Would really appreciate a bit of help...

Guest rlbostick

Guest rlbostick

Purchased my first classic car recently - 1964 Dodge dart 270 - and its in great shape. I had let it sit for a few months and when I took off the cover it was leaning towards the drivers side. A mechanic said the torsion bar broke on the drivers side. I m trying to find a torsion bar at a reasonable price and I am having no luck. It seems like most places dont carry them or only carry hi-performance bars costing 3-4 hundred..I called around to some auto junk yards and u pick it places and that was a dead end.. if anyone has a website/company or can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Randy

Guest rlbostick

thank you for information. Found a person parting out a 1964 dodge dart gt 2dr w slant 6. I have 1964 dodge dart 270 4 door w slant 6. Would they have used the same torsion bars when built? thank you

Guest AlCapone

But just remember it is a used item that may well have reached its stress point. No guarantee of course comes with a used torsion bar ! It was and it is my opinion that when it comes to torsion bars, new is better ! Wayne

Guest rlbostick

thank you everyone for the info. wayne - if I followed your advice and went with a new bar and since -at least from what I have seen - you can not just purchase one would you go ahead and replace the other that is not broken also? or just save it in case its ever needed? thank you. randy

Guest AlCapone

I owned several cars with torsion bars and yes when I replaced one I always replaced the second one. On the first two times I replaced one and the second one went within days. Likely not what you wanted to hear but it is mt first hand experience. Hope it helps. Good luck, Wayne

p.s. The first one I replaced was a 1957 Dodge Custom Royal and the second bar broke literally while the car was pulling out of the service bay. A hell of a bang let me tell you !

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)