JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

It was kind of a bittersweet day today as I drove the Skyhawk out to the country property to get ready for winter.  To put it in its winter location I also had to drive the Wildcat a bit...it has a leak at the power steering pump, so the exhaust manifold was wet and things got a bit smoky...another thing on the list for next year.  We had previously rearranged the shop a bit, moving two of the pace car replicas to the old shop.  The 1959 should be ready any day, so I needed to make space for it as well.  Here are things parked...I will have to pull batteries next time I’m out there.  I have a bit more driving left in the season as my new Reatta will also need to move out to the country.  

854E4A5A-5807-44C1-94EF-4AB1AB9AAE8D.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thriller said:

It was kind of a bittersweet day today

Same for me Derek.  

I drove the 38 from the barn to the gas station for a fill-up in preparation for a Sunday memorial cruise for loved ones lost in prior years.  I had to jump start it and it was not charging properly as I drove to the gas station.  I barely made it back to the barn on the low charged battery.  So, we drove the GMC Caballero (currently for sale) on the cruise and actually got a nibble to sell it.  

I will try polarizing the generator after recharging the battery to see if it fixes the problem.  

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

• Like 1

Finally stopped raining after a month and we had 2 sunny days. Still not dry enough to do any painting on the 1925. We put on about 80 miles on the 1937 yesterday. Also I installed the re-built radio Dave's 40 Buick did for me. I do not have it hooked up yet as I have to re-cover the antenna lead in wires. Rubber coated with a shielding layer. Most of the rubber coating is gone. Also I have to mold a new lead in grommet as well as one for the power lead.

810942960_DSCF6163(2).thumb.JPG.f4476f4d79873b3dda075d8afaee4ee3.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Same for me Derek.  

I drove the 38 from the barn to the gas station for a fill-up in preparation for a Sunday memorial cruise for loved ones lost in prior years.  I had to jump start it and it was not charging properly as I drove to the gas station.  I barely made it back to the barn on the low charged battery.  So, we drove the GMC Caballero (currently for sale) on the cruise and actually got a nibble to sell it.  

I will try polarizing the generator after recharging the battery to see if it fixes the problem.   

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

10 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Same for me Derek.  

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

Mark,

I have to figure out how to add a quote.  Funny, perhaps the sale of the car was because you had the problem with the  '38.

John

Regrettably, I have only driven my '71 LeSabre 9 miles this year. I took it out once prior to the registration expiring in July to a local cruise in. I didn't bother to register it but I may yet so I can take it out once more before putting it up for the winter. It's perfectly driveable but needs work to make it more enjoyable to drive.  

45 minutes ago, John_Maine said:

It's perfectly driveable but needs work to make it more enjoyable to drive.  

Meaning to be positive here, sounds like a winter project might be good for you and the car?

49 minutes ago, John_Maine said:

Regrettably, I have only driven my '71 LeSabre 9 miles this year.

That's too bad. That generation Buick just begs to be driven.  This summer I racked up 890 delightful miles in the 72 Electra without even trying.  What does your 71 need?

On 10/1/2018 at 8:25 PM, jscheib said:

Mark,

I have to figure out how to add a quote.  Funny, perhaps the sale of the car was because you had the problem with the  '38.

John

John - add a quote? 

just click on the word "quote", and continue to ba informative, funny, pithy, or observatory - but please continue as you have in the past - thanks

• Like 1

I drove my 1937 Century to the local Cars and Coffee this morning. I will be driving it to lunch shortly, and then out to dinner later this evening. It is nice to have some lower humidity levels now here, although it will be even better when the temperatures get a little bit lower in the next month or so. 

DSC_0412.JPG

• Like 1

Great video!

Kudos to your wife on the camera work. Clearly it runs in the family.

Attended a local car show at Middle River MD. Took "Best of Show" trophy.

Red Dawn at Middle River.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Red Dawn said:

Attended a local car show at Middle River MD. Took "Best of Show" trophy.

Red Dawn at Middle River.JPG

Congrats Mark !

Looks like Our lady Queen of Peace Church .

