JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

56 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just a random though thinking Buick and Cadillac at the same time. Ever compare putting a '41 Buick and a '41 Cadillac into reverse?

Manual or automatic?

After finally getting my 56 Titled and Registered (again) and insuring it, I was finally able to enjoy the highest quality automobile I've ever had the pleasure of operating. It had been some months, I forgot how solid the doors sounded when they came shut on the fresh weatherstripping. Or the very brisk startup with the touch of the gas pedal, or the seamless acceleration from a stop with no hard shifting. Unfortunately I'll be limiting myself to 3000 miles a year. Fortunately with my yearly daily driving, I've never exceeded 2500 miles. Can't wait to be back in the challenge next year.

• Like 5

Glad you have the car back on the road Ben!

There just is something about driving our old Buick's isn't there...

One just has to experience it to understand right?

For me it likely is the flood of memories that come up when I fire mine up and head out, sometimes for no other reason than to go for a ride.

The quality build was brought to may attention once when I had a spare transmission rebuilt by my then mechanic after I had found a complete rebuild kit at a swap meet.

Larry had owned several Javelin's and raced them for awhile and had a three bay service garage but had never rebuilt a dynaflow before.

As the job progressed using my chassis manual we talked about the few needed things he found. Mostly it was a worn out washer/spacer and cleaning out one of the accumulators(?) but his comment was he was amazed at the precision and tolerances he found. Ne never figured them to be so good "back then". That was good to hear.

So Ben, 2020 is around the corner and sooner than we think spring will be in the air (likely your way before mine) so here's to a successful 2020 challenge young man!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

Unfortunately I'll be limiting myself to 3000 miles a year.

??why??

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

??why??

Because I used the DD word. And the accident, even though it was an act of God. 

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

I know it's not actually driving, but given that there's a snowstorm getting ready to happen outside, that's OK. Our master detailer, Michael Johnson, is hard at work bringing the old lacquer on that '41 Super back to life. It was chalky and dull, but after two passes he's already starting to see a decent shine. You can see in these photos that the passenger's side of the hood is considerably brighter and "clearer" than the rest of the car. He has his own system and it'll probably take him 3-4 days to get it where he wants it, but I think it'll turn out great. Just wish I could drive it some more before he makes it too pretty to use (our lights make it look more green than it is).

Paint3.thumb.jpg.a7e69069b3a270cc892bd7b422f72325.jpg  Paint2.thumb.jpg.b69fba0ea58e3444b9ffd8acb45faef0.jpg  Paint1.thumb.jpg.c5f29b5a44e55f3b01e890ddd17efe02.jpg

Oh, and I found this in the photo studio this afternoon. I think I need to take this for a spin, too...

79R.thumb.jpg.56006d5c7629211f3c1ddd34f773ee95.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This one?

001.thumb.JPG.4ab6e891f346daa3c28eb1431da620a9.JPG  049.thumb.JPG.4220e6c3bc875e4db70f05c3d275b276.JPG  079.thumb.JPG.d9d692204604ee5cf576406d0dcecd78.JPG

That is a sweet looking car!  

Love those '53's Matt. That Roadmaster woodie is certainly stunning in that dark blue, I've never seen one in that colour before.

I'd like to ask if its' for sale, but its' sure to be out of my price range!!!

Keith

What a beauty..... stunning!!! Thanks for sharing.

I might be able to afford the milk crate in the trunk area.

Yup, fun times Ed on 401 further west around Chatham too... construction has had it from three lanes to two for what seems like a year already!

Stay safe out there in that beauty!