Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

The third day of the tour we started with breakfast at the New London, Iowa historical Museum.  It was a very nice breakfast that we were treated to.  There were mostly "classic kitchen tables" throughout the museum with table cloths and china for breakfast.  There were only two long tables. The folks were super nice.   It was here that we drove from New London, Iowa to Brighton, Iowa.   This whole experience was a class act.

image000000 - 2021-09-27T195121.015.jpg

image000000 - 2021-09-27T195112.244.jpg

image000003 (20).jpg

Terry Wiegand and my wife Joyce below at breakfast.

image000000 - 2021-09-27T195127.817.jpg

We ended the day with another 100+ miles and over 1,600 miles for the year.

image000000 - 2021-09-27T195002.627.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

So we had a great weekend, and drove the '41 over 300 miles all together. The Reatta nearly as much mileage, but since there were three of us we used the '41 for the tour on Sat. The cool thing was the '16 was there as well, for the first time to the former home of it's builder, Sam  McLaughlin. The mansion pictured was started in the year me car was built, 1916 too.

My '16, the '41 and the Reatta where in attendance, with my wife driving the Reatta.

The '41 is pictured in front of the Canadian Automotive Museum which has a great collection of Canadian cars, and cars with Canadian history. It was also a McLaughlin dealership in the early days.

This is a shot I've wanted to do a few times, only there are parking restrictions, so you can't do it most weekdays, and when I've been there on weekends with the car there has been cars parked in front.

Unfortunately I lost a hubcap somewhere on the road, which is too bad. Also pictured is a shot of the '41 behind the mansion with the greenhouses and upper stories visible. I'll post a few more when I get them off of my camera.

A great weekend all together.

Keith

Buick41Greenhouse.jpg

Buick16Wide.jpg

Buick16CloseDoor.jpg

Buick41CAM.jpg

• Like 12

Our '25 coupe has been neglected the last couple of years. I start it and run it up to temperature but it hasn't turned a wheel until today. Nice to see it out in the sunshine and stretching its' "legs".

1925 Buick coupe 2021-09-29.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this link will work for all of you but I drove my son, Cody, and some friends to the Homecoming dance in the '41 Limited this evening (one of the other parents posted this to Facebook so I don't know how accessible it will be):

https://www.facebook.com/sdarpel/videos/195233012692698

vmacocsoak_2438390238287-1-output95image1633222776424.jpg.5d17ac7dd3bfc2b6e85db15910097bf1.jpg

My son, Cody, is on the right.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice day for a ride. It seemed like a lot of others had the same idea. Saw a Ford model A, 55 Cadillac and several 60’s cars. I took out number 2 son, Teddy, for a ride over the Scituate Reservoir Dam. We lost number 1 son, Bubba, to nasal cancer yesterday. I need a drive to take my mind off of it. He was a wonderful dog. He will be missed. I hope Teddy will as good a passenger as Bubba was. We will be off to Hershey this week to see friends and cars. That should help our spirits. Safe travels to those who are off to Hershey.

North 

EF1C1305-58A2-40DB-9806-59DF8634C312.jpeg

93A4F55A-DD03-48E0-B794-AFDFD3BF00B9.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

We lost number 1 son, Bubba, to nasal cancer yesterday. I need a drive to take my mind off of it. He was a wonderful dog. He will be missed.

Sorry for your loss.  

• Thanks 1

Well we took the '13 Buick out for our annual camping event with our group of families. We had a great time with everyone and the grandsons got to trick or treat on Saturday night in the State Park.  It is an annual event.  We had the '13 out to give rides to our large group that was camping.  It was about 45 family members over about 12 campsites.

As wit any outing, what is driving without some rain.  Ended up driving about 40 miles in the rain from the house to the State Park and back to the house.

We did pass 1,700 miles driven on the '1913 for the year so far. 

image000000 - 2021-10-03T203345.134.jpg

image000000 - 2021-10-03T205111.941.jpg

image000000 - 2021-10-03T205057.487.jpg

image000000 - 2021-10-03T210737.860.jpg

• Like 4

Sunday (10/3/21) I took the '91 Reatta to our last local cruise-in "cars 'n coffee".  This week I will prepare for it's cleanup and storage.

• Like 2

On Saturday I met Ken Creary LHV chapter Director and his wife Lauren at the Hagerty garage parking lot in Bedford Hills NY to do the New York/ CT self driving tour which is part of Hagerty's touring series that can be done in certain parts of the country.

We ended up driving for about 4 hours at a spirited pace. We stopped for lunch in Pawling NY which is the wall to wall tail light pic. I was following Ken driving his beautiful 65 GS in my 91 Reatta this gave both of us the chance to enjoy these two fine but very different Buicks the way they were meant to be driven. I know I had a blast in the Reatta and I don't think the smile could be erased from either of our faces at the end. What more could you ask for a Beautiful day with Great people on Fun roads with Wonderful cars!!!

