underhood wire black plastic bundle covering split loom

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Sorry to say I have let my car go I need some advice. Due to a back injury I can no longer bend over the fenders for any length of time and just about all the factory black wire bundle covering has cracked and is disintegrating. Anybody have a guess what the labor would cost to replace it? I do run a lower temp thermostat but I guess the previous owner did not. If I had a lift I could do it.

Thanks all

Richard

Since this has gone unanswered for almost a day.......... it is not rocket science, any neighbor boys (driving age) or friends that have sons or grandsons that want to make some $$. The plastic covering is available in different sizes. I know that Harbor Freight has it and probably many other places.

No need to pay a mechanic $75 an hour and they will probably screw it up anyway.

You have probably noticed that at the ends and other areas of the harness there's what looks like black electricians tape holding the split together. It's not

It's a PVC vinyl tape with a higher temperature adhesive on it. If you use regular vinyl tape it will soon begin to unravel and start looking like crap. (Don't ask me how I know.) The tape you should use can be found on Ebay. It doesn't cost much more that the regular stuff so you might as well get some and give it to whoever does the job so you don't have to worry about whether or not they used the right stuff. Here's a link to an example.

You have probably noticed that at the ends and other areas of the harness there's what looks like black electricians tape holding the split together. It's not

It's a PVC vinyl tape with a higher temperature adhesive on it. If you use regular vinyl tape it will soon begin to unravel and start looking like crap. (Don't ask me how I know.) The tape you should use can be found on Ebay. It doesn't cost much more that the regular stuff so you might as well get some and give it to whoever does the job so you don't have to worry about whether or not they used the right stuff. Here's a link to an example.

Good information John. Thanks for the tip. I've been needing some of that tape myself. I've added it to the Reatta Store. It is about half the cost of the eBay tape. It can be found here: Wire Harness Easy-Wrap PVC Tape, 3/4" If I know the different sizes needed of the plastic wire harness covering I would add that to the store too.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

This thread caught my eye because I have replaced not only several areas of plastic looming here and there but also a few wires that got burned, especially the harness that runs across the top of the motor.

HUGE suggestion here for Ronnie: if it is determined that this is indeed a common Reatta problem, I would suggest not only offering high heat resistant black tape at the Reatta Store but also heat resistant plastic looming too!!

I use the Dorman brand of looming and I feel it's kind of thin and I doubt it has good heat resistant properties. I mean, why go to the trouble of using heat resistant black tape on black looming that is most likely not heat resistant.

So, is there any plastic looming out there that are heat resistant ? Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle
Grammer (see edit history)

HUGE suggestion here for Ronnie: if it is determined that this is indeed a common Reatta problem, I would suggest not only offering high heat resistant black tape at the Reatta Store but also heat resistant plastic looming too!!

I use the Dorman brand of looming and I feel it's kind of thin and I doubt it has good heat resistant properties. I mean, why go to the trouble of using heat resistant black tape on black looming that is most likely not heat resistant.

The plastic heat resistant looming that covers the wires is what I was referring to in the last sentence of my last post. I just don't know what sizes are commonly used throughout the Reatta engine compartment. I've had generic size. I've had recommendations but not specific sizes. I hate to take mine apart just to find out the correct size that is needed.

In a word, yes.

For more words look here. The description is as follows:

High Temperature Nylon Slit Wire Loom Tubing. Used for higher temperature wiring applications such as engine compartment circuits. Gray identifying stripe runs the length of the slit tubing. Temperature rating of -40° to 300° F, (-40° to 149° C).

Sounds like what we need. It's sold in sizes from 1/4" to 1" in 1/8" increments. These are measurements of the inside diameter of the tube.

The Loom tubing I used in my car was the GB brand found in the electrical section of Menards. I don't know what it's made of but the label says it's good for temps between -40 to 275 degrees F. So far, so good.

Ron, when I re-wrapped some of mine, I used sizes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" IDs. That leaves 5/8" and 1". Might just as well list them all in your store. What could it hurt?

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Guest WEB 38

John Did you get it in the Valpo store? I looked for some in the Mich city store a couple weeks ago and couldn't find any. Bill

Bill,

Yes, I was the Valp. store. (can't bring myself to say Valpo. Rhymes with Alpo.) The Home Depot had some also. This was last last spring that I did this. I don't know their stock situation right now.

The local Advance Auto had some but I returned what I'd bought from them because what I found at the home supply stores was cheaper.

I could get twice as much for half the price at Menards.

It's possible that, that may have been an error on my part seeing as I now know that there is a difference in materials used in making the loom tubing.

But, as I mentioned before, I've not seen any degradation in what I installed but, it's not been a year yet since installation.

Ronnie has said that if he can find a supplier through Amazon, he will list some in his store. You could check there sometime.

In the link I provided in post #8, they sell the split-loom tubing by the foot and it appears that it is what we need spec. wise.

One more thing... the loom found at Menards was in the section where they stock the cable couplers, wire nuts and tools used by electricians and cable guys.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

I'm looking for the High Temp Nylon Loom to add to the Reatta Store now. Seems like finding it in shorter lengths might be a problem. What lengths would be desirable? If there is a need to buy it on a per foot basis, it will not be possible to add the loom to the Reatta Store.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Ron,

The packages that I have left over show that they came in 3 to 7 foot lengths.

I guess in an effort to standardize the packaging and prices, the larger the inside diameter the shorter the lengths in the bags.

John F.

I'm afraid Amazon isn't going to be a good source for the split wire looms. In researching it this morning I found that most of the sizes they offer come in 25-250' rolls.

Guest Richard D

Thank You everybody, I have been looking for guys with their first cars and folks I can approach to ask. Back when I was still working on aircraft navigation instruments I was using a 3M black stretch tape that came in different widths and had a mil spec #. It is not sticky but if you stretch it about 25% as you wrap it it will fuse to itself. Very strong and handy and as I remember expensive. I will try some of the links that were sent.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Just an FYI that I happened to need something at Home Depot and ran across some looming. It is the GB brand and says it is "heat resistant material " but doesn't indicate any temperature range. Stock number is FLX-3810 and is 3/8 X 10 ft. This is a good size if you're only routing maybe 3-5 wires total.

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

Guest rewright

I've did this job about 6 years ago and even though I used the "heat resistant" sleeve, it's time to do the job again. The plastic sleeves just do not hold up well over time against the heat of the engine compartment. I haven't yet done the research, but this time I plan on using some black braided sleeves. They cost more but given their woven cloth nature I feel they would last a long time.

Guest rewright
This place http://www.wirecare.com/

shows the nylon loom in a flyer but I don't see it on the web page. They have other interesting things.

I was thinking something along the lines of this :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N8GOV8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1SZGWWWN16U7S&coliid=I2Y62H2SUT973W

Good reviews and it comes in various sizes. E-Bay has similar as well, but I would feel more comfortable purchasing from Amazon due to easy returns.

Guest r_wright
I'm afraid Amazon isn't going to be a good source for the split wire looms. In researching it this morning I found that most of the sizes they offer come in 25-250' rolls.

There are sites that sell the Techflex split braided sleeves in lengths of 10' for smaller diameter and 5' for larger. Wirecare.com is one site. This stuff has an operating temperature up to 257 degrees and has decent reviews on Amazon.