JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Me again! After a bit of tinkering, I took the '41 Roadmaster out for a 25 mile run around the countryside this evening.

Here's a shot of it taken just before I put it away for the night.

Keith

Buick41Night.jpg

• Like 11

We have had very unusual weather lately. We have had rain 16 of the last 16 days. I have not had much opportunity to dirve my 1937 Buick Century recently. We had some nice weather after early morning rains and before afternoon thunderstorms, so I was able to drive to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. 

DSC_0237.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

We have had very unusual weather lately. We have had rain 16 of the last 16 days. I have not had much opportunity to dirve my 1937 Buick Century recently. We had some nice weather after early morning rains and before afternoon thunderstorms, so I was able to drive to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. 

DSC_0237.JPG

Looks good!  Buckle up, I hear August is gonna be soggy here too!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Looks good!  Buckle up, I hear August is gonna be soggy here too!  

Last week we passed our average ANNUAL rainfall total. If we get a Hurricane this year we are going to be in trouble. The ground is saturated.  

• Sad 1

Picked up Almendrón from storage to install a new battery I ordered 6 months ago. Approximately 24 miles round trip. When I stored back it was already nighttime, took some pictures on the building rooftop. When I turned the engine (322) off, I smelled as overheating and soon discovered a coolant leak from what it looks like an overflow hose around the right front fender. I lifted the passenger side carpet to see if it was the heater core leaking inside the car but it was dry. Puzzle since I got a recored radiator, rebuilt water pump and a new heater core. If the engine was overheating the coolant never came out from the radiator overflow hose. Any ideas?

347B4455-D24C-46D2-887B-48DC7E428EBB.jpeg

1F5DEAB5-73E9-4C6A-9892-A10F78BC0141.jpeg

• Like 2

Does that year have a ranco valve? Did you ever retighten all the clamps after its first run with the new fixtures?

Meanwhile, the 56 was out almost every day last week for one thing or another. But I may have a charging issue developing. I noticed a slight discharge on the amp meter while driving tonite. So I stopped and tightened my kill switch at the battery. That seemed to fix the situation while driving to the gas pumps. But after gassing up it did it again, and fixed itself after about 2 miles headed back home. Gonna clean the terminals tomorrow and see if that helps any. 

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Does that year have a ranco valve? Did you ever retighten all the clamps after its first run with the new fixtures?

What is a ranco valve? Location? Will have to check the book. Car has been sitting for a while and has never done that before. Will check next time I bring out since handful with the 50 resto. Will bring some coolant next time just in case.

The Skylark is back on the road with new motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Ran it up to church yesterday, and then around the area for various errands. After about an hour's run in hot August weather I parked it back in the garage. I went back into the garage sometime later to find a dry floor for the first time since forever. What a pleasure it's going to be not having to worry about leaving a mess wherever I go.

• Like 1

Very busy weekend, but coming home from the store, the pedal went to the floor to stop the car...  back in the shop, will go over all lines and cylinders through the week.

20180805_171357.jpg

• Sad 5

Does it count if I was driving a Buick engine home from the rebuilders?

DSCF6974.thumb.JPG.32f51965c649c635cb2796f5d95cf2af.JPG

My 1925-25 191 Cu.in. engine back from Cazanovia, NY.

DSCF6977.thumb.JPG.0bf99357eb2f92d18a76d7fc15aa0a7e.JPGDSCF6978.thumb.JPG.b9f1208f0047305b28972267f8920f01.JPG

The 1925-45 Master "Remley" peeking out of the garage above the engine.

Hopefully I will have my Standard "Beulah" back on the road by September. 

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Very busy weekend, but coming home from the store, the pedal went to the floor to stop the car...  back in the shop, will go over all lines and cylinders through the week.

20180805_171357.jpg

Revolting  development!   May need a shoe adjustment at all four wheels.  No auto adjusting as found in later drum setup.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

The Skylark is back on the road with new motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Ran it up to church yesterday, and then around the area for various errands. After about an hour's run in hot August weather I parked it back in the garage. I went back into the garage sometime later to find a dry floor for the first time since forever. What a pleasure it's going to be not having to worry about leaving a mess wherever I go.

Good to hear.  Did you have a hard time finding new mounts?  

13 hours ago, Elpad said:

Picked up Almendrón from storage to install a new battery I ordered 6 months ago. Approximately 24 miles round trip. When I stored back it was already nighttime, took some pictures on the building rooftop. When I turned the engine (322) off, I smelled as overheating and soon discovered a coolant leak from what it looks like an overflow hose around the right front fender. I lifted the passenger side carpet to see if it was the heater core leaking inside the car but it was dry. Puzzle since I got a recored radiator, rebuilt water pump and a new heater core. If the engine was overheating the coolant never came out from the radiator overflow hose. Any ideas?

