JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

How do you like the Envision Keith? I sat in one here at my local dealer. I think it's a good size for us. The Rainier is almost 11 years old and if he gets his way, there will be a fifth driver here next month. 

Still very new, we have just over 2,000 kms on it, but Glenda loves it so far. Fuel economy is decent, and power is good from the 2. L turbo. Lots and lots of do dads, but it does not seem to be too difficult to figure out.

Keith

• Like 1

I took the Special out this weekend due to the good weather, thought I'd work on a few small issues which ended up with me working on it rather than driving it all that much.  

• Like 4

On 10/16/2016 at 10:45 PM, JohnD1956 said:

But there was this one special one:

2016 Mills Mansion0009.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0010.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0012.JPG

2016 Mills Mansion0011.JPG.

A two owner car, 90% original:

2016 Mills Mansion0013.JPG

WOW!!!  This even had power vent windows!

Whoooaaaaa, JD, how'd I miss this. Great photos man, you 'bout to get that camera figured out aren't you!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Whoooaaaaa, JD, how'd I miss this. Great photos man, you 'bout to get that camera figured out aren't you!!!!

Maybe I post too much?  LOL...  and yes, I am on the path to figuring this camera out.  Still losing some pictures, but not as many as before.  I was hoping the "easy" mode would cause it to act like a point and shoot camera, but that's not happening.

• Like 4

The daughter of an old friend goes to a middle school just a few miles from home.  The choir was invited to perform in New York City in March, so they had a car show fundraiser to help cover the cost...

IMG_4395.JPG

• Like 4

Linda and I drove to Columbia, MO yesterday and Gian and a friend drove there from St. Louis.  Gian went home with his friend and I drove home in my latest cruiser / parts chaser.  1994 Roadmaster Estate wagon.  The one with the LT1 engine.  Towing package, and posi. It will definitely push you back in your seat. It's kinda' old, does it count?

Stock photo - not my car but a twin.  Stock factory aluminum wheels but I do have a set of 245/40R20's on Boss 308 rims that are going on it.

Image result for 1994 roadmaster wagon

It's like cruising at 80 mph on your leather living room sofa.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks,  

I talked to a number of other owners before deciding that this could cover all of the bases for which I would want out of a vehicle without spending a fortune on something new.  Plus, there's nothing new in which you can lay a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood flat and keep it out of the weather.

The LT1 is 260 hp, TPI - the Corvette engine but with iron heads.  It will move, haul, and/or tow everything I could possibly think of with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs..  Room for 8 when we take out the boat. And something we can cruise down the highway with along with the grandkids and all the stuff they haul around with them.  Even if I have to put a little money into it, I'm pretty sure that I can always get my investment back; especially considering that I got into it for less than $2K.

My younger stepson and his girlfriend were planning a road trip in their Subaru wagon and thinking about using it as a mobile motel.  That was their plan until I let them take this one around the block.  Now I'm to be on the look out for another one for them.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

It's like cruising at 80 mph on your leather living room sofa.

That's exactly how my wife described the '67 Lincoln Continental I owned 30 years ago.  We drove cross country in it in 1982 and never worried about not finding a hotel!  ^_^

Last weekend we took the two big ones, the '56 Roadmaster and the '69 Electra out to storage. A nice Fall day, and a sad one to be putting them away for another year!

I finally got the new, rebuilt master cylinder installed on the '41 Roadmaster, which is staying in the home garage again this year. So I took it out for a cruise on this great Fall day. Unbelievable weather for Nov 2!

Keith

41BuickatCudia.jpg

41BuickatCudia2.jpg

ElectraatStorage.jpg

TwoBuicks.jpg

• Like 8

It looks like its' me again to post. After a bit more bleeding and some adjustments to the brakes and they are very good again, as I wasn't entirely satisfied with them on my first test drive. After supper Glenda and I took it out for what turned out to be a 20 mile drive. I had been doing some adjustments on the right side vent window, as it had quite a bit of wind noise, so I took it out on the highway for a quick run at 60 MPH and it was very quiet, also I had found a couple of gaps around the firewall, which I plugged, so a bit less engine noise as well.

Once I do, or maybe I should say, if I ever get the 3.4 gears installed, it will make the engine less obtrusive as well.

Extremely pleasant weather again here in Toronto for Nov. I've shoveled snow at this time of year, never mind having a vintage car out for a drive.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend.

Keith

• Like 4

Only put about 10 miles on the 56 today to test the replaced power steering pump.  It was a nice day here too Keith.  Bonus days for us.  Hope to have it back out tomorrow!

