65 Riviera WIre hub cap question

coast

On one of my wire hub caps I am missing 2 of the retention clips that hold the hub cap to the wheel. they are about 1 1/2 inches long and are riveted onto the wheel with a spike on the end that hold the cap onto the wheel.

Does anyone know if these are reproduced?

Thanks

Bob L.

Or perhaps you could find some later model covers that aren't as old/rusty and drill out the rivets that hold the spring to them and use the new spring steel parts on yours. You'll have to use spring steel or the new ones will bend when you put them on and just take on the new compressed shape.

what I would really like to find are some new wheels that are retro looking to the original rally wheels. So far have not had much luck to do the 5x5 bolt pattern. I am sure I will find some eventually.

what I would really like to find are some new wheels that are retro looking to the original rally wheels. So far have not had much luck to do the 5x5 bolt pattern. I am sure I will find some eventually.

Take a look at the American Racing Salt Flat or their AR500. They're sort of similar to the original rally wheel but they come in sizes other than just 15 x 6.

Ed

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels?year=1964&make=Buick&model=Riviera

Guest rusty_bucket
I imagine any replacements I find will be rusted and ready to break. I found some metal in my shop, I think I will try to reproduce.

I think he meant you could just buy a "Buick" wire hubcap that was in good condition and replace the "Buick" centerpiece with the "Riviera" center from your current hubcap.

If you have an ebay account, look at this list of completed auctions. You can see the buick and riviera ones are the same but with different centers. Can be bought from $50-$100

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=%2865%2C+1965%29+%28riviera%2C+riveria%2C+rivi%2C+buick%29+hubcap+wire&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Edited by rusty_bucket (see edit history)

Ed,

I really like the ar500, I thought I had looked before and they did not come in the 5x5 but now I see the do so that is great news. Have you seen these on a Riv in the past? I now need to determine what size I want 15 or 16 inches? any thoughts?

I would say a couple of things should be considered. How close to stock do you want the car to appear? What size tire could you run on each diameter and what kind of stance would this give the car. It's your car, look at others and see what's out there that you like. I'll try to find a link that shows you different wheels in different diameters with different sized tires so you can compare. The program I'm thinking of also lets you raise and lower the ride height.

Ed