JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Took the fraternal twins out yesterday for their first rides of the year. The first nice day since the Fall.

IMG_0280.jpg

• Like 10

Drove a whole 5 miles to a local car show today at the Scranton School for the Blind and Deaf.  Was a beautiful day. Quite a

few cars. Only 3 Buicks.  Mine was awarded a Top 20 pick certificate and $50.00 which I donated back to the school.

Matt

16A445AC-B901-459C-B49C-270F05230BA2.jpeg

8776E141-E006-4A61-B23E-5E7CD5FD2BBC.jpeg

• Like 6

About 80 miles down to The Lumberyard, in Perry, NY, and back for the Cadillac Club buffet breakfast...... in a Buick.

New York, land of concrete, steel, and glass. That's what I heard. I can share the view, but I couldn't capture the deep breaths of dairy air.

IMG_9952.thumb.JPG.c41946a2f7602e569942887c7862ff11.JPG

IMG_9953.thumb.JPG.f318bf3f9f171ec47a0957871987d82f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

888515679_BuicksandBlueBonnets2011123.thumb.jpg.e77fe3ebbad70bb7bc925ebb6137b465.jpg

Looking over George's hood at miles and miles of west texas.  About 50 of them to the next town west, very forgettable  BBQ and back.  Enjoyed George.

Ben

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Drove my 39 Special 80 miles round trip last Saturday to Sauder Village Museum in Archbold,OH for their annual Antique Car Festival. Cars must be 1942 or earlier and stock or restored to stock. NO rods or modifieds. My kind of show!!  80 ish cars displayed throughout the village either under or near many shady trees. No entry fee or trophies. They give you $20 "Sauder Bucks" to spend anywhere in the Village. The show usually is held in mid May. Lovers of prewar cars within a roughly 50 mile radius of Archbold (NW Ohio) should make this a yearly place to be.

Edited by Glassesguy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Looking over George's hood at miles and miles of west texas. 

Gotta wonder if George smiles while you drive a road like that?  I know I would! 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:44 PM, JohnD1956 said:

So I asked if he wanted me to try my GS trunk key, just in case it would work.  He thought it was different as his was the small round head while the '69's was the larger oval style head.  So I inserted the key easily to avoid jamming the cylinder and it went in no problem.  I then twisted my key and the trunk opened.

This happened to me at the first Buick National I went to, near Cleveland in '77, I think. I was talking to a nice gent about my car, then locked the door with the keys in the ignition. I had a spare set, but they were in my hotel room, and I wasn't staying at the host hotel.

Then another fellow walks by, and seeing what was going on, offers to try some keys he had. Turns out he had quite a few, but it only was the second or third one he tried, that opened my door! Wow, I was greatfull, but scary how easy it was.

I am sure that the fellow who came to my rescue was the late Bob James, who often attended BCA events, and was well known by many. Didn't know him at the time, but got to know him later on.

Keith

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

888515679_BuicksandBlueBonnets2011123.thumb.jpg.e77fe3ebbad70bb7bc925ebb6137b465.jpg

Looking over George's hood at miles and miles of west texas.  About 50 of them to the next town west, very forgettable  BBQ and back.  Enjoyed George.

Ben

Hey Ben, I heard on the radio way up here that potentially dangerous heavy weather is headed your way. Just checked the MyRadar Pro app on my iPad, and see it is West and North of you so far. Sure hope the worst of this hits in unpopulated areas there. 

Man ! Sorry to remind you of "very forgettable BBQ". Didn't think the Lone Star State would tolerate that ! Pleased to have enjoyed the Fredericksburg /Luckenbach area several times. From there I ran up to Cooper's in Llano at the recommendation of the pickers I was hanging with. Toted a substantial load of "to go" back to Luckenbach, and doubled-up on the previous friends I had made. Where is the best BBQ in the Wichita Falls area ?      

Back when I could still concentrate well enough to drive fast, I loved the high speed limits and light patrol in West Texas. Many, if not most of us, know the thrill of heeding the call of the open road.  Terrified to drive at night------------------ Yo !!!!!!!!! A phone call came in, and after a call to duty, hours have passed. Therefore I checked the 'Pro again (9:00 PDT), and see that things could be tense 'round your parts now and later. For all I know, you could be without power, hunkered down in the twister cellar. Let us know you are OK when things clear outta there.------------------------ Anyway I was going to comment about the "slaughterhouse" 290 is around and West of Dripping Springs at night with the deer density there. Seriously, I slow down to 25 on the blood red highway there. In and out of Luckenbach at night,10-15 is advised. I am hoping to drive Texas again late Winter, early Spring of 2024. According to predictions, there will be a total solar eclipse happening there early April, and I would like to see it if I am still able. But I don't need to hit another deer. I have only ever hit one, scarcely 15 miles from home on the way back from a trip to California. Oh, bla, bla, bla.    Stay safe Ben,     -   Carl 

• Like 2

Hi all,

Just arrived back from a 6 day combined Buick Club trip to the country music capital of Australia, Tamworth a 450 mile round trip (for me) where we also were a feature display at a local automobile show, please enjoy

Cheers

Paul

DSC06032.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Saturday's run to a town with the almost interesting name of Currabubula 

DSC05987.JPG

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Couldn't help adding some pre-war Holden Buicks...note the double suicide doors and fabric roof of the '36

DSC05999.JPG

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Drove my 1941 Buick Series A Special Coupe 322 miles (518km) to a car event in the country here in South Australia. The car ran like a dream. Nothing like getting out on the open road. Since getting the car on the road, I've covered 2,700 miles (4345km) in 7 months. Many more miles to come!