Do you mean the drip tube on the fire wall near where the heater hoses and defroster/heater core are located under the dash?   If so, check the heater control valve.  Hose clamps are tight.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elpad said:

What is a ranco valve? Location? Will have to check the book. Car has been sitting for a while and has never done that before. Will check next time I bring out since handful with the 50 resto. Will bring some coolant next time just in case.

The Ranco Valve is something employed on the 56, and I think the 55, but not sure of the 54.  It is a valve that I do not understand but it is in the line of the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall.  It has a tube which goes inside the car and is inserted in the duct work and to the best of my knowledge, it serves to automatically moderate how much hot water is allowed into the heater core.  I would like to hear someone explain how it works but the thing is;  it is located on my fire wall,  just about under the passengers side fresh air duct and to it's left.  In some instances these have been known to develop leaks.

As the other suggestion I made, I have found it always is required to sung up all the heater hose clamps after installation, then the first time the car has been run up to operating temperature, and then allowed to cool.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Do you mean the drip tube on the fire wall near where the heater hoses and defroster/heater core are located under the dash?   If so, check the heater control valve.  Hose clamps are tight.  

Yep in that area. Will have to check next time I pick up the car!

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The Ranco Valve is something employed on the 56, and I think the 55, but not sure of the 54.  It is a valve that I do not understand but it is in the line of the heater hoses going to the heater core on the firewall.  It has a tube which goes inside the car and is inserted in the duct work and to the best of my knowledge, it serves to automatically moderate how much hot water is allowed into the heater core.  I would like to hear someone explain how it works but the thing is;  it is located on my fire wall,  just about under the passengers side fresh air duct and to it's left.  In some instances these have been known to develop leaks.

As the other suggestion I made, I have found it always is required to sung up all the heater hose clamps after installation, then the first time the car has been run up to operating temperature, and then allowed to cool.  

Thanks for the info. I don’t have the car handy but I do have the shop manual. Will check into that

• Like 1

The 1954 does have the Ranco valve. I suspect that is the problem. If I recall correclty, it is used to divert the hot coolant to the underseat heater core or to the defroster core which is located near the right front corner of the dash. I had to replace or rebuild the one on my 1954 Special when I had it. I am just a bit fuzzy on the details now.  

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

The 1954 does have the Ranco valve. I suspect that is the problem. If I recall correclty, it is used to divert the hot coolant to the underseat heater core or to the defroster core which is located near the right front corner of the dash. I had to replace or rebuild the one on my 1954 Special when I had it. I am just a bit fuzzy on the details now.  

I will check the book and the valve once I see the car, thanks for all inputs will report back

18 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Good to hear.  Did you have a hard time finding new mounts?  

I was never able to find '64 mounts, as apparently it was a one year only design that no one reproduces. Steele will rebuild your old mounts, but the turnaround time is measured in weeks and I couldn't have the car tied up like that at my mechanic's place. I forget who, but someone mentioned that mounts from '65 thru '67 would fit, but the frame mounts would have to be changed out as well. Reproduction mounts for the '65 thru '67 model years are readily available from a variety of sources, but the frame mounts not so much because you have to find a set from a parts car. I found a salvage yard with an eBay store that had a pair. Everything bolted up to existing holes. Cost of the complete set of engine and frame mounts was less than the cost of rebuilding the old mounts.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

I was never able to find '64 mounts, as apparently it was a one year only design that no one reproduces. Steele will rebuild your old mounts, but the turnaround time is measured in weeks and I couldn't have the car tied up like that at my mechanic's place. I forget who, but someone mentioned that mounts from '65 thru '67 would fit, but the frame mounts would have to be changed out as well. Reproduction mounts for the '65 thru '67 model years are readily available from a variety of sources, but the frame mounts not so much because you have to find a set from a parts car. I found a salvage yard with an eBay store that had a pair. Everything bolted up to existing holes. Cost of the complete set of engine and frame mounts was less than the cost of rebuilding the old mounts.

That is awesome!  Also good information for others who might run into the same problem.   Enjoy the ride! 

Short driving op tonite,  just 25 miles.  But it's supposed to rain for the next 5 days so off I went.  Had another pretty good sunset.

1435882716_53skylarks0006.thumb.JPG.28577f4b10a6a9b17cab0e323991ffb0.JPG1388441347_53skylarks0011.thumb.JPG.c1ae5498906e769d80d48a2dc91b82fa.JPG393977519_53skylarks0009.thumb.JPG.8fd341116c9f63cf21ae9912a7feec7c.JPG1105613447_53skylarks0008.thumb.JPG.b409b862ec155340a3d6f929ea2cd8ec.JPG

• Like 11

Attended local cruise-in with my '91 Reatta in Halifax, MA Friday, 8/10/18.  A rose among two thorns.

rose among thorns.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1