JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

I'm not sure that I quite qualify for driving my '41, but I started it up for the first time in a couple of months, pulled it out of the garage a few feet and drove it back in to give it a bit of exercise.

It certainly was nice to sit in it and move it about!

Keith

• Like 3

Went for a cruise today....

Met a 59 rambler at the gas station and a 6x galaxie 500 at an intersection.  75 degree weather brings them all out! 

20180216_115657.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Following the rain this morning, I went out to the Farmers Branch Historical Park this afternoon and took a couple of photos in the sunshine.  May be a couple of days till the Buick can go out to play again, since rain is in the forecast for several days. AACA meeting tomorrow, so maybe if the weather man is wrong, the Buick can get out sooner.IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.4aa3119225257eb364ee1ba9240dc821.JPGIMG_0552.thumb.JPG.65db719ef491fa782c3e883fc64fcbcd.JPG

• Like 11

We had a local AACA Tour today. I put a little bit over 150 miles on my 1937 Buick Century.  We had a good turnout with 9 antique cars plus quite a group of folks driving modern cars. It was a good day with great food and good friends. After a great Barbecue lunch, the group stopped at the Country Barn Bakery and bought a lot of great stuff that none of use really need but always enjoy. Of the 9 antiques, 2 were Buicks, a 1935 40 Series and my 1937 Model 61. Some of our members enjoyed ice cream and Kettle Corn from their "modern" Kettle Corn setup. On the way home, I stopped at an old gas station building and took a few photos of my car. 

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, jvelde said:

Following the rain this morning, I went out to the Farmers Branch Historical Park this afternoon and took a couple of photos in the sunshine.  May be a couple of days till the Buick can go out to play again, since rain is in the forecast for several days. AACA meeting tomorrow, so maybe if the weather man is wrong, the Buick can get out sooner.IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.4aa3119225257eb364ee1ba9240dc821.JPGIMG_0552.thumb.JPG.65db719ef491fa782c3e883fc64fcbcd.JPG

Weatherman was not wrong, has rained every day since Saturday - think we are at about 8 inches and still counting.  Supposed to be  sunny Sunday and Monday, so may get to enjoy the Buick then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jvelde said:

Weatherman was not wrong, has rained every day since Saturday - think we are at about 8 inches and still counting.  Supposed to be  sunny Sunday and Monday, so may get to enjoy the Buick then.

It was a tepid 63* here on Tuesday, with sunny skies.  Fresh off snow on Monday the roads were coated with salt!  But I got the 56 out in the driveway for a while.  Then it was 72* here yesterday, with cloudy skies, and since I have a head cold I didn't get to take a car out. Probably just as well since the roads still appeared to be coated with salt.  Today it is 33* and it's snowing!   No wonder so many people get sick!

I know its not the weekend but... we've gotten our cold snap finally with weather in the single digits. Today the icicles refused to melt. 

20180222_181901.jpg

20180222_181015.jpg

• Like 4

How come the young guy has that frosty Buick picture and the old guy has a picture like this?

iced1.jpg.a8d545aa6d96c5555b9fda20e6e215fb.jpg

Definite signs neither will ever grow up..... works on this end.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been a long winter break , but uncovered Ruby today  , dirty but all Ok ,3/4 hours on trickle charge started first time 

magic !

went and filled the tank didn’t really need it half full , but I had to have an excuse to take her out ?

give her a thorough clean tomorrow, seems like the only cleaning job I enjoy ? 

be looking for good weather days now , great to be back on the road.

cheers

pilgrim

5A7B65D3-EB9D-494C-9FC1-EADCD5013E3C.jpeg

9EACD8B2-6983-4416-8E97-03441AB7AC2A.jpeg

91044288-FA9A-41BD-80CF-ED3740886CF9.jpeg

• Like 12

After a lot of rain the last few days, I finally got to a task that I've wanted to do for a while, that is, get Glenda's Wildcat out to the new place. No pictures of it on the trailer, I was too intent in getting it moved, and on and off of the trailer to get my phone out.

So, first I got to drive the Wildcat around a bit the driveway a bit, then we drove the Reatta to town for some shopping and lunch. At least we didn't buy too much stuff, so it all fit in the trunk!

Then we went back to the city place, drove Glenda's Envision out for dinner. Then I moved the 41 Roadmaster from the shelter to the main garage, but I just had to take it for a short spin!

Lastly, a short hop in the '02 Rendezvous.

So a four Buick day, including the more modern ones, of course.

Note the lack of snow, compared to pictures I posted less than a couple of weeks ago.

Keith

ReattaFeb24.jpg

ReattaGarageF24.jpg

WildcatNewHome.jpg

• Like 7

Looks nice Keith! :)

From the pictures it looks like you might be able to get all your collection together in there?

I like that new garage.  That alone would justify the move in my mind!  ;)

ReattaGarageF24.thumb.jpg.9d033207e41ac9

• Like 1

The Reatta has a pretty big trunk. Because it is low, we tend to think of it as a "small" car. I'd say the trunk is at least as big overall as the 2017 Regal (without measuring nor looking for the specs). 

Ok so I had to look. I found 14.2 cubit feet and 10.5 for Reatta coupe and 10.0 for convertible. From memory it doesn't seem like there's that much difference in usable space. 

I guess I'm used to the larger cars and suv's I usually drive.

