Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I've been driving the Limited to and from work all week. A real pleasure to drive now that I've got all the bugs worked out of the fuel system. Frustrating. Melanie always encourages me to remember how much I love driving the car during those times when I'm cursing it. Taking the long way to work each morning and on the way home is a nice way to relieve some stress. In fact, we've both been driving our favorites this week--here's my view out my office window to our parking lot:

ParkingLot.thumb.jpg.2fbdd7800d2b57284cba93c07968a276.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I went out to the SE Mich Buick Club meeting last night and put on about 30 miles. So far my wife and I have put on about 200 miles on the '13 car this week.  Besides the meeting, we have been out driving with friends.  "Social distancing" at 36 miles/hour +- top down.

IMG_20200618_203528216_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

My Wife and I took the '36 out for a lunch run and whilst doing this she turned over 80K, the Buick, not my wife! We headed south from home hugging the coast ending up at a little village-like place called Avoca Beach. the place was crowded with people with quite a few swimming and surfing in the ocean even though it is winter here.  As social isolation rules are easing here, people are rushing to take the opportunity to escape from Sydney and head 60 miles north to the Central Coast area for beaches and cafes. The Buick did well with all the hill climbs that abound in this area and we did the return trip using inland back roads and arrived home having put a total of 124 miles on the clock. The days of empty roads and leisurely pre-war drives seem to be disappearing....sigh.  Cheers Paul 

20200607_104118.jpg

20200620_133245.jpg

20200620_134941.jpg

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Well it was a nice night.  Took the '13 out to the next town to get an ice cream.  Put on about 45 miles tonight.  This adds up to over 100 miles for the last 3 days.  Also took friends out for a drive.  Most of tonight's drive were on dirt roads with much having a tree canopy.  Nothing like driving on a dirt road for time transport.

The fuzzy spots on the windshield are dead bugs from tonight's drive.

IMG_20200620_191124809.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Been adding mileage on a regular basis to all the cars.  But have not taken many pictures. Got a few tonight

20200623_193407.jpg

The Gazebo park in Charlton.

20200623_193438.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised to see how bright the tail lights are on the factory bulbs. This is just the parking lights. 

Anyway got a shot of one of the creeks in the area

20200623_194007.jpg

And overall I was just ecstatic about how much better the 56 runs!  The hesitation at take off has almost completely disappeared. Its so minute that I have to wonder if it is even worth addressing at this point. Time to move on and address some weather stripping I think.

• Like 7

It being  the Queen's evening for a ride, she went just under 30 miles.  Thought I'd try some different roads thus wound up in the historic district of Ballston Spa, NY. 

Not sure the history for this house but it appears to now be an apartment building.  Ornately painted I thought it was somewhat picturesque.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200001.JPG

Then down the road was the Legion Hall.  Freshly repainted and impeccably manicured it was quite the sight.  I was invited back to have a beverage at the refurbished bar when it is allowed to re-open.  All the work was done by the local members of this Hall while the area was in lockdown.  It was also quite impressive.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200003.JPGElectra cruise 6-24-20200004.JPG

Here's the house across the street from the Legion Hall.  Again painted with standout colors and beautifully done.  This place looked to be a single family home.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200002.JPG

It was quite the sight to see these places and a few more that appear to hark back to a gilded day and age.

Then just cruised some back roads and caught these two photos in a wide open area

Electra cruise 6-24-20200005.JPG

Electra cruise 6-24-20200006.JPG

It was a great evening for a windowless cruise around the area.

And here is the evenings sunset!

Electra cruise 6-24-20200007.JPG

Just a nice quiet ride with a few compliments for the Queen from some appreciative folks!  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

It being  the Queen's evening for a ride, she went just under 30 miles.  Thought I'd try some different roads thus wound up in the historic district of Ballston Spa, NY. 

Not sure the history for this house but it appears to now be an apartment building.  Ornately painted I thought it was somewhat picturesque.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200001.JPG

Then down the road was the Legion Hall.  Freshly repainted and impeccably manicured it was quite the sight.  I was invited back to have a beverage at the refurbished bar when it is allowed to re-open.  All the work was done by the local members of this Hall while the area was in lockdown.  It was also quite impressive.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200003.JPGElectra cruise 6-24-20200004.JPG

Here's the house across the street from the Legion Hall.  Again painted with standout colors and beautifully done.  This place looked to be a single family home.

Electra cruise 6-24-20200002.JPG

It was quite the sight to see these places and a few more that appear to hark back to a gilded day and age.

Then just cruised some back roads and caught these two photos in a wide open area

Electra cruise 6-24-20200005.JPG

Electra cruise 6-24-20200006.JPG

It was a great evening for a windowless cruise around the area.

And here is the evenings sunset!

Electra cruise 6-24-20200007.JPG

Just a nice quiet ride with a few compliments for the Queen from some appreciative folks!  