Bill

Bill,

You are right on. It was a great event. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

240 miles on the Electra today, attending the LHV Chapter picnic.  Always a great time. Thanks to Paul , Steve, Roddy,  and the numerous chapter volunteers for a nice time!

Filled up when I got back and recorded 17.1 mpg.  That's running 65 mph with the cruise and w/out the AC, although I did use it a few times to cool the ducts and reduce humidity.

2105442248_DSC00303(1).thumb.JPG.d6f386dee83d2e441d288517e80e8c0d.JPG

• Like 5

No miles travelled this past weekend as we have had consistently rainy evenings / early mornings and flipping between cold and warm the few daylight hours when it stops ...

Every time a hurricane gets going in the Gulf weather is screwy here... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, late this afternoon I was able to get the '41 Roadmaster out for a drive, and to get gas. I had found an Esso station that sells only ethanol free gas, in all grades. It is the only one I've found in my new area. So I also was able to flip the 2,000 mile mark on the odometer, that's about 2,200 miles so far for the year on the car! About 40 miles of nice smooth driving today.

Keith

41Mileage2000.jpg

• Like 5

On Sunday I drove Silver Reatta out to the country for the winter.  I know I didn’t want to put a lot of miles on it, but it was to an extreme of not driving it.  I’m thinking it may not last in my stable too long as I’ve got too many that need exercise.

584AF6BB-AF77-44EF-B623-FC39AF4A6A33.jpeg

08500BBE-49DB-4155-827D-9D6D197D455F.jpeg

344F4C28-DD98-44E4-8E14-D7A67A70B07D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Thriller said:

@Thriller That's too bad Derek.  Cause this one is already done.  I'd be thinking of letting one or two of the non restored/driveable ones back into circulation.  

• Like 1

The primary goal was to get it into the collector market rather than the used car market.  At the time I’d had some back and forth with Marck and I’m comfortable I’m not upside down on this car.  I’d rather play with ones I’m comfortable driving and putting some miles on.  This one has such low mileage that you don’t really want to add to it.  

That’s just my current thoughts...there’s a long winter ahead where things could change.  I paid the last bill for the 1959 today (finally everything is in place) and assuming I can locate some documents I should be able to deal with registration tomorrow and drive it out to the country (he typed with fingers crossed).  I thought I had everything in the file, but apparently I’m missing an envelope...sigh.

• Like 1

The Manitoba inspection was finally completed yesterday, so registered today and taken out to the country place for it’s first drive by me.  There is a lot to do yet including putting the steering wheel on the right direction, carpeting and reassemble interior, attach a few remaining exterior trim pieces, etc.  It was interesting in that something must have happened to the speedometer cable as I had neither speedo nor odometer.  The GPS receiver wasn’t happy with the lighter socket, so I just ran with the speed of traffic.  This is such a neat dash cluster.  

BD6E5830-3912-4AB2-8739-5C5953F5F22C.jpeg

E48B8B24-A65F-46FE-A35B-169B1AECAC67.jpeg

34C89441-8EE9-47F8-967D-8E6A2E69760D.jpeg

• Like 9

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Mudbone said:

We decided to take One Bid to a local car show rain or shine.

We were on our way to the car when they were handing out the trophies to the winners at the show. They announced the Directors Choice award and called my name! It turns out the director was a young lady, and when she handed me the trophy she said she loved 50”s cars and loved the color combination! (I felt kind of guilty because there were a lot of very nice cars there)

20181006_115705.jpg

20181006_154231.jpg

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Mudbone said:

We were on our way to the car when they were handing out the trophies to the winners at the show. They announced the Directors Choice award and called my name! It turns out the director was a young lady, and when she handed me the trophy she said she loved 50”s cars and loved the color combination! (I felt kind of guilty because there were a lot of very nice cars there)

20181006_115705.jpg

20181006_154231.jpg

Congrats! Same thing happened to me once at local church car show. Won the Pastor’s Choice even though there were many nice cars at the venue. No doubt the clergyman had good taste for big Buicks