20211002_103654.jpg

20211002_142416_01.jpg

20211002_124054.jpg

20211002_120052.jpg

3958.jpeg

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Heat turned back on in the cabin

If this car were I woman I'd marry her. Good looks, performs as needed, don't ask for much, a little tickle on the pedal and she gives it up without hesitation

The view on outside rearview mirror is my favorite sweep on the car

oct10a.jpg

oct10b.jpg

oct10c.jpg

• Like 5

Drove the Queen out of the garage after new springs,shocks, and control arm bushings. Found a loose connection at the pitman arm to center link  joint.

20211009_181736.jpg

Will have to decide when to get it aligned. Thinking in the spring. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Buicknutty said:

Looking great John! Yes there is not too much left this year, though it depends on the weather.

As restrictions in Ontario have loosened up here suddenly there is too much to do all at once!

Keith

As you're looking at fall and cold weather, here in North Texas we are just getting started ! Another 92 degree weekend had me just running errands around town in the 49 before lunch.  The Franklin chews up and spits out 100 degree days so she will be out in the afternoon in between painting the house trim. Next weekend we are promised mid 70's !

• Like 1

These early Fall days have the best sunlight for a white car. Mine has been taking up garage space while fussing with a rear muffler hanger I put new rubber in. This morning the third installation worked. (The level of perfection one is able to achieve is directly proportional to the number of times they are willing to do it over).

Off to our usual Sunday lunch spot.

IMG_1151.JPG.d7819c396ec1ad8f0413f1be368c6414.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG.c4e929fbeb7780cb06074e3f84ff6127.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 8

24 PU Canoe.jpg

A good friend, Fred "Red" Smith was a clock maker and gunsmith who owned a '64 Riviera that was nearly a twin to mine. He told me a story that goes well with this picture.

Many years ago, when Model A's were just used cars, he had a 1928 or '29 as his everyday car. The radiator went bad and the only one he could find at the junkyard was a newer '30 or '31 which was 2" or so higher than the early one. He installed it and the hood at least covered the engine although it had a steep incline from the cowl to the cap.

Sometime after the fix he had to repair the framework of an old garage. He drove the Model A to the lumber yard and bought a few 20' 2x4's. They loaded them onto the roof and tied each end to the car's bumpers.

He was driving home when a cop pulled him over. The cop just motioned for him to stay in the car and started inspecting the car underneath. After a thorough inspection the cop told him "You're OK. Go ahead". Fred asked what was wrong. "Well, the angle of the hood and those 2x4's tied at the ends made it look like your car broke in half and you had made a splint to hold it together. Move along. Nothing to see here,"

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Went with #2 son, Teddy to visit my father and to do a little gardening at his grave. It was a rather long ride because of a Scarecrow Festival in Chepachet which backed up traffic causing us to make a rather large detour. Nice and cool day for a ride but the car seemed warm. Need to check the radiator fluid. 

IMG_5473.jpg

Edited by Den41Buick
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well we went on the last tour for the year with the 1913 Buick on Friday with the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Mi.  It was an 80+ mile tour for the day. 

Here we are getting ready to go.  We had the oldest car on the tour.  One of the other persons on the tour could not believe that we would drive a car this old on these tours and in all kinds of weather.  I told him that we do and that is part of the adventure through life.

DSCF3386.JPG

We took our oldest grandson Clay on his first tour.  He is six.  We expect it to be the first of many more to come in the future. We had a great time with him and he really like the day with his grandparents riding in the old car. I can't wait until he can drive on the tours with us. 🙂 Start them young!!

DSCF3387.JPG

Here we are just after lunch.  As has happened on other tours it was dry when we went in for lunch and was raining when we came out. The car below in the lower right corner is Joe & Julie Tonietto's Cadillac.  They were on the tour with us. It was great to have a lot of other people we know on the tour.

image000000 - 2021-10-17T202853.071.jpg

It rained all afternoon from a drizzle to a down pour.  We have gotten to expect rain on almost every tour.  Just part of the driving experience which is kind of replicating the driving "in the day"

image000000 - 2021-10-17T202840.576.jpg

Below are some of the cars at the Gilmore museum.  Our happy grandson getting to see all of the old cars helped to make his day.

image000000 - 2021-10-17T202832.473.jpg

On this tour we went over 1,800 miles driving this car for the year.  Not quite 2021 miles on the mileage challenge, but not bad for a 108 year old car.

DSCF3422.JPG

• Like 10

I took the 1915 truck out for the final drive of the year today.  Here it is getting ready to be positioned in the garage in que for work this winter.  