That third photo from the bottom of the Buick photo looks as though it was lifted straight out of the 1970s!!

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm borrowing this photo from @Paul White of his car at sunset to let anyone know that there will be some great sunrises and sunsets in the Southeast and Midwest this week because of the Sarah Sand that's in the atmosphere. The suspended sand particles will cause the light to be refracted at different angles causing some beautiful lighting. Might be a good time to get out and take some pictures of your favorite subject - you make the choice - the wife or the car. 

1443282031_Electracruise6-24-20200005.thumb.JPG.adfdd2fc1c581e114ca7ad0e4490b428.jpeg.8dcefc2ba66030cb233f8445e6cfd001.jpeg

Here's  a picture of the sunset taken in Texas yesterday.

anne-morley.thumb.jpg.14c07a3e8b0f29722bf6b8d462e82145.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Have put over 1600 miles on ny 47 this year.  Only working half days and no weekends, so have had plenty of time to get out and drive.   Have also put 500 miles on my 77’ vette and have temporarily acquired two other vehicles.  Literally barn finds.  A 84’ vette and a 27 Chevy. Both off the road for 20+ years.  More on those later.

02746061-4FAB-47C8-B64B-8B3AEE584846.jpeg

B75A4026-A8AD-4951-A94E-901239A3235E.jpeg

8BF97DF7-AF5D-4F58-AD16-E805CC442319.jpeg

• Like 5

I've put 100 miles or so on the Reatta, this week, just to keep everything limber, and was running a flushing compound through the cooling system as well.

We have a car club exec meeting on Sunday, and I'm planning to drive the Reatta, and it will be something like 200+ mile round trip. The restrictions have been loosened a bit, so we can meet with up to ten people, so now we can have a face to face meeting for the first time in months.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures to post here!

Keith

• Like 3

Yesterday was a normal beer run and hardware store stop.  We were cloudy but showing no rain so off I go in the freshly washed and waxed 49 Roadmaster. Get to the store and go in and 3 minutes later this couple comes in soaking wet. WTH?  Yep, pop up down burst but of the worst kid. Just enough to drop the Afrikan dust  combined with west Texas red silt onto the car in the way of mud.  But I have to say Turtle wax Ice is some great stuff.  Got up to 55 and the majority of it just blew off !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday, Sunday we drove the Reatta to a Club meeting, social distancing too, and all that. But it was so nice to get out for a real drive! Nearly 250 miles round trip.

Then tonight I took the '41 for a nice cruise, mainly to give it some exercise, as I haven't driven it for a couple of weeks. Not so much mileage, about 25 miles on it.

Keith

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Lovely Wildcat! Hope ours will look as good some day. Is that an original colour combo on it? I have never seen one in those colours before.

Keith

Originally Artic White with Red interior, previous owner repainted it in 2009.  He also had a Bamboo Cream 1970 GS that he bought new, so he painted this a similar color.  Quality repaint, I haven't found any white anywhere. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 11:35 AM, cjp69 said:

Originally Artic White with Red interior, previous owner repainted it in 2009.  He also had a Bamboo Cream 1970 GS that he bought new, so he painted this a similar color.  Quality repaint, I haven't found any white anywhere. 

Interesting, it looks good in the colours it wears now. My wife's was originally a triple white car, but was painted dark blue, then bright red, which is what it is wearing now. Though none of the work done on it was of particularly high quality, seems to be a low end professional job.

It will be blue with a white top and interior when it's done.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We have a cruise-in at our shop every Friday evening and with great weather tonight (a little hot at 90 degrees) my friend Phil Tobin showed up with his 1941 Limited Model 91 6-passenger touring sedan. It was a rare opportunity to get the two of them together so of course I snapped some photos. People at the cruise were quick to spot the differences--mine with a divider window and jump seats, while Phil's is, well, a lot nicer (Doug Seybold restoration). Note that Phil's wheels are kind of odd--red outer rims but black centers. I don't think it's correct, but he insists that's how it was delivered. Well OK. I think it looks odd, and even though I'm a fan of red wheels I think the Limited should have black wheels--red is too flashy.

Neat to see them both together and I was pleased to see how much attention both cars garnered from people who don't see stock pre-war cars all that often. Nice turn-out at the cruise tonight, too; maybe 70 cars or so. Everyone is happy to have someplace to go for a change, I think.

7-3-20-1.thumb.jpg.f506c96568c0b1fe000e106703dcf430.jpg

7-3-20-2.thumb.jpg.e0f822807b9968f9ebbd153287c3822a.jpg

7-3-20-3.thumb.jpg.090e14e10c10029db70ddd9dc7f68dc3.jpg

7-3-20-4.thumb.jpg.4f8be229871f4841bf35b2daab2db292.jpg

7-3-20-5.thumb.jpg.07d15e26683751d0d1f43b541ce3645b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1