Cars on Coast Jan 13 2019 (2).jpg

Buick April 13 2019 #2.jpg

Buick Wallaroo May 2019.jpg

Edited by Grant Z (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey Ben, I heard on the radio way up here that potentially dangerous heavy weather is headed your way. Just checked the MyRadar Pro app on my iPad, and see it is West and North of you so far. Sure hope the worst of this hits in unpopulated areas there. 

Man ! Sorry to remind you of "very forgettable BBQ". Didn't think the Lone Star State would tolerate that ! Pleased to have enjoyed the Fredericksburg /Luckenbach area several times. From there I ran up to Cooper's in Llano at the recommendation of the pickers I was hanging with. Toted a substantial load of "to go" back to Luckenbach, and doubled-up on the previous friends I had made. Where is the best BBQ in the Wichita Falls area ?      

Back when I could still concentrate well enough to drive fast, I loved the high speed limits and light patrol in West Texas. Many, if not most of us, know the thrill of heeding the call of the open road.  Terrified to drive at night------------------ Yo !!!!!!!!! A phone call came in, and after a call to duty, hours have passed. Therefore I checked the 'Pro again (9:00 PDT), and see that things could be tense 'round your parts now and later. For all I know, you could be without power, hunkered down in the twister cellar. Let us know you are OK when things clear outta there.------------------------ Anyway I was going to comment about the "slaughterhouse" 290 is around and West of Dripping Springs at night with the deer density there. Seriously, I slow down to 25 on the blood red highway there. In and out of Luckenbach at night,10-15 is advised. I am hoping to drive Texas again late Winter, early Spring of 2024. According to predictions, there will be a total solar eclipse happening there early April, and I would like to see it if I am still able. But I don't need to hit another deer. I have only ever hit one, scarcely 15 miles from home on the way back from a trip to California. Oh, bla, bla, bla.    Stay safe Ben,     -   Carl 

Thanks for asking, Carl!  Storms missed us . Lot of rain.

Ben

• Like 2

Glad you are OK. That system looked (still looks), pretty mean on the screen. I hope it had mercy on people who are getting the worst of it. Must be particularly hard when tornadoes /hurricanes hit at night.   -   Carl 

Thanks to JD, I learned something.  Detroit Electrics were built until 1939 and modern ones are being built under that name, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Electric

I picked up the Skyhawk this morning from the mechanic and went to the office, then home (maybe 6 miles).  The new tires are on it and the speedo is pretty accurate comparing to the Garmin GPS.  The rear end oild and valve cover gaskets were changed and a door lock repaired, so things are looking pretty good for the drive south.  Now, it’s time to get out and enjoy some shakedown miles.

A little less joy with the 1959 as the battery was weak, so it wouldn’t start this morning.  I was so looking forward to driving both cars today with sport coat and dress shirt.  I put the charger on it and should have it to the mechanic for a few odds and ends tomorrow.  I hope I beat the predicted rain as there are weatherstripping issues and I still have bare floor in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

I still have bare floor in it.

I hope you can get something on those floors before driving it to OKC!  Those floors will get hot and you'll be cooked inside if you try to drive there with bare floors. 

10 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

My kind of road!

Ben

Hi Ben, the back road is the only road!!

Well, haven't had time to get the pictures off of my camera, but I have about 700 miles on the new engine in the Electra. It's starting to run much cooler now, since it passed around the 500 mile mark.

We did a vintage car tour on Sat., and that put about 120 miles on it, then another bunch on Sun., as we had to go to my daughter's to do some yard work for them. Then the rest of the family showed up, so we had a weeding party!

Keith

• Like 4

16 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I hope you can get something on those floors before driving it to OKC!  Those floors will get hot and you'll be cooked inside if you try to drive there with bare floors. 

We are driving the Skyhawk down, not the 1959 LeSabre.  I guess I’m typing about too many cars....

I drove the 1959 to the mechanic this morning for some odds and ends.  It’s only money....

That was of course, since its' Canada, not a "Weed" party, but "Weeding" party, like thistles and danelions!

Keith

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Here's a few pictures from the weekend. We visited this gent's place, who is something of a car guy, but also is quite a sculptor, in wood and metal. He had perhaps 25 scattered about his property, and most of them built within the last 2-3 years. I've posted a shot of a mermaid which was in front of his shop, with a few of the cars, with my Electra there as well. A sharp looking 48(?) Pontiac coupe parked a couple of cars behind mine, and a nice Crysler Newport in front. The samll car behind mine is a later model Jag.

Keith

Lineup.jpg

Merm.jpg

Pont.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 7:39 PM, Buicknutty said:

That was of course, since its' Canada, not a "Weed" party, but "Weeding" party, like thistles and danelions!

Keith

Well, since last October, it could be a weed party in Canada....