'26 Paige....type of engine?

Well, Std Cat sez Paige built own engines thru WWI "...the higher powered Paiges of the Twenties carried Cont'ls...the straight eight,,,for 1927 was a Lycooming...".

HOWEVER, it may not be that simple...

A 38 Victor gasket catalog lists, under Paige:

Models 6-66-70-21-24...1920-25...6cyl...Cont 8AA/10A... no 8AA in the Cont section, but 8A, 9A and 10A are listed as 33/4x5)

Model 45......................1927.......6cyl...Cont 18L (18L lumped in with several other "L"s in Cont. section, two b/s listed for the batch: 23/4x43/4 and 27/8x43/4; no info on which "L" was which bore)

Models 65-72................1926-27..a Paige engine 31/4x5, HG #654

Model 75......................1927 6cyl...a Paige engine 33/8x5, HG #654, same as above ( no engine using HG #654 appears in the Cont section therein)

A 1930 McCord gasket catalog lists the first line above models 1920-25 with Cont 8AA, 9AA and 10A

On a second entry it shows "Paige Motor, 6cyl, passenger 1926-27 (and Jewett 6cyl 1925-26) a Paige 31/4 x 5 engine...

On a third entry it shows "Paige 6cyl passenger model 6-45 1927 (and New Day Jewett 1925-26) Cont'l Motor... 23/4x43/4, listing gaskets a couple of which are shared with 9L and 18L Cont'ls...

A `1933 Perfect Circle catalog lists several 26-27 models, all with "own" engine...

Sounds like Cont'l may've been tweaking some off the shelf models for Paige???

I have a Cam that fits a Paige if anyone needs one. One I helped a friend with a number of years ago was early 20's. In fact a 22 if memory serves me correctly. It had a broken housing/ striped out holes where the starter bolted in. He tried to cob it rather than fix it correctly. The kicker is that he had the parts to put it right but sold them. I could never quite understand that. I understand that the car has been put right since by it's new owners. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

KK: Moving down to the Graham & Paige forum here will get you in touch with other owners as well as Graham-Paige.com, the Graham and Paige club, who should be able to get you a definite ID on your engine as well as suggestions/parts info...

Generally, on obsolete Cont'ls, the place to start is Garrad Moon at Monte's in Chicago (a dealer in obsolete Cont'l parts) ---garradmoon@montes@flash.net or montesequipment.com...(don't know how Garrad is pronounced but he's often referred to a Gerry/Jerry Moon)...

DD: Std cat says Paige had two engines in 1922, both 6s: a 45HP and a 70HP...but the same confusion reigns in my old catalogs as above. If the club can't ID it, and it has a part number shown, email Gerry/Jerry as it's almost certainly some kind of Cont'l...

Thanks mucho Bud! I will move down to the G-P forum henceforth. I like to start inquiries on this forum as I usually get helpful well informed responses from a broader membership. Hats off (or "shout out" as is said today) to you for your interest, effort and time taken to get me going in the right direction. Safe driving with miles of smiles to you for the 2014 driving season! Regards, Jeff P. / MN

Hello Jeff, I have a 1926 Paige 6-72 I purchased last July. It has the original engine installed WITH a Paige data plate on the engine. I had read that Continental supplied Paige with engines, but there is no plate to indicate that it is a Continental engine. I am curious too as to who made the engine. If it has the Remy 917A generator watch out for disintegration of the rear brush frame. I am trying to sort out a replacement or repair to the unit I have. Good luck...........

Yes, it looks like it is going bad. My generator was much worse yet was charging well. I'm trying to make a new part myself. Not so good so far. I have also ordered a 6 volt alternator, but do not know if it will fit quite right. Die cast parts are such a curse !

You guys need to get to an aluminum and brass foundry and have these cast in better stuff than original. Dandy Dave!

It sure seems to me that someone has already done this although I can't remember any details. I would question a few starter generator people to see if they have heard of this. The ones with pot metal ends will always go bad.