64 coil wiring question

Guest atomickneedrop

Guest atomickneedrop

Hello Buick Scholars,

I'm having a bit of a troubleshooting problem. I have a 1964 Riviera, fresh engine rebuild, fresh distributor rebuild, carb refreshed. I can start it cold and it starts right up. Warm it up, take it for a spin and it performs flawlessly. Let off of the throttle and it dies.... and won't restart. Unless you put twelve volts to the coil from the battery or alt. doesn't matter. I'm running a new pertronix coil and ignition. Unfortunately I don't have the original coil to test. What do you think I should do next?

Thanks

Kraig

I don't use the Pertronix ignition, but I think they want it to get full 12 volts all the time. The factory wiring has the power feed to the coil going through a resistance wire to knock the volts to the coil down while running to about 8 volts. So that might be your problem. Check the Pertronix documentation.

Hello Buick Scholars,

I'm having a bit of a troubleshooting problem. I have a 1964 Riviera, fresh engine rebuild, fresh distributor rebuild, carb refreshed. I can start it cold and it starts right up. Warm it up, take it for a spin and it performs flawlessly. Let off of the throttle and it dies.... and won't restart. Unless you put twelve volts to the coil from the battery or alt. doesn't matter. I'm running a new pertronix coil and ignition. Unfortunately I don't have the original coil to test. What do you think I should do next?

Thanks

Kraig

I ran my '64 with a Pertronix coil and ignition with the 8-10 VDC for a while with no problems. I since am using the 12-14 VDC that they recommend. Might be a temperature sensitive secondary winding in the coil. Swap out the coil first.