Sign in to follow this  
Rogillio

1926 DB Coupe

Or you can go on E-bay and pick one up for a good price still as long as its not in mint condition or some gouger hasnt got his greedy hands on it.

Oh my! That LOOKS like a very nice ORIGINAL Coupe! Once you do your research you may find it is better to keep it as original as possible and just do the necessary maintenance to have everything working up to spec. You can also do some "creative" cleanup to make it look the best it can at its advanced age. But the aged look is the charm of it all! Plus people researching info on these very nice older models have something original to go by. There is value in that!

You will find Parts and Mechanical Manuals to be necessary. Membership in marquis clubs is also very helpful.

Hey guys - aren't the wood parts in these older Dodges all made of Ash? I thought I heard that somewhere. It was because the grain was much tighter hence a stronger piece of wood???

Also, thought I heard mentioned that the early paints were Nitrocellulose. That would not have lead in it. BUT AGAIN, maybe you don't really want to "sand stuff" anyway until a solid decision is made on "original" or "restoration". Just saying... You are pretty early in the game yet. ;)

Have fun with your car and keep us informed as time goes by. You will find a lot of help here on the Forum.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Nice DB coupe, and at a reasonable price. I have a ´24 coupe. Patience will pay off for the parts you need. Join the the DBC club. Great folks who always try to help out.

BTW Rogillio: Where are you in this great big car loving world?

I am in AL.

i had my first aaaaw sh....moment tonight. I was sandblasting the rust around the radiator and sprayed the fins. It turned copper orange so I kept spraying.....then I saw a drop od water. There is a constant drip.

i think the car has been previously restored. It has a perfect headliner in the cab and the upholstery is perfect.

Im im going for historical preservation. So want it to look like it did back in the day.

Whoops! A live and learn moment.

Here's a (late) tip. Always go for the least aggressive techniques first. Maybe try using a solvent on that rust first. There are some out there that will remove the rust and not disturb the plating or paint finish around the rust. There have been numerous posts on this Forum concerning rust removal. Personally, I like "EvapoRust" as a first line rust remover. Others here like to use a form of electrolysis (but that could be harder with the parts still on the car). The radiator frame is plated in nickel (not chrome) so replating costs are just a tad cheaper (usually). Actually, as far as I know, there is NO chrome on your car. It's too old for that style of finish.

It looks like you are anxious to get going on the car but I think you will find a lot of us would suggest to slow a bit and take some extra time to do some research about the "best" way to proceed to the ends that you are hoping for on any of your needed operations. The radiator damage IS going to be problematic, just like you sensed in your "aaaw sh**" moment. But I am sure there will be suggestions on the Forum here as to how to "make that all better".

Good luck as you soldier on!

I found an side mirror in the trunk. I don't know where it goes. It is a beveled mirror! Very fool! But does it belong? No idea. I redoing the interior but how do I know what "original" is?

post-100407-143142485103_thumb.jpg

There were two old hub caps in the truck so I decided to clean them up for spares. One of them has a bullet hole in it! I think I may be restoring one of Al Capone's cars! :-)

I'm not sure what the other thing is but I think it is some sort of vent. I am remaking the floor boards and this was attached it the floor. It was connected via a metal tube to the transmission. It cleaned up like a new penny.....well, after soaking in parts cleaner over night and then about 2 hrs of cleaning/polishing with a Dremmel Tool.

post-100407-143142485082_thumb.jpg

The part you cleaned up that connected to the transmission looks like a grease cup...I've got a similar item under the floorboards on my '29. Get familiar with a lot of little things like this that require regular attention....a car of this vintage is a lot different than one of newer vintage...if you don't have one I'd recommend an owner's manual. Very cool car! Have fun w/ it! BTW, that side view mirror could be an aftermarket item that an owner bought from someplace like Western Auto back in the day....I've got an cigarette lighter, registration holder and heater that weren't original to the car, but added early on, so I kept them.

