Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

My son and I went for a cruise in the '41 Roadmaster this afternoon. It was an amazingly clear day, with an intense blue sky, a bit cool, almost like Fall is around the corner! The car ran well, a bit grumpy at first at sitting for a month or so, but settled down and ran lovely. I drove around some of beautiful country roads here, and stopped in at a local brewery and took this picture. Those regulars might remeber a similar setting where I did a shot of the Reatta earlier this year, it is the same place. Of course they were closed, so no beers for us!

A bit less than 20 miles today.

Keith

Buick41Sept_Sml.jpg

• Like 8
21 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I lived in Maryland for 32 years, just south of Baltimore in Anne Arundel County.  I couldn't wait to get out of the place with its high taxes and traffic.  After retiring we moved to Virginia, just south of the Potomac River.  There was no car club there, but everyone on the Northern Neck was friendly and not many into street rods.  I started an AACA Region there and we all had a lot of fun (they still do) with almost no traffic or taxes.  It was 20 miles to a hospital, doctors, or Walmart, but that never bothered us.  Then we made a lifelong mistake and followed my parents who moved to Florida 19 years ago (they moved back to the Northern Neck to be near me before passing).  Here there is low taxes, lots of traffic and absolutely no place worth going to on a back road.  The people are not friendly as old car people, and those who have cars build streetrods.  There is no AACA Region, virtually nobody interested in antique or classic cars, only cruise-ins with streetrods.  I hate it here, but at 82 (wife now 81) I can't figure out how to move all my stuff again.  I can't load the car trailer by myself anymore like I did in Virginia.  I don't have any friends like I did in Virginia (or Maryland for that matter) and I'm stuck here.  One mover told me $23K to move us back with them doing all the work.  Another sent a girl here and she said $14,500.  There are some good car clubs in Florida, Miami and Lake City are two, but both are 150-200 miles away.  But all of the others are on the west or east coasts, 80-100 miles away.  Time is moving on now, and we're running out of it.  We haven't even been able to travel to Virginia this summer due to the virus.  If you want to move to Florida to get away from state income tax due a lot of research and pick a place with an active AACA Region.  We moved to this God-Forsaken town because my restoration man from Maryland lived next door, but now he's gone and other than one daughter we have nobody here.  She works for an assisted care facility, is happy with the job, and I guess we may need her knowleldge nd contacts in the next 10-15  years, but that is truly the only pluss.  The other daughter is in Baltimore.  I sure would like to take my Buicks back to Virginia and  rejoin all my old friends there.

I live in AA County.  There is always plenty to do with car shows and the like.  When I retire I will move elsewhere but local car clubs and or events will not really be a determining factor as to the area we choose.   I enjoy shows certainly.  But I enjoy driving my Buicks more.  My wife and I will find some place in country with open country roads.  Sorry for your situation in FL and little to do with your cars. 

Last getaway for the year. A little peninsula on the Tugaloo River, Lake Hartwell. The Wagon performed fabulously after the QJet rebuild, especially on some of the grades that gave a bit of trouble last year. 

1855C06F-095B-49A0-B434-F340DCAD12BD.jpeg

35F9F92E-45E7-468C-A5E4-705964D38AF6.jpeg

30ED20A6-3063-44BF-B865-BD6877B880B6.jpeg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 16
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Last getaway for the year. A little peninsula on the Tugaloo River, Lake Hartwell. The Wagon performed fabulously after the QJet rebuild, especially on some of the grades that gave a bit of trouble last year. 

30ED20A6-3063-44BF-B865-BD6877B880B6.jpeg

Looks like a beautiful area

• Like 1

Went to the cruise spot Saturday evening and took our 75 Century Pace Car and another Buick owner we know showed up with his 75 Lesabre Indy Festival Pace Car. Great little side show. His car was at Indy, my car was sold out of a Harriman, NY dealer and spent it's life in Harriman until I brought it to Long Island.

IMG_20200919_174427536_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Glad to hear the Buick is pulling the trailer without issue and a good time is being had by all.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I live in AA County.  There is always plenty to do with car shows and the like.  When I retire I will move elsewhere but local car clubs and or events will not really be a determining factor as to the area we choose.   I enjoy shows certainly.  But I enjoy driving my Buicks more.  My wife and I will find some place in country with open country roads.  Sorry for your situation in FL and little to do with your cars. 

If you want the country, near fishing and swimming maybe, choose Westmoreland, Richmond, Northumberland or Lancaster Counties in Virginia just south of the Potomac River Bridge.  Rt. 301 to VA Route 3 and start looking.  Good old car club there too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Was there a specific issue that was found during the Qjet rebuild?  Asking for a friend.... 🙂

😆Not that he mentioned. He also removed as much of the smog hoses and parts also though. He’s an old school race car guy and most if not all he described that he did just went right over my head . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Elvis (and your wife) sure look happy.

He looks like quite the great companion.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

If you want the country, near fishing and swimming maybe, choose Westmoreland, Richmond, Northumberland or Lancaster Counties in Virginia just south of the Potomac River Bridge.  Rt. 301 to VA Route 3 and start looking.  Good old car club there too.

As it would have it, my 54 was purchased from a family living in Winchester VA. 

Have a photo of our Mason-Dixon treasurer's car, a 1965 LeSabre at our club meeting yesterday with my 1937 in the back-round. This has been the first time more than one old Buick was driven to a club meeting in a long time. I usually try to drive mine. 

DSCF8315.thumb.JPG.dd607a074e086339ce350b1995c5688a.JPG

Beautiful 65 degree day in Central PA. No vapor lock for my 37 on the 100 mile round trip. I was able to fill up this time with Non Ethanol! The same trip in July caused vapor lock.

DSCF8245.thumb.JPG.dbc7e364b4c26bcefadaa358299e43a3.JPG 

Giving the engine a breather at the July meeting in front of the C&D Grill and Bar.

DSCF8316.thumb.JPG.ff8669b887989158df46d12529f1d605.JPG

Just a serene drive home to Chambersburg on the old Lincoln Highway.

5 miles west of Gettysburg about to start up the three mile grade to the top of South Mountain. Not a hint of vapor lock.   JOY.....

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

As it would have it, my 54 was purchased from a family living in Winchester VA. 

That's a nice place too, but almost in the mountains.  Attended my first old car event there in 1958 and first car show in 1962.  I just like the Northern Neck best of anyplace in Virginia, east of Fredericksburg, east of Richmond.  Chilly there this morning though (47...burr) 🙂

• Like 1