Thanks for the thanks, folks. The garage is nicely finished as you can see, and indeed it was a feature that I was looking for. It has a partly finished upstairs, as it has a barn like profile. I'm going to finish the loft section for storage of parts and a workshop. Plus it has natural gas heat in it. This area is traditional tobacco growing, and gas infrastructure was put in many years ago to facilitate the drying of tobacco leaves, because otherwise this is a very rural area, and one wouldn't expect gas infrastructure.

The downside is two fold, at 40 feet long, it will hold 4 cars max, but there is a wide stairway to the upstairs which takes away part of one spot. The other is that I'd really like a lift, and there isn't space. Also, there is only one car door, and I'm having another put in this spring.

The person that built it was a carpenter, and this was his main workshop.

So, later this year I planning build an extension on the back, as there is another 60 feet or so the back boundary of my property. The doors will go in the through the side, so that I don't have to move 3 cars to get one out.

I'll post a couple more pictures as its hard to describe. Otherwise I'm running the risk of being accused of sidetracking the thread!

When I get into the construction, I'll start a thread in the correct place.

Keith

• Like 2

If the dealer (Orlando Classic Cars) hadn't told me that my '35 Buick Series 41 had been sold to somebody in Spain, I'd swear that was it in the pictures above.  I still love that little car, but it was time to move on.

I had my '41 Series 71 Roadmaster out today, driving all over town.  It was a hot day, but she didn't get over 200.  I'm hoping when I change the thermostat housing to the 1948 style without the termostatic by-pass valve in it, that she'll run cooler, like 180.  I have a new radiator core.  I may check the timing too, just to be sure I'm not a little advanced.  But, she runs so good, I kind of hate to mess with the timing.

• Like 1

It was such a nice day here that its' hard believe that it is still winter! I was doing quite a number of errands, so I used the Reatta all day, and put about 75 miles on it. The AC even came on after it was parked in the sun for a while this aft. At that point my wife was with me and I wanted to put the top down, but she thought it was still too cold, which it was, really, but it does have a good heater.

Also, a couple of shots showing the garage, and the area behind it. It is 24 feet wide, 40 feet long. As you can see, there is a large space above the parking area, which is 18-20 feet wide in side. The two tall trees are at the property line. So there is space for more garage! According to the area planner she says that I can get the permit to build as well. Hope she's right, or at least still there when I come in with the plans.

Keith

ReattaFrost.jpg

Reattaoutside1.jpg

GarageBack.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

It was such a nice day here that its' hard believe that it is still winter! I was doing quite a number of errands, so I used the Reatta all day, and put about 75 miles on it. The AC even came on after it was parked in the sun for a while this aft. At that point my wife was with me and I wanted to put the top down, but she thought it was still too cold, which it was, really, but it does have a good heater.

Also, a couple of shots showing the garage, and the area behind it. It is 24 feet wide, 40 feet long. As you can see, there is a large space above the parking area, which is 18-20 feet wide in side. The two tall trees are at the property line. So there is space for more garage! According to the area planner she says that I can get the permit to build as well. Hope she's right, or at least still there when I come in with the plans.

Keith

ReattaFrost.jpg

Reattaoutside1.jpg

GarageBack.jpg

If we're going to start considering 80's and 90's cars as "old," then I'm going to start a post for every day I drive my daily driver to the QT for coffee, to the Sonic for a shake, to the hardware store, the vet's, the grocery store, and every place I drive it every day.  We need a definition of "old."

Yesterday was a beautiful day in North Texas, so we took the Buick shopping to the Texas Pecan Factory.  About 20 miles round trip, and we are scheduled for rain today and Wednesday, so may be a couple of days till we get it out again.

7 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If we're going to start considering 80's and 90's cars as "old," then I'm going to start a post for every day I drive my daily driver to the QT for coffee, to the Sonic for a shake, to the hardware store, the vet's, the grocery store, and every place I drive it every day.  We need a definition of "old."

Technically a car is classed as "Antique" (IMHO an "old" car) at anything 25 years and older.

Therefore, anything 1993 and older currently is an "Antique car". 

Doesn't seem possible to me at first either but...

When I look into the mirror in the morning, every now and then I have to stand back for a moment! :(

Not trying to start something just saying.

• Like 1

Though a 1990 vehicle has most of the niceties of a more up to date car, my car is 28 years old, which in most people's eyes, is old.  The BCA allows cars to enter that are under 15 years old, I believe, and other clubs I belong to accept current model year, minus 20 as eligible.

It's in the eye of the beholder, some think of teens and 20's cars as "old enough" but an fine old gent, a friend who is no longer with us, said about my '56 one day in about 2005, that he just can't see those 50's cars as old enough.

Keith

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dei said:

Technically a car is classed as "Antique" (IMHO an "old" car) at anything 25 years and older.

Therefore, anything 1993 and older currently is an "Antique car". 

Doesn't seem possible to me at first either but...

When I look into the mirror in the morning, every now and then I have to stand back for a moment! :(

Not trying to start something just saying.

Then I guess that I became an antique 46 years ago. ?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

just can't see those 50's cars as old enough.

Keith

Just to exemplify what this says about "in the eye of the beholder",

In 1968 Dad bought a 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman and when he drove it to our local Car Club gathering, the then current President and founder of our local Club (founded in 1954) said to Dad in front of the group (I was witness), "What the "H" did you buy that damned thing for?" 

Shoot, it was a 17 year old car then right? 

That was 50 years ago! 

Like I said, the mirror doesn't lie...:blink:

Now,

Hoping the weekend stretch of good weather will afford me an opportunity to grab the Special and dive around!