Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

While the "official" local cars and coffee was cancelled, just as last month, a fairly large contingent showed up anyway. I took my 1938 Century to the unofficial cars and coffee this morning. 

DSC_0185.JPG

• Like 7

We have had the Roadmaster out every day this holiday weekend. Just got back from driving to Providence to drop our daughter off at a friends. Had to stop on the way home for ice cream. Seems like that is the destination when we take a car out. Happy 4th!

IMG_2891.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Buick Regal GS said:

yea just got home with my 90 Regal,,went to Fremont Oh car show didnt stay locals show ,went up to Marbehead Lighthouse on Lake Erie then "Check engine soon" light came on took it easy going home

my 1990 Regal GS still own bought new.jpg

You weren't kidding when you said you took it easy going home....it took you 12 years!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Had a chance to run the '56 for a few hours today. And what a fine few hours it was. It was 90° when starting out.  After a thorough warm up of 20 miles or so on a generally uphill trajectory I drove a fairly steep mountain road for this area. The road rises from 600 ft asl to 1400 asl within a 2.5 mile stretch. While on this section the engine temp climbed to the hot side and promptly cooled off on the downhill side. I did get too much pinging for comfort though. 

Anyway stopped for a few pics of which I like this one...

20200705_150029.jpg

Then cruised home around the lake. Just a nice 80 mile round trip. 

Then after dinner I was able to get the GS out for a 20 mile ride in the area.  

As before, the GS just loves to go!

20200705_202613.jpg

• Like 10

A small “socially distanced” car meet at a friend’s country property last evening. One of the guys brought a really nice original ‘64 Wildcat droptop. About 50 miles round trip in the Roadmaster. 

0ADA5713-8478-4DA3-B52A-C8D6ECBA9780.jpeg

25312BFF-A311-4B2F-A6BB-251DE0957461.jpeg

• Like 2

Drove a couple of them on Thursday. That was the hottest day of the year here, so far, at about 95F. That's on the North side of Lake Erie.

Going back a bit, I had been running Evaporust in the system of the '41, as I felt that there was scale building up again, which I couldn't get out. I went through this during the restoration, and had flushed the system really well, but then I knocked out the rear frost plugs and I couldn't believe the crud still in there. The problem is the length of the engine, and it sits tilted back a few degrees, and the block drain is closer to no. 6 rather than at the very lowest point at no 8.

So on a suggestion Matt Harwood gave me when he was up here last year, I drained, flushed with water, and refilled with that stuff. A bit expensive, but I was able to get it in 4 L (about a gallon) jugs on sale. Then I drained it, extensively flushed with water, then reinstalled the coolant, which was less than a year old. A bit of running around and then checked and topped up cold. Then I wanted a hot day to kind of torture test it.

Back to my Buick adventures!

I decided to take to a gas station about 20 miles away, then back and into town to give it a 50+ mile run. Mostly 50 MPH, and a bit of 60. Well, doesn't the old girl not want to go! I thought it must be a connection or something, then I got my voltmeter, and it read out at just under 6 volts, not too bad, but then with the lights on, it was 3 volts! So the battery charger got put to use again.

Then I decided to take the Electra out, because it hasn't been driven in a few weeks. It started well, and the AC was still working, but it quickly started running hot after only a few miles, so I came home. That has been an issue I've had with it since the rebuild. Last year I had a high density 3 core made for it, and I have a 160 stat too.

With a bit of a boost, the '41 started right up. Here's the good news. It ran at about 180, and that's with a 175 stat in it. Going through town it built a bit of heat, then shed it as soon as I got going again. Then I decided to try the drive through at Tim Horton's and get coffees for us. With the rad fan on it held about 195 or so for the 10 mins I was in line.

So I'm thinking that girl is about as good as she gets. Putting a 160 in it might be a good idea, and will give more latitude fir long climbs or traffic.

Sorry guys! No pictures!

Keith

• Like 3

Today, to celebrate Collector Car Appreciation Day, our local AACA Chapter had an informal meet up at a local ice cream stand at 7pm. Since most of our members have not been at any antique car events since March, it was a lot of fun. We had about a dozen antique cars show up as well as some additional members in modern cars. It was a hot and humid evening. Obviously, whoever chose July 10th for Collector Car Appreciation Day does not live in the South. If a Southerner came up with this idea, it would probably be in September. We had a good time, although most of us ended up skipping the ice cream since the business is only serving via drive through and the line was wrapped around the building for over an hour that we were there. I drove my 1938 Buick Century. 

DSC_0197.JPG

• Like 7

Took the 49 out before it got hot enough to melt the tires down to the all wars veterans memorial today in support of the fine folks still standing guard over it. Dropped off a case of cold water.  Since the cops cracked some skulls 3 weeks ago "those people" are not showing up anymore.

20200712_103706.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Drove the Reatta to a cruise-in at the Shaws grocery store parking lot with fellow Mustang friends on Wednesday (7/8/20), about 30 miles round trip.  Only two Buicks in sight besides mine...a '65 Grand Sport and a '71 Riviera boattail.  All were adhering to social distancing and masks.  Had planned to attend another on Thursday at the old Raynham MA Dog Track parking lot, but the heat index was up in the upper 90's, so I poo pooed that idea.  Still driving around with a half tank left of last fall's gas (with Seafoam) with no problems...the Seafoam is actually helping improve my gas mileage slightly!  All local MA car shows have been canceled to date.  A few are still on the books for August and September but we'll see as these dates approach.  RI and NH have allowed a few to happen, though.

• Like 2

Matt, great riding along with you! So familiar in many respects to my Roadmaster. It sounds great. These are all great cars. I think about the reaction people must had when they were new, or late model used cars when you were used to the older ones, when we are so impressed with them nearly 80 years later.