The part you cleaned up that connected to the transmission looks like a grease cup...I've got a similar item under the floorboards on my '29. Get familiar with a lot of little things like this that require regular attention....a car of this vintage is a lot different than one of newer vintage...if you don't have one I'd recommend an owner's manual. Very cool car! Have fun w/ it! BTW, that side view mirror could be an aftermarket item that an owner bought from someplace like Western Auto back in the day....I've got an cigarette lighter, registration holder and heater that weren't original to the car, but added early on, so I kept them.

So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet.

post-100407-143142485349_thumb.jpg

Here is the mirror. It is in good condition but I don't see any place where it might have been mounted. It just happened to be among the junk in the trunk.....like the 2 extra hub caps.

"So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet."

Look at your manual, but I think that grease cup is just for the throwout bearing. There are all sorts of grease fittings on these old cars.

"So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet."

Look at your manual, but I think that grease cup is just for the throwout bearing. There are all sorts of grease fittings on these old cars.

I will ill show my ignorance here....the manual calls it a "clutch release bearing grease tube". Is that the same as the throwout bearing?

I will ill show my ignorance here....the manual calls it a "clutch release bearing grease tube". Is that the same as the throwout bearing?

YES

As for body wood, the only wood is the floorboards if I'm not mistaken (true on touring cars). Dodge was one of the first to use an all-steel body so there are none of the complex curved wood frame pieces as used on many other cars of the era. I would guess chances are good the floorboards are original. I'm not sure what species wood they may be. I also plan to do mine in oak.

As for body wood, the only wood is the floorboards if I'm not mistaken (true on touring cars). Dodge was one of the first to use an all-steel body so there are none of the complex curved wood frame pieces as used on many other cars of the era. I would guess chances are good the floorboards are original. I'm not sure what species wood they may be. I also plan to do mine in oak.

The he wood floor is not original. First clue is the boards are a soft, light pine and would not last. But the real clue is the backside of ghetto wood.....it is wood siding. You can see the lap board siding pattern. They used this to replace the floor because it was already tongue and groove. Last clue is the cut outs for the brake, clutch and such. Very poor workmanship, crooked cuts....a hack job.

the only other wood is in the roof frame and cab walls and frame for rear window. This wood is original but needs replacing as it is rotten. I am a woodworker and will enjoy replacing all the wood.

I just found out my uncle bought this vehicle as his first vehicle in 1951 for $50. He said when he bought it, it was already older than he was. It had a cracked head and only fired off of 3 cylinders till it warmed up. I asked him to look for some old photos of it for me.

So coo!

Have most of the wood off the 26 Dodge Coupe blanked out in oak. This is oak from our trees so it has memories. Used to be a big long tree swing hanging from the twin oaks. The two oak trees probably dated back to pre-civil war. Planned to 3/4". Will use for floor, trunk floor and back dash behind the seats.

Where in AL? I am also in AL (Huntsville)

I too am in Huntsville.

I tried to attach this picture last nigth of the wood but can't seem to post pictures with my iPad. Here is the wood for the floor, back dash and trunk.

post-100407-143142488069_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering why you have wood in the trunk. My 25 roadster is all steel in the trunk. The only wood in the whle car is the floorboards. Jay

I'm wondering why you have wood in the trunk. My 25 roadster is all steel in the trunk. The only wood in the whle car is the floorboards. Jay

Good question. Half of the trunk is metal but the part closest to the rear seat is a wide board. IDK if that was original or if that was done with a previous restoration. That is a problem I having a lot - how do I know what "original" was? I've done a lot of searches for 26 and 27 Dodges and have looked at a lot of pictures and that helps....OTOH, who's to say if their vehicles are 100% original. There is no rust in the rest of the trunk so that might indicate that part was wood and rotted out and was replaced.....then again,it might mean the entire trunk rusted out and the replaced part with sheet metal and part with wood.

I just found this picture. It looks like the trunk had 2 distinct peices of sheet metal. I have the upper peice still in mine but the lower one had been replace with very old plywood. For the time being I will replace it with oak but I will keep my eyes open for the original metal plate that is supposed to go there...or maybe I can cut it out of sheet metal and tack weld it. It is inside the trunk so it is not a big priority but thanks for pointing this out.

post-100407-143142488782_thumb.jpg