Is it worth rebuilding a Rochester 4GC

DaveC6970

I used to sell paints and chemical products at shows and flea markets. The sealer always came in quart cans. I would tell buyers that one quart in a 20 gallon tank was not a lot to slosh around, or over the hump on a Model A tank. I'd say "I bet you have a friend who needs their tank sealed, too. Take two quarts and do a better job on both. I'm sure he will pay the $20 for his quart." I rarely sold less than two.

When I started you bought brown glass bottles of gasket shellac with a twisted wire and a dauber at the end for sealing. Although I don't use that any more, I will put a little sealer on my fingers and just pinch a very light coat on the float bowl cover gasket if I see stress cracks or deterioration of the sealing ridge. Setting the float is critical. How about those carbs with mechanically operated float bowl vents.

Sloshing has an easy cure. When I was High School age I read that chauffeurs had to be able to drive with a full glass of water on the dash and not spill it. I have always tried to drive that way at least 97.6% of the time. It works pretty good.

Oh, that seepage, here is an EPA guy who fould seepage at a float bowl gasket:

I gotta go check my evaporator canister!

And on the driving style, my wife and I went out with a friend in his later model Rolls-Royce. He drives in a manner that sloshes fuel (to be kind). My wife got home and told me "Gee, your Buick seems to be a lot smoother than ****'s Rolls-Royce." I just smiled and said "Yes, the Duke of Windsor thought so, too."

Bernie