The one thing you said that said is how I too sometimes try to chase perfection, and I become very unhappy when it isn't. It gets tough just to enjoy the machine as is, and yours sounds like it is at a sweet spot right now.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Went for a 15 mile ride around town. Gotta get a video set up like @Matt Harwood.  But till then took advantage of the late afternoon shade at home.

We use a GoPro Hero 8 Black camera and a simple suction cup mount. The camera is a little pricey at about $300 plus the mount at about $40, but it really does a fantastic job. Incredible stability software, easy to use, decent on-board mic and both shock and water proof (mostly). Once you have one you'll find all kinds of new uses for it. I'm very pleased with it--in fact we bought two more for the driving videos so we can place them all over the car and on a chase car, which makes shooting faster and editing it all together a lot easier.

On the other hand, my cell phone shoots pretty good video, too. A simple mount you can stick in your passenger compartment somewhere does a decent job. The first two driving videos I shot were just with my cell phone. Worked out pretty well and with one take, no editing required. Nothing fancy, but the drive was nice.

• Like 3

Beautiful day in Rogue Island, but felt the need to cruise nearby in Connecticut. Just short of 100 miles on back roads. Nothing like driving in a 41 with the top down on a sunny day! Great to see so many people enjoying their cars too. 

IMG_2892.jpg

• Like 5

We did a Coffee n Cars at The Bend Motorsport Park, a purpose built race track near Tailem Bend, a small town on the River Murray, South Australia. Privately owned track is fairly new and well done. Allowed owners to do several laps of the circuit following a pace car. Given the limited numbers able to attend it was a good introduction to the circuit. And we got our cars captured on camera too!

My 1963 Riviera, David’s 1978 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and Greg’s Australian delivered 1964 Ford Compact Fairlane added some interest to the car park. Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

CCC81479-A460-4031-92F6-5EC7F7719A63.png

• Like 4

On 7/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, RivNut said:

Drove the '17 to Olathe today (It's the old

one)

IMG_20200713_133508770.thumb.jpg.0f0c3f0f694b166efa645a99485cdfec.jpg

and brought home a '20 (the new one)

IMG_20200616_192807699.thumb.jpg.3e89419ef945519fc8d30b530231deff.jpg

Ed,

I think that is the same platform as the UK Vauxhall/Opel Mokka. We have had two of these as hire cars over in the UK, one in December 2016 (a diesel) and 2019 (a petrol). I was impressed as you sit up high and have good vision. Only downside was that it was too big to fit in our suitcase. Nice vehicle, lots of bells and whistles, great for two! Enjoy!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I make sure my old cars get enough exercise on

pleasant country roads to keep them operating well.

I took my 1984 Buick Electra Park Avenue for a drive

and stopped at a nearby park for a few scenic pictures.

These Buick models aren't popular, but they aren't often seen,

and this one was well preserved by loving previous owners:

1984 Buick Electra Park Ave--mine 2020 (6).JPG

1984 Buick Electra Park Ave--mine 2020 (7).JPG

• Like 12

Finally some signs of life beginning to appear in central NY.  Took Goldie to Cars & Coffee yesterday (~40 miles round-trip).  Also, found a guy named Mike admiring Goldie.  We started talking and come to find out he owns a '63 and a '65 Riviera.  Also received email a couple weeks ago from another person who just joined the ROA and saw me in the registry.  He has a blue '64.  I'm thinking we may have to start a local chapter!  ;)

image.thumb.png.65de99eb01786992172952f182c1f8d9.png

• Like 8

Since we have not had a meeting since January, (I had to cancel our March and May Mason-Dixon chapter meetings). I was able to schedule one before our Governor possibly shuts down eating places again. (He did the lock down for bars again on Friday.)

Good time to get the 1937 out for some exercise. The last gasoline was 89 octane non ethanol from late February. No problems so far this spring/summer driving close to 180 miles. Only convenient place to fill up on the way to the meeting was at BJs. 89 ethanol. Even with my "Startron" additive "Lucy" was not happy. 80 mile round trip at over 95 degrees and high humidity.

DSCF8245.thumb.JPG.2db2d018f8e9271f0085fc0038cdda0b.JPG

Open hood to cool things down a bit in front of the C&D Grille and Bar, Cross keys, PA.

Pulling South Mountain on the Lincoln Highway (route 30) to Gettysburg and returning the car was plagued with bouts of vapor-lock. I have experienced some vapor-lock over the years with the car but never this bad.

As far as engine temp the gage hardly ever goes above 180, as it stayed today.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 5

So, I usually have the 47’ out for 2-3 nights a week.  Corvettes go out one night a week respectively.

Was out on 50+ mile run and pulled out from a stop light and 3rd gear is gone again. 
🤬🤬🤬🤬

Got her back up on stands again in the garage tonight.  Will start pulling the rear tomorrow and possibly the tranny. Am thinking that while the rear is out, might as well put the different gear set in to make highway cruising a little easier.

And so it goes. Only have a couple weeks to fix her and get it Back together.  Am

planning a week long vacation in the Buick.  Going to try to hit a lot of state parks with A tent and the family. Everyone is kinda pumped about it and then this happened.

Matt

• Like 2

Matt, sorry to hear of your bad fortune with the '47. Nothing's all that easy to fix when you get into the tranny's and that on these.

I finally did the rear gear swap on my '41 a couple or three years ago now, and couldn't be happier with it. On mine I went from 3.9's to 3.4's, I also got a custom gear set to correct for the speedo error and the it is now quite accurate.

Sounds like a neat trip you've got planned.

Keith

• Like 1