Dodge DA 6 engine differences

stakeside

I have a DB truck with the DA 6. The motor number is on the block near the front motor mount on the pass side and exhaust pipe exits at rear of engine.

i believe the passenger car DA 6 was stamped on the same side but nearer to the fire wall. The reason being the location of the exhaust header pipe obstructed the view of number.

These engines carry the "H" code prefix.

I have a DB truck with the DA 6. The motor number is on the block near the front motor mount on the pass side and exhaust pipe exits at rear of engine.

i believe the passenger car DA 6 was stamped on the same side but nearer to the fire wall. The reason being the location of the exhaust header pipe obstructed the view of number.

These engines carry the "H" code prefix.

Still curious about differences between truck and pass car "H" code DA6 engines. Can any body out there confirm his with examples.

Also are the engine internals identical?

It would seem these were mass produced engines and to modify an engine that already has seven main bearings to be used in a truck would be overkill.

As they came off the assembly line some were pulled off for trucks and stamped accordingly either location in sequence.

I had a DA6 2-seater passenger convertible with an engine with numbers beginning with "T" .... no-one was ever able to identify that engine, although we suspect it was from a truck and made in Canada. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Does your engine have updraft carburetor? Also is the distributor located on top of the engine or on lower right side looking from front?

Not sure exactly what you need, but I have a '29 DA 6 sedan. If you look directly towards the passenger side of engine the engine number is above valve cover toward firewall. The manifold is above that number and the exhaust exits from front of manifold. The updraft carb is to left of the downward part of exhaust pipe almost at center of manifold above. The air cleaner is to the left of carb. My distributor is at top of engine. Hope that might help.

Not sure exactly what you need, but I have a '29 DA 6 sedan. If you look directly towards the passenger side of engine the engine number is above valve cover toward firewall. The manifold is above that number and the exhaust exits from front of manifold. The updraft carb is to left of the downward part of exhaust pipe almost at center of manifold above. The air cleaner is to the left of carb. My distributor is at top of engine. Hope that might help.

Thanks for information Bob. I am interested in the differences between the DA "H" code engines used for cars and trucks.

i still believe the location of the engine # stamp and the shape of the manifold are the only differences.

I am still curious about the post of Lenny in this thread stating his DA has a "T" code engine. I wonder if it is a later replacement engine. If I new the location of the distributor and a fuel pump that would confirm it.

Thanks for information Bob. I am interested in the differences between the DA "H" code engines used for cars and trucks.

i still believe the location of the engine # stamp and the shape of the manifold are the only differences.

I am still curious about the post of Lenny in this thread stating his DA has a "T" code engine. I wonder if it is a later replacement engine. If I new the location of the distributor and a fuel pump that would confirm it.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe the "T" engine may be a replacement and the "T" stands for "tested".

Truck engine and auto engine internals are not all the same, if you were more specific on which parts you were specifically considering swapping and which specific engines you are referring to than I could be of more help but to sit down and go line by line thru old parts books trying to note differences/changes is much too time consuming for me at this point.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Truck engine and auto engine internals are not all the same, if you were more specific on which parts you were specifically considering swapping and which specific engines you are referring to than I could be of more help but to sit down and go line by line thru old parts books trying to note differences/changes is much too time consuming for me at this point.

I picked up my free DA 6 engine. It is out of a passenger car and has engine # H 85-055. I also have H 79-xxx and H88-xxx truck engines. If I choose to rebuild the car engine I will know for sure any differences between them.

I have attached a picture of the pass car motor #. I do not know what the # 2 means.

I would like to know a good source of "H" code engine numbers and production dates. Can any body help me with this??

?post-71470-143142497195_thumb.jpg

This reference does not show any "H" or "T" prefix engine codes. If you have a reference pass it on.

Like I said, you need to hunt around on the T137.com web site. They show many truck models, all with engineering codes starting with T. Where there are engine numbers given, they often start with the engineering code, for example T137 (http://www.t137.com/registry/help/partspages/46/slide001.html).

Here are some more:

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/partspages/3947/slide006.html

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/partspages/3947/slide002.html and the slides between.

Then there is this:

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

At the bottom of this page it seems to indicate some Plymouths had some kind of number starting with a T:

http://www.allpar.com/old/model-guide/

That will do for the moment. Now to look for an engine starting with H. Hmmm.

Guest 1930
I picked up my free DA 6 engine. It is out of a passenger car and has engine # H 85-055. I also have H 79-xxx and H88-xxx truck engines. If I choose to rebuild the car engine I will know for sure any differences between them.

I have attached a picture of the pass car motor #. I do not know what the # 2 means.

I would like to know a good source of "H" code engine numbers and production dates. Can any body help me with this??

?[ATTACH=CONFIG]246339[/ATTACH]

Wish I could help but cannot right now, all my time is being consumed with work and then my own truck project. There simply is not enough time in the day,

Ive spent quite a few years doing my best to help other D.B owners and now its my time to work on my own stuff.

Quick and easy replies are no problems if I have the answers but to do the re-search is too time consuming at this point. Sorry I cannot be of more help!

• 6 years later...

I believe that DODGE put out 4 different models of 6 cylinder cars around 1928-29 .  A Standard 6 , a Senior 6, a DA  [ I don't know what the initials stood for] and the VICTORY SIX.

I am in Australia and always wondered whay they called it the VICTORY SIX.    It was because it came out in 1928 , 10 years after Victory in WW1.      The one I had was built in 1929 ..

It was a RH drive Tourer, had a chain driven generator and the exhaust manifold outlet [ I am almost certain was at the rear of the engine on the RH side ].  The steel pedals 

soon became too hot to drive bare-footed.   All steel body by BUDD, Philadelphia.      Vacuum tank fuel pump on the LH [ passenger ] engine side of fire wall and 6V battery under the passdenger side 

front seat.     The car had a full width bumper across the back with a folding " carrier" and the very distinguishing feature of a place in each front mudguard to carry a spare wheel.   So it had two spare wheels.  The other feature which I havent seen on any of your photos was    VICTORY SIX    on the radiator.    Unfortunately, all this is 60 years ago and I only wish I had the car now, or even knew where it was..

Den001.jpg

• Like 2

The Victory 6 had the generator on the American passenger side and was gear driven. I acquired a DA6 that was in a Victory Six model. It appears the Victory six did not have to be in the Victory Model.

This is the engine I got out of the Victory 6 model

8098E0C4-42B1-438E-9BF4-7C4F0537908D.thumb.jpeg.3aeb674191651eb851cc4e7661672e47.jpeg