Newbie with a 1957 Buick Super

Guest COMPRESSION

Be sure that the accelerator pump is working. You may need an electric pump near the tank to fill the carb before starting. The available highly volatile gas will evaporate out of the carb in a day, requiring extended cranking to fill.

I would be surprised if the leak came back.

Something to try if the rear main seal leak gets bad: http://www.buickrestorer.com/rearseal/rearseal.html (from my website).

Willie

What Willie says is right.

I just went out to crank mine. It's been less than 48 hours since I drove it. It took several minutes of cranking before it fired (crank ten seconds rest for 30 seconds).

I've got to put an electric fuel pump on mine.

That cranking to fill the carburetor is a lot of wear and tear on the starter and battery. ...

After cruising Saturday, on the way home, I found a non-ethanol gasoline station. I topped off there (8 gallons).

I'm going to start making a regular trip toward that gas station

Guest COMPRESSION

I have a pump I will throw on there, just have to figure out where I should grab ignition power from.....

Will the electric pump push fuel through the mechanical pump? Or I am supposed to not use the mechanical pump?

I can talk for days about EFI fuel pumps and the minutia of the modern fuel systems, but I am still a rookie with carbs.....

All electric pumps will push fuel through the mechanical pump, but the mechanical pump will not pull fuel through some electric pumps. Airtex is one that can be pulled through, but I despise those rattly things and have had some failures. If using a non pull through pump you can loop around it with a check valve.

Willie

Guest COMPRESSION
All electric pumps will push fuel through the mechanical pump, but the mechanical pump will not pull fuel through some electric pumps. Airtex is one that can be pulled through, but I despise those rattly things and have had some failures. If using a non pull through pump you can loop around it with a check valve.

Willie

Great idea with the bypass/check parallel to the electric pump. I think I will run it that way. Thanks for the advice guys.

Guest COMPRESSION

Still waiting for a few last parts to get the electric pump installed.

In the meantime, maybe you guys can help figure out where this oil leak is coming from...

30ic0lw.jpg

We have the starter at the bottom front and center, coated in oil. You can see a drop if oil gathering on the engine block just above it. That drop seems to be coming from the head gasket area. Is this a common leak point? Any experience in this area?

I originally thought the oil leak was my rear main seal, but after spending some up close and personal time with flashlight, I see it looks to be coming from the head gasket seam.

Speaking of rear main, I took the flex plate inspection cover off and took a look inside. Does this look like a leaking rear main to you?

Rear main leaks usually sling oil to the passenger side and would be drips off the rear pan bolts.

It can leak out of the head/gasket interface. First place could be the pressurized oil to the rocker which comes up the front and will have a matching hole in the gasket in the rear (easier to visualize if you have a headgasket in front of you). Second place could be the return oil (thru valve pushrod holes) getting between the gasket and the head. But the first place to look is further above at the valve cover.

Willie

Guest COMPRESSION
Rear main leaks usually sling oil to the passenger side and would be drips off the rear pan bolts.

It can leak out of the head/gasket interface. First place could be the pressurized oil to the rocker which comes up the front and will have a matching hole in the gasket in the rear (easier to visualize if you have a headgasket in front of you). Second place could be the return oil (thru valve pushrod holes) getting between the gasket and the head. But the first place to look is further above at the valve cover.

Willie

I know if is hard to see in the video, but there is oil accumulation more on the passenger side than driver side. Just not sure how much I am looking for.

I confirmed that the oil leak in the picture is NOT coming from the valve cover, the head is dry above the exh manifold. I guess that would lead to only one conclusion that the head gasket has an oil leak. Next time I fire up the car I will inspect that area and see if I can see the leak in action. It is dripping right on to the starter, then on to my exhaust pipe resulting in some burning smells.

On good note, there is not rust in this area!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest COMPRESSION

Valve cover gaskets were replaced during the resurrection process. But I will check them closer. Still trying to figure out where this oil is coming from....

Anyway, electric fuel pump REALLY reduced cranking time!!! Thanks for the tip. She starts from cold much faster now.

I have been driving it. She is a joy! Still not sure what my long term plans are going to be....Keep her and street rod it, or sell....who knows. But for now she is a fun runner!

• 3 months later...
Guest COMPRESSION

Hello everyone. 

This car is for sale now. I got it to a good running driving state and I am sure someone else can take it to the next level. Someone with more time/money/space than myself. Fun project, just short on resources.

I posted an ad in the classifieds section.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest walterpilot

If you  get tired of it, I'll take it off your hands......(I won't even charge you..LOL)

Oops, missed the last post,.....same deal, you can't sell it..... B)

Wal

Edited by walterpilot (see edit history)

Its kind of funny that in the same evening I am working on a 2006 Lotus Elise with an aftermarket turbocharger kit and stand-alone programmable engine management system, and then a few hours later I am totally stumped figuring out how vacuum-powered wipers work on a 57 year old car. I love the diversity!

Don't waste your brain power on vacuum wipers, just know that they quit when you mash the gas.  If you want to drive the car in the rain (you do get a little rain up that way, don't you? :P ), dump the vacuum wipers and convert to electric:

https://www.newportwipers.com/

It's a bolt on conversion, so don't worry about 'ruining' the car...

walterpilot: I have a feeling you and I jumped into this after reading page one of a 9 page conversation!

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)