I am trying to line them up and work through the maintenance and repairs on the various cars & trucks to be ready when spring has sprung.  Our first tour is scheduled for March.  Already planning for next year. 

image000000 - 2021-10-23T183141.359.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I took the 1915 truck out for the final drive of the year today.  Here it is getting ready to be positioned in the garage in que for work this winter.  

I am trying to line them up and work through the maintenance and repairs on the various cars & trucks to be ready when spring has sprung.  Our first tour is scheduled for March.  Already planning for next year. 

image000000 - 2021-10-23T183141.359.jpg

Miss the leaf season now living here in TX. Not the snow for sure but the smells of fall in the Adirondacks with Dad driving the old farm roads looking for bottle dumps. I saw some oaks here getting a tinge of color but not the same feel at 86 degree's!   How rare are the Buick trucks?  I am looking at acquiring something in that age range for advertising my brewery. Model T's and AA's are easy but always go for the different.

We are starting to see the trees in the area change color. Nice cool day for a ride to pick up a pizza for lunch. Teddy and I went for a ride over the reservoir. He is turning out to be a good rider. He just sits in the backseat looking out the window. He got pretty excited when I put the pizza in the car, but he made no attempt to get at it..

IMG_5494.jpg

IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5492 (1).jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Miss the leaf season now living here in TX. Not the snow for sure but the smells of fall in the Adirondacks with Dad driving the old farm roads looking for bottle dumps. I saw some oaks here getting a tinge of color but not the same feel at 86 degree's!   How rare are the Buick trucks?  I am looking at acquiring something in that age range for advertising my brewery. Model T's and AA's are easy but always go for the different.

Buick trucks are fairly rare.  I know of about a 1/2 dozen '15-16 which are 3/4 ton trucks but in the various clubs have counted about a dozen.  1918 Buick trucks I only know of a handful and two of them are in museums in Canada.  You could probably guess there are maybe a dozen also.  1911-1914 I know of another handful and there are probably less than a dozen as I know of only a couple of them.  The Model 2A trucks probably have another dozen around.  I have a "delivery car" body that will fit on my 1908 Model F Buick.  I have the only one of those that I have ever seen or heard of.  I have only seen one picture of sales brochure that shows that body.  1923-24 have a few of those around but I have only seen two of those.

I personally have the 1908 delivery car body that I could put on my Model F chassis(see below picture).

I also own a 1915 3/4 ton truck and a 1918 1/2 ton truck, all Buick's.

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-svdu_cj9NFY%2FVISgZcgY0_I%2FAAAAAAAAa2I%2FPP-SFoN8jl8%2Fs1600%2FIMG_2118.JPG&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

The last truck that went through auction at Hershey a couple of years ago was the Mel Boonstra 1916 truck and it went all in price for the low $30,000's plus the buyers fees.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf18/hershey/lots/r0081-1916-buick-d-4-express-truck/710516

• Like 4

I was going to give our "Beulah" a bit of excersize then put the top up for the year. I did a 20 mile trip around Franklin county as it was a 70 degree day. Then I got a call from Buick Forum friend Apolo from Southern California. He was out and about on a motorcycle checking out Northern PA. fall foliage. Could he come down for a visit? 

DSC00179.JPG.c2bebcf0fa498729a81294787df51aa5.JPG

Here is Apolo with Beulah after another 15 mile Cook's tour around our area. The top still is not up.

We spent 2 days discussing all things Buick. He has a 1924-45 under restoration and just sold a 1929.

He was somewhat dismayed about the accident with the 1937 back on August 1st.

DSC00178.JPG.80473c953b5a0597ea190a87391e077b.JPG

• Like 5

This was more of midweek drives.

On Wednesday I took my 78 Century wagon for its final drive by me, it has become time to do a little herd thinning, and this car always seemed to never improve or have work done on it. So it was time to go, no tears it went to a good home, a local G-body fan and he is going to improve it. I was the second owner and bought it in 96. In the beginning it was our daily driver alot of memories and fun. It will be missed but it was time. Ah well.

So on Thursday I consoled myself by driving my 60 into work for an inspection loving every minute. 

So life is good and less pressure is making it better. I am sure I am singing to the choir here, lol

20211027_160412.jpg

20211028_163452.jpg

20211028_074938.jpg

• Like 5

Last weekend, I drove my 1937 80C about 30 miles to and from my local AACA Chapter show. Today, I drove it about another 60 miles to attend a show about 30 miles away from home. Whenever I see a mother or father holding up a young child to look at the interior of the car, I offer to let them have a seat in the car and get their photo. I figure in about 20 or 30 years, that memory is likely to create another antique car hobbyist. This young girl and her family were very thankful for the opportunity.  

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_0727.JPG

DSC_0708.JPG

• Like 13