Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Got the Buick out again for another drive this afternoon.  Seems the linkage is just a little tighter than it was before.  Shifted well. Maybe tomorrow will hit the highway and see what 65mph feels like with the 360 gears. 

Found a place to get a correct gear for transmission so that the speedometer reads correctly.  Will order Monday. $65 plus exchange

Matt

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Got the Buick out again for another drive this afternoon.  Seems the linkage is just a little tighter than it was before.  Shifted well. Maybe tomorrow will hit the highway and see what 65mph feels like with the 360 gears. 

Found a place to get a correct gear for transmission so that the speedometer reads correctly.  Will order Monday. $65 plus exchange

Matt

Matt, did you repair or replace the fork?

Ben

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Matt, did you repair or replace the fork?

Ben

Repaired it. Had a guy at work heat the piece up and tig weld it.  Heated it up pretty good again after it was welded to take some temper out of the welded area.  Ground it back to shape and sanded down the last grind marks and final fitting it around the disc that rides inside of it.  

Just hope this doesn't happen anymore, ever again.  Not fun pulling all of that apart.  Tedious.

Matt 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the Reatta out a couple of times yesterday. I needed to pick up a car of my daughter's which I had taken in for service, and it was such a nice afternoon for a drive in the convert.

Lovely paved, and generally very lightly travelled roads here in Norfolk county, and driving along these country roads where the trees form a canopy above your head is wonderful.

Then had to go into town again later, and this time I took a few pictures. Beautiful light last night, and the temp was perfect to have the top down.

Keith

Reatta1.jpg

Reatta3.jpg

• Like 7

Another  beautiful morning in Rogue Island for a drive. Decided to take a ride through the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts today without stopping due to the Covid-19 restrictions. Drove to Douglas, then on to Whitinsville and Uxbridge. Wow even the back roads were busy for some reason. This is the first day in more than a month that I have seen other antique cars on the road. I know they are out there but it seems very few are driving them. Too bad.  

IMG_2995.jpg

Then came home and went for a swim. Someone else wanted a swim too.....

IMG_3003.jpg

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Got the wagon out for some work this weekend.  Actual work to haul lumber to repair some wood tie retaining walls around the house.   those are 10-foot lengths of rough cut 4x6 stcking out of the back.  The wagon really swallows them up.   I have to go back tonight to pick up some more, but the wagon sure is nice to drive in this hot weather with the AC now working.  Even my wife enjoys the drive!

1981051123_IMG_6026(002).thumb.jpg.80b1f23d4c637dbb573f4fa03f3f56b4.jpg

• Like 9

Staying home between wife’s medical appointments, but working on the garages-

so just made time to move the 1937 80C Roadmaster Phaeton out of her garage, make several hours progress, and put her away for another evening-

Not the most complementary pics, but with temps in the 90s and humidity coming back strong - plus a chance of thunderstorms, I kept the cover for an added level of quick protection-

Heavy thunderstorm just a short distance away, but not a drop here, even after returning "Fiorello" to his garage.

569BE4F8-9D7C-4E0D-A7DF-2F225D3EC2CB.jpeg

155A3597-9100-445B-A642-6B1ABA822606.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I took my newly completed 1915 "Bumble Buick" for a test drive yesterday after fixing the LR wheel mounting.  The keyways in the axle and wheel hub did not match, & needed a step key to eliminate "chucking".  Also, the hub was not fully mounted on the taper of the axle because it needed a thicker washer with a larger I.D. to allow the axle nut to fully seat the hub on the taper.  My good friend Capt. Bob made the step key and I reworked the washer on my lathe.  After fixing these mounting issues, I also found the brake shoe was not aligned with the drum.  So I had to straighten the short brake rod (which made it slightly longer) to pull the brake shoe inward. The car performed well on the test run, and quickly got into third gear and was still gaining speed in the short two blocks in front of my house.  The RR tire chirped on the pavement when I stopped, so I still need to adjust the LR brake. 

Nobody was around to take a photo while I was driving, so here is an older photo of the "Bumble Buick".

1915 Bumble Buick Speedster 1-1-2020.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The Reatta had not been moved since around the first of the year mainly because of the virus lockdown.

My local Corvair club was doing a tech session ....outside with distancing,  so it was a good opportunity to

get the Reatta on the road.

9 22 09 2.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Off to the hardware store before we hit 100+ plus today.  Needed some tubing to rework part of the home brewery. As usual for some odd reason the needle on the Buick compass always points to "beer" regardless where i end up.  Today it was beer and cigars. What is the old saying? "Let the horse have the reins and it will find you water"?   My Buick always seems to find beer.

20200809_104724.jpg

20200809_104807.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, jvelde said:

Introduced the Buick to the garage we are purchasing for it to reside in.  Should get to take possession later this month, we hope - everything is moving slower than planned due to the virus.

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

Nice Car condo...I've thought about getting one. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Another beautiful Sunday for a ride. This time to Northeast Connecticut, with a stop in Pomfret at the Pomfret School,  where I took a picture in front of the school where my nephew graduated this past June.

IMG_3037.jpg

• Like 5

My wife was working yesterday and my daughter wanted to visit her grandparents so it was a great time to take out the Reatta, and even better I let my daughter enjoy the drive and what we enjoy about the hobby. It's also great to be chauffeured around, but I couldn't let her have all the fun. 

IMG_20200809_114918831_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20200809_115102765.jpg

17981.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MRJBUICK said:

My wife was working yesterday and my daughter wanted to visit her grandparents so it was a great time to take out the Reatta, and even better I let my daughter enjoy the drive and what we enjoy about the hobby. It's also great to be chauffeured around, but I couldn't let her have all the fun. 

17981.jpeg

Nice! And Let’s go Mets!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

17981.jpeg

Neat, glad your daughter like the car. My daughter loves driving mine (the Reatta).

Keith

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Neat, glad your daughter like the car. My daughter loves driving mine (the Reatta).

Keith

The Reatta is such a great platform to introduce the next generation to the Hobby.

She loves it and my 75 Pace Car now i have to get her into the 57

Thanks Marty

• Like 3

Not a perfect day in New England, but at least it was cool (74 degrees) for a ride to Thompson, CT. Did not see another antique car on the road. This seems to be more common lately than I would like. I have driven one of my Buicks at least one day each weekend since May. I wish more would do the same..

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

• Like 12