Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

8 hours ago, Elpad said:

Took Almendrón for a spin and to a mini car show sponsored by a body shop which happened to be owned by an Argentinian 🇦🇷 fellow who is passionate about cars and meats. He welcomed patrons with a great “Asado” (Argentinian BBQ) thanks DZ Customs! 

365339C8-C0B4-4745-B166-EA91C1A9247D.jpeg

2FAE5BD8-2BEC-4A15-8319-0DF8834FD8D4.jpeg

I love those Santa Maria grills where you can raise and lower the grate. Oops, wrong photo

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)

Finished the driving year here in south central PA. We had Beulah out twice to get a few 50+ degree day-miles before the snow came in. Put over 30 miles on her before the cover went back on.

1124693213_thumbnail_DSCF79371.thumb.jpg.a7a8eb1587d56865223b1f3e915c6ac8.jpgSnowing today and by Wednesday expecting 3"-15" of snow? Last year we were able to drive her to Christmas eve midnight mass. This year we have to make reservations because of restrictions.

• Like 5

NE expecting our first Nor'easter Wednesday evening (12/16/20) thru Thursday mid-day...9" to 12" locally just south of Boston.  Snow thrower ready, Reatta snug in igloo, Eldorado in garage, Caddy ATS always outside but will get a car cover.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I absolutely hate snow!!

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

A few days ago, I was driving my 15 Buick Speedster the 10 blocks from the Storage Barn to my home shop to prepare it for winter storage.  It ran great for 8 blocks when I hit a bump, & it backfired and quit.  It would crank, but would not re-start.  So I called my wife and got her to bring a tow strap & my Yukon to tow it 2 more blocks to my home shop where a couple of neighbors helped me push it into my home shop.  

I found a blown fuse under the dash and thought it had bounced and shorted.  That was an easy fix with a new fuse and some split wire insulation to protect it from happening again.  Nope, it still would crank, but wouldn't start.  So I pulled a plug, grounded the body and had my wife check for spark while I cranked it, and still had no spark.

I pulled the distributor cap to inspect for a grounded wire or burnt points, and found a little ball of solder about the size of a BB stuck under the points post and the distributor body!  It must have been loose inside the distributor until I hit that bump to lodge under the points post.  I pulled it out with tweezers and finally had a good spark again.  I always solder my electrical connections, but learned from this problem to thoroughly check for any solder droppings before buttoning up the job.  I completed an oil change & lube complete by oiling all brake rod clevis joints and gave each grease cup a turn.   I also checked the transmission and rear end lube and adjusted the ring and pinion engagement as it was making more noise than it should.  We will see when it stops raining long enough to drive it back to the barn....

Update:      Drove back to the barn yesterday with no issues.  The rear end sounded better too!

Speedster Breakdown 2.jpg

15 Buick Distributor Internals.JPG

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Beulah is smart.  BTW where did the name Beulah come from?

Lamar:

The Fibber Magee and Molly Radio show. (The Johnsons Wax Program) The domestic help's name was Beulah. The voiced character (by a male actor) had an infectious laugh. Always finding whatever Fibber said to be terribly funny. Ending her laughing fit with ......love that man!  Sort of how I felt Beulah the Buick would laugh at me when ever I would attempt to improve something mechanically or cosmetically the car would fight me. 

• Haha 1

“FIORELLO” took a short drive Sunday, delivering early Christmas gifts, and was planning the 32 mile run to our daughter’s place this coming Friday for the traditional Christmas dinner following a Christmas Eve drive along the levee. Weather here has gone downhill with nighttime temps in the mid-30s, and daytime only in the mid-50s with wind out of the Northwest at 25 mph and gusts to 49 mph. Fiorello said he would be OK with it, but with his only minimal heater, and “she who will be considered” is always cold following her chemotherapy, he will probably get to spend this weekend warm and cozy in his garage. By Monday we’ll be back in the sunny 70s and looking forward to maybe getting FIORELLO out and about - maybe to see the lighting display at New Orleans City Park.

Wishing all better health, and the opportunity to get together and drive our Buicks sometime in the new year.

7BEA37C5-BC68-4129-87B4-B01C146BDD41.jpeg

• Like 6

I had the '41 out for a 10 mile drive tonight, the last dry day for a while. We have had lots of rain recently so the bit of salt used has been washed away. In our little area, they use salt sparingly due to the crops that are grown here. The highways are quite a different story of course.

• Like 7

What a nice afternoon in Portland, Oregon, for a drive in the 1939 Roadmaster.  Tomorrow should also be dry.  (Another drive is in the works!) Marty, it is great to see Fiorello. Someone here recently owned Jimmy Walker's 1929 Packard 640 Phaeton. Nice to see parade cars from back-to-back New York mayors.

IMG_20201226_162804374.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

The grill medallion what is that ?  White stuff looks scarey.  Right now in N- Texas is all about the battle of the dust.

The white stuff is only natural...and at this point a lot less scary than when the 29" of it was dumped last week.  

The medallion is a Buick Club of America porcelain badge from the 80's.   

• Like 1

We're down to an inch or two left over, all is frozen solid again today, but we are supposed to have more snow tomorrow morn before it changes to rain.

I haven't had anything (vintage) out yet, but during a drive yesterday most of the salt that was spread has been washed away.

I'll take the '56 out if the roads stay clean of salt.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I finally got my 1931 Buick Model 67 inspected by the WA State Patrol this morning.  It was recently gifted to me by an old Buick buddy that passed away.  It is a non-runner that was loaded into my trailer via winch.  But today it was unloaded via starter motor in reverse gear.  The driveway into my storage barn is up hill.  A friend and I tried to push it out of the trailer but didn't have the push to get it done.  So, I "drove it" out and into the barn using the starter motor while in reverse.  It worked nice and slow as my friend directed me from the rear. 

Now I can start working on freeing-up the stuck valves to get it running.  I already have a pony tank set up so I can drive it 10 blocks to my home shop where I can install the missing fuel pump and get it ready for touring.

31-67 Front.jpg

31-67 Side.jpg

• Like 10

Sadly no real driving this weekend. My daughter and I winterized the cars for their Winter sleep. Hoping for very early Spring! I am feeling withdrawals already!

IMG_3890.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had cloudy weather with occasional slight rain today but still had a nice time at our unofficial local Cars and Coffee. I drove my 1937 80C, and was joined by a few other local AACA Chapter members, including Larry Howard with his recently purchased 1937 Model 61. Larry restored the car about 20 years ago, sold it about 14 years ago, and recently purchased it from the heir of the guy he sold it to after I spotted it for sale here on the AACA Discussion Forum.  

DSC_0527.JPG

DSC_0528.JPG

DSC_0529.JPG

DSC_0530.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 6