JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Actually it was Thursday after a week of cooler than normal things began to warm up and I decided to warm up the Le Sabre. We stopped by the lake near the house for a picture. 

LeSabre 1 18 18.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paul White said:

I've notice there is another Buick event in Oklahoma City the week before the Nationals....wonder if my wife will notice me being away another week???

Paul, OKC is the 2019 National Meet, you would be a tad early for that! LOL!

Ben, though it would be neat to take the '41 to a National, but I'm not so sure about driving it so far. Perhaps another year.

Keith

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

Paul, OKC is the 2019 National Meet, you would be a tad early for that! LOL!

damn!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Ben, though it would be neat to take the '41 to a National, but I'm not so sure about driving it so far. Perhaps another year.

Keith

Chicken!:D.  Just kidding.  But really, just pretend it is just a day drive. Several days in a row.

Only 1500 miles and pretty flat. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had so many drivability problems with it last year, I don't even want to do a day's drive in it till she proves herself again!

• Like 1

Today I was out at the house checking on the progress of the repairs from the flood, and all is going well, so I decided to take the Reatta to town to get lunch, as it has rained been a quite a bit, so all of the road salt has been washed away. It had been a gloomy though dry day, till just after I pulled it out of the garage, then it started raining. Then while lunching, it turned to snow! But then back to rain, fortunately.

Only about 10 miles, but it was nice to drive it again.

Keith

• Like 2

I started the 56 but left it in the garage for the 20 minute run. This has been the saltiest winter in the last 7 years that I can remember! Ugh!

12 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I started the 56 but left it in the garage for the 20 minute run. This has been the saltiest winter in the last 7 years that I can remember! Ugh!

Not to start a side discussion, but you're not doing the car any favors by just starting it. All you're doing is filling it with water, which is a by-product of combustion. Merely sitting in the garage idling, even for 20 minutes, isn't enough to get the oil, transmission fluid, and exhaust system hot enough to vaporize the moisture and every time you start it, you're just adding more. If you can't drive it for 20-30 minutes, it really is better in the long term to just let it sit until you can. I have 85 cars in my care, and that's our policy--if you're not driving it, don't start it unless you absolutely have to. Keep the battery topped up and you'll be ready to go in the spring, I promise!

• Like 6

Don't fill them with water has been my sermon for years. And a year-round policy to strive for is a minimum of 15 miles per week. I have had my cars out on dry winter days a lot of times. I won't drive them in really sloppy stuff, but I am under them enough so a little of that dreaded "salt dust" is not going to stay on the cars long.

The Buicks have been sitting quietly since around the first of December. I did get the Chevy out yesterday and drove it to lunch. I drove the long way around to be sure everything warmed up. In fact it is still out today.

It is pretty much the same as a Roadmaster. I know a lot of old geezers would say "That's not an old car, modern young whipper snapper stuff." but it does have collector car insurance on it and next year it can be on the show field at Hershey. I bet that puckers them up in their chair.

002.thumb.JPG.9c92b48c7f967baafc4fde4ff8985e4d.JPG

I will get in back inside today. Once it warms up in the garage I will walk around spritzing detailer spray on any spots.

Bernie

• Like 1

it will be awhile before I get to drive it, but I did sit in it for a minute and I may or may not have made some vroom vroom noises! ;)

20180113_145006.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hey!  Does it count if I had a dream the other night about driving the Riv along the lake shore ?

47 and looking like rain, but we got over to the next county for lunch on the village square.

016.thumb.JPG.5f8a8ca7dc4cffe7b155fa36a4638408.JPG

017.thumb.JPG.0008fc34a73c730c26382d87456efa2f.JPG

• Like 7

Exercised both Goldie & the GP 20+ miles each yesterday.  It wasn't as warm as today, but roads were clear and dry (albeit whiteish).  I'm trying to remember when I had them out last and all I can figure is sometime early December...?  Whenever it was, it was too long ago!  :unsure:

• Like 2

Fiorello, Our LaGuardia 1937 Model 80C drove across town to get his correct carburetor installed, and for some general maintenance. He always gets attention as he makes his dignified way through traffic.

1937 Buick on 2010 Founders tour 004.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-18 Rear.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Had George out a couple times last couple days.  A blast.  Really need a road trip!5a6d356d5641b_BCANationals2012023.thumb.jpg.95490254d1ee0590b9286c916d3faa66.jpg

Ben

Like the visor and the Mexican Zarape style seatcover

• Like 1

With an all day rain yesterday and sunshine today with temps in the mid 40's fired up the Special and took the long way home while I worked on the Limited.

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.5af38dd9ed10f0623367e8c1d412e2a0.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I had the Reatta out for a short trip, less than 10 miles. So nice here today that I could almost believe that its' Spring!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It was 71 down here today and a friend came over from Austin in my old Riviera. we both have long weekends this weekend.  After we looked at his car for a while and had lunch, we went for a long ride in my Electra.  

At one point on a back country road we stopped to measure the car.  They have these measuring sticks all over the roads around here.

IMG_1359.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 27/01/2018 at 7:54 PM, 60FlatTop said:

47 and looking like rain, but we got over to the next county for lunch on the village square.

016.thumb.JPG.5f8a8ca7dc4cffe7b155fa36a4638408.JPG

017.thumb.JPG.0008fc34a73c730c26382d87456efa2f.JPG

Love the car Bernie , bit spooky photo though, bit like a Hitchcock movie scene , no people! ?

• Like 2

Drove my '41 Buick Roadmaster often this week and last getting it ready for a local tour today, tomorrow and Sunday.  Had a long shakedown drive yesterday.  The new fan belt stretched a little and so that was tightened up for the weekend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

It was 71 down here today and a friend came over from Austin in my old Riviera. we both have long weekends this weekend.  After we looked at his car for a while and had lunch, we went for a long ride in my Electra.  

At one point on a back country road we stopped to measure the car.  They have these measuring sticks all over the roads around here.

IMG_1359.jpg

i don't think i'll ever get tired of looking at 1st gen Electras!

1 hour ago, Stooge said:

i don't think i'll ever get tired of looking at 1st gen Electras!

Love em to .?