Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

well, I can finally say I got to drive a Buick... it's been a long time and it's cost me a little bit of money but it's done. I replaced the water pump on the Electra some time ago, but ended up breaking a bolt on reassembly, which required the timing cover to come off. Finally I gave up as I couldn't get the distributor out and had it towed to a retired master mechanic. After 2 days, I got to drive the car home today which felt pretty darn good. Quite a bit of clean up to do, but the next sunset drive will be worth. Now only need to get the wagon sorted before Portland... here's a pic of the car getting loaded on the tow truck.

post-52370-143142597421_thumb.jpg

Guest Buick8Bill

I drove my '36 Model 46 1.7 miles today. Doesn't sound like much but the car is in the process of being restored. I think the generator is cranking out too much voltage and cooking the liquid out of the battery. Look for it at the BCA Nationals in Portland, Oregon July 23-26.

It's Friday AM. It's an informal event where forum members, and anyone else too, can meet in person. It's a great opportunity to put faces with names and form lasting relationships with the folks you talk to here all the time. Each year we also do a flea market swap ( not mandatory) and have a good time with it. See the thread here, especially the link to the report from the 2013 Breakfast. : http://forums.aaca.org/f240/bca-forum-breakfast-will-8-am-367861.html

A bunch of vintage Rivieras made it to Colorado Springs last week. One '63 with 380k on the clock drove 1,500+ miles from Washington to Colorado then was set to return again. We had members from Germany and France in attendance but apparently they did not drive.

Ed

• Like 1

It's Friday AM. It's an informal event where forum members, and anyone else too, can meet in person. It's a great opportunity to put faces with names and form lasting relationships with the folks you talk to here all the time. Each year we also do a flea market swap ( not mandatory) and have a good time with it. See the thread here, especially the link to the report from the 2013 Breakfast. : http://forums.aaca.org/f240/bca-forum-breakfast-will-8-am-367861.html

Hi John;

I will be in town for the Friday breakfast, I will put it on my agenda!

A bunch of vintage Rivieras made it to Colorado Springs last week. One '63 with 380k on the clock drove 1,500+ miles from Washington to Colorado then was set to return again. We had members from Germany and France in attendance but apparently they did not drive.

Ed

PS - Of all the cars that showed, only one car that I know of was trailered in, not driven.

I have driven the Regal GS ( hey it's an old car now, it's a 2013 already) from one side of the driveway to the other, as I rotate the stock for just about everything. The last few years I had a part time driving job and I hardly used my cars. I'm making up lost time this year. The greatest pleasure is just hitting the starter and they are all useable. The biggest problem is sticking to the rotation schedule as the convertible seems to have a slight edge on the predominant nice days.

Took the 39 to the local cruise in on the 4th. Perfect evening. Will also drive it next week end to our area 4th Annual Vintage Car Show which is designed for original or restored to original vehicles 30 years and older. 70 + vehicles showed up last year.

Definitely shows that there are those of us that want them the way they were built.

Hey Lamar, Barbara and I would take Elvis in a New York minute. The trouble is there wouldn't be room enough for both of them in the back seat of the '20 at the same time. Had the '20 out on Saturday and put 10 miles on it. It is running better all the time after some carburetor adjustments. It sure runs better and LOOKS better with the HPOF badge on it.post-56463-143142607714_thumb.jpgTerry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas Doo Dah

post-56463-143142607683_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142607695_thumb.jpg

post-56463-143142607704_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Allcars, your 40 Roadmaster Convertible is a real beauty. I wish my 40 Roadmaster Coupe looked that good!

Woody,

I have a friend who has a Sawz-all - we could take half an hour and have your coupe look like a convertible - it might not be quite as purty as allcars, but, hey.......

that is one good lookin' Buick

Yep. Bucky is running well with the new alternator and gas return line. Went to the informal cars and coffee at the Blackhawk museum. Hardly any Buicks but found an interesting mix. Really loved the Simplex and my gal loved seeing the GTOs like hers.

Woody,

I have a friend who has a Sawz-all - we could take half an hour and have your coupe look like a convertible - it might not be quite as purty as allcars, but, hey.......

that is one good lookin' Buick

LOL

This weekend we drove the 1937 around town and to church just to give her some exercise. I don't believe she has sat for more than 2 weeks not being driven since we put her back on the road in September 2012. We have racked up over 3000 miles since then.

The previous weekend we drove to the AACA museum for the Cadillac La Salle Club meet. Great bunch the CLC group! Did 140 mile round trip.

Larry

Exercised the 1937 Roadmaster just a bit yesterday - not nearly as much as I would have liked, but had to get another car which we had promised to display at the IHOP in Chalmette, Louisiana. Our club showed up around 6:00, had dinner, and enjoyed their special $0.56 Short Stack pancakes in honor of IHOP's 56th year.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Guest 60electra225

Twice this week - I drove my '60 Electra deuce and a quarter to a show last Sunday, then yesterday to collect it from the brake shop.

post-50888-143142609849_thumb.jpg

Some members of our Chapter have been volunteering to help the Local Cadillac Chapter host the Cadillac Grand National Meet in Lake George, NY. It's 95 miles round trip from my place, and I had a chance to drive the GS on Wednesday and the 56 today. It was just like being at the Buick Nationals , and I posted some pictures of the Wednesday cars here: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/2014-cadillac-grand-national-meet-lake-375579.html

Local Auto Zone had a collector car appreciation day and open house, had the '39 there as the only Buick but there was an overflow crowd with about 35 cars.....and one guy with a running Ford 60 V8 on a roll around display. Forgot the camera.

I drove my '48 Super 65 miles in 98-degree heat to the North Texas Chapter's monthly meeting in Garland/Dallas, Texas on Saturday, and 65 miles back home. Ran fine, no vapor lock, but I have installed an electric fuel pump to supplement the mechanical pump.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143142619304_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Worked on the buicks most of the weekend getting them ready for Portland. I was able to get the Electra back to ship shape and cleaned up a little and was rewarded with a short 20 mile cruise to and around Stanley Park in Vancouver for the 9 o'clock gun, a nightly tradition in which a cannon is fired at 9pm... historically to call the fishing boats back I think! Lot's of thumbs up as cruised through the City.post-52370-14314261932_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, checked fluid levels, did some lube, installed new shocks to go with the new tires and then took it for a spin of about 50 miles

post-100613-143142621708_thumb.jpg

After flushing the brake fluid, changing the oil, and topping off the fluids, I took my son and nephew out for ice cream in the '65 Wildcat.

That's what convertibles were intended for, right?

I was so upset with how it looked while I was out that I broke out the Griot's buffer when I got home and cut and polished the paint. Still a 20 footer, but it's a shiny 20 footer!

:)

After the month long clutch replacement adventure, our 1925 standard touring is back on the road! Drove it 6 miles and the clutch works smooth as silk. 70 degrees and watching the sun slowly in the west cruising at 35 mph with the top down... True Buick Bliss!

I started up my Wildcat and backed it out of the garage for it's monthly warm up - I'm in the middle of doing bodywork repairs - does that count?? ;)

Absolutely. It started, moved, and stopped while you were in the drivers seat, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Put about a thousand miles on the Reatta since Thursday to visit Paul Syrdal and take in the Heartland regional. This was my first regional and had a lot of fun. A bit of a drive though....

I came home to a cleaned up Wildcat in the garage so I may need to go somewhere later after I've had something to eat.