• Like 2

Took the Skylark to an event in Egg Harbor Township NJ known as Fleming's Pumpkin Run. Acres and acres of cars (antiques, classics, stock cars, you name it), farm equipment, tractors (as in tractor-trailers) and various other things. Buick was represented by a few examples that included a '64 Skylark convertible, a '64 LeSabre, an early '80s Regal, and a '57 Caballero. There were others here and there but I didn't have time to walk the whole thing, and it was one of those venues in the woods that's not arranged in an easily recognizable pattern where you can easily determine where you've been. The place used to be a junkyard, and several rotting carcasses remain among the trees. It's an annual event that I will most likely return to.

The car gave a flawless performance on the six hour round trip, if you don't count the broken cigarette lighter socket that I will attend to this afternoon.

Jim

Edited by Machine Gun
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

After a few rainy days last week I took my Buicks out for about 20 miles each and stopped by the lake to document the ride.  52 Special and 67 Riviera in the sunshine on a very calm Thursday morning. 

Riviera 11 10 16.jpg

Special 11 10 16.jpg

• Like 3

Although I've been driving the 56 every day this week, it's been short rides.  Today I had the Electra out for Church and usual Sunday AM errands.  Just a few minutes ago I got back from a spirited ride in a 50 Special Sedanette, 3 speed car. An entry level car with not many options.  But wow!  It can really go!  Climbing hills in 3rd gear and picking up speed!  Now, I want one!

• Like 5

Friday afternoon was the end of the "old" Buick driving season as I drove a manual brake Reatta to the country for the winter. We need to completely deal with the brakes in the spring. I still have a few things that need dealing with for winterization. I did manage to put the snow blower on the tractor...that's always a bit of a bear. 

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

Friday afternoon was the end of the "old" Buick driving season as I drove a manual brake Reatta to the country for the winter. We need to completely deal with the brakes in the spring. I still have a few things that need dealing with for winterization. I did manage to put the snow blower on the tractor...that's always a bit of a bear. 

I got the New Holland tractor at the house for snow removal.  Brought it down a couple of weeks ago.    Snow :(

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Well, I had the '41 Roadmaster out the last couple of days for a few miles each day. Yesterday I met one my friends, a real Ford/Mercury guy for lunch, and then took him for a cruise in it. He was quite impressed by its' comfort and power! No surprise for us Buick guys.

Then tonight my wife and I went for an after supper cruise, through the East end of the city and circled back home, gassed it up, but not too full, then put it away in the garage.

The areas North of the city are expecting 5-10  inches of snow during the weekend! Zowie! Glad that Toronto is in what we call the "Banana Belt". Most of the snow goes either North of us, or South through upper New York state.

Anyway, forgive me the weather report! I hope that I will be able to get the car out for some more driving this year, but we will have to wait and see.

Keith

• Like 1

We had snow flurries here yesterday in Detroit area.  Nothing on the ground yet except leaves from the high winds the night before last.

Time to start tearing apart the truck to fix the torque ball / joint. 

Then on to work on the Flint Wagon Works wagon in preparation of the dedication of GM Factory 1 in the spring.

• Like 2

I was able to take out all 3 Buicks out this weekend before the winter weather came in to central PA. I did errands with the 1937 Friday evening. Then on Saturday took the 1925-25 Standard out for a couple of trips around town. While I have been sorting out the "new" Buick, I thought I would put down the top and see if the boot I had made for the 1925 Standard would fit. The boot fits the 1924-45 Master perfectly! I took her for a drive of several miles and she seems to run better each time out. Still have a lot of sorting out to do yet. But, this car wants to roll!

DSCF2456.JPGDSCF5628.JPGDSCF5684.JPG1DSCF5685.JPGDSCF5686.JPG

• Like 8

The last time I posted here, I had parked my car at a farm on the coast. There was this big scare that the winds were going to be as strong as some gust storm in the early 1960s that blew down the original barn, so I went to go get the car. It was only natural that the storm wasn't nearly as big as everyone thought it was going to be so now the car has been sitting out in the rain at home with me. That being said, my grandpa and I went out tonight and the only photo I snapped was at the bank at the end of our ride.

15085484_10155411040305830_6307182126766

I feel more connected to this car than the car I used to call "daily driver." I'm not sure if it's because of all the pain I've endured during its reconstruction or the sentimental value it holds to both myself and my grandfather, but the car has become an experience for me rather than a mode of transportation and I just feel out of place if I'm not driving it. On the plus side, it gets comparable gas mileage around town to my 2002 Jeep Liberty so no harm done I guess.

• Like 10