Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

With such a pleasant weekend weather wise, I planned a trip to Normanville, about 37km away to check on a work job in progress. We took our 63 Riviera as it had not been anywhere for a month. 

We had made up all the lattice panels at work and supplied all the timber and fasteners and concrete and had them installed by a sub contractor. The owner was so pleased with what they saw unfinished,  that they decided to go ahead with stage two of the project which was a picket fence with gate surrounding the garden and another lattice panel to support a creeper.

It was a great drive and the ‘63 Riviera just does country roads with so little effort, no fuss at all. And always creates a stir as it arrives!

Later in the day we did another short trip with the Riviera to look at a gate that had come adrift due to extremely strong winds. We will fix that one next.

I can see this being used more and more as our company car!

No car pics unfortunately, but ......

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

5C406914-3B96-4F13-8A5D-D4965E1865E8.jpeg

CC071EB4-9D1E-40E7-B4F5-FC4E6DB10FB1.jpeg

31039BA2-D23F-470A-AFB0-64BCC6F2A8F6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

With such a pleasant weekend weather wise, I planned a trip to Normanville, about 37km away to check on a work job in progress. We took our 63 Riviera as it had not been anywhere for a month. 

We had made up all the lattice panels at work and supplied all the timber and fasteners and concrete and had them installed by a sub contractor. The owner was so pleased with what they saw unfinished,  that they decided to go ahead with stage two of the project which was a picket fence with gate surrounding the garden and another lattice panel to support a creeper.

It was a great drive and the ‘63 Riviera just does country roads with so little effort, no fuss at all. And always creates a stir as it arrives!

Later in the day we did another short trip with the Riviera to look at a gate that had come adrift due to extremely strong winds. We will fix that one next.

I can see this being used more and more as our company car!

No car pics unfortunately, but ......

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

5C406914-3B96-4F13-8A5D-D4965E1865E8.jpeg

CC071EB4-9D1E-40E7-B4F5-FC4E6DB10FB1.jpeg

31039BA2-D23F-470A-AFB0-64BCC6F2A8F6.jpeg

Hi Rodney, I have been using the '36 as my work vehicle lately too doing daily runs to the local office to print off my documents I produced working from home, 6 mile there on the main road and 8 mile back on the country road. Must admit I am loving the working from  home - Paul

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paul White said:

Hi Rodney, I have been using the '36 as my work vehicle lately too doing daily runs to the local office to print off my documents I produced working from home, 6 mile there on the main road and 8 mile back on the country road. Must admit I am loving the working from  home - Paul

Yes, you need to have every excuse to take them out, and work is one of them. It makes the whole thing a lot more fun and gives you some idea what it was like using them as everyday vehicles. 
Enjoy 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

On 5/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Yes, you need to have every excuse to take them out, and work is one of them. It makes the whole thing a lot more fun and gives you some idea what it was like using them as everyday vehicles. 
Enjoy 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Driving pre-war Buicks on a daily basis = lots of trips to the service station!!! hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Paul White said:

Driving pre-war Buicks on a daily basis = lots of trips to the service station!!! hahahaha

That might be the case, but look how many smiles and chats you get while filling it up!  😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No pictures, but the '41 Roadmaster needed some exercise, as I have cleaner in the cooling system and it needed some use to circulate it. So, took it into our small town, then another run later on. Nice quite roads, even in town is quite subdued. Not that it is ever really busy here! About 30 miles all told yesterday(Tues).

Keith

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dship said:

Waiting to drive my Reatta to my first haircut in 3 months on Tuesday morning 5/26!!

Lucky you. I went 9 weeks. Connecticut was supposed to open today but moved it back. Shaved it off yesterday 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retirednow said:

Lucky you. I went 9 weeks. Connecticut was supposed to open today but moved it back. Shaved it off yesterday 

The girl that cuts my hair is off sick for a month(??!!), I am beginning to look like Jimi Hendrix on a bad day

• Haha 2

I drove this one about 30 miles this morning, taking it back to its owner after we replaced the water pump, fixed the speedometer gear, installed an original 1937 Buick heater & defroster (It's originally an Arizona car that didn't come with that), and some minor things. This '37 Roadmaster is as quiet at highway speeds as any new car--I was amazed. 83 years old and still cruising at highway speeds!

IMG_8066.JPG

• Like 10

We've had a very cool spring, but there have been

a few warm days that beckon the cars out of the garage.

A few days ago I took my 1973 Riviera out for gas,

and stopped along the way for some pictures in the

late afternoon.  I've always read that car pictures

always look better when the car isn't in direct sun.

Here are two:

DSCF5093.JPG

DSCF5105.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've always read that car pictures

always look better when the car isn't in direct sun.

How could that car fail to look good in the sun? 

traveled about 130 miles today

1641119008_tooneontaforrallywheels0001.thumb.JPG.639310ce2ce4074c1b8176a82853084f.JPG

to retrieve a trunkful of these.

750191501_tooneontaforrallywheels0002.thumb.JPG.779e08f6f9d5ea42bcb8a26d4c895ec6.JPG

Returning the road seemed to be just under the edge of a big storm to the south. 

811128737_tooneontaforrallywheels0003.thumb.JPG.303ff58b1e8762c30541530821b638f6.JPG

Indeed, hit some rain and will have to wash the Queen tomorrow.  But that's usually fun. 

Too bad,  but the chrome finish on the wheels may be too far gone to use on a show car.  But right now I am just looking for two more straight rims.  

• Like 4

As mentioned, I've been driving the '41 Roadmaster a bit of late to circulate the cleaner, and did 25 miles or so the other day.

Lovely day for cruising the lightly travelled roads. The weather being warmer now, like a bit over 70 F, the winter gas we still have in the system was causing some vapour lock problems. Not real bad, but some. Hate what it might be like when it gets hot! Due to the much lower demand of late the more volatile winter mixture will be in the pumps till mid or late June, so I've been told.

Otherwise the car is running very well.

The cleaner is one Matt Harwood recommended to me, Evaporust. A rust remover product, most are likely familiar with it. He told me he has used it full strength in his cars as it cleans the scale inside the block and heads by absorbing the rust into the solution.

I think I will drain it now, then run some water to flush it out well, then put anitfreeze back in.

Keith

Buick41Forest.jpg

• Like 6

Kieth you can run it all summer if you like.  It is still working till it turns as black as coal. I am about to start it in the 39 Chrysler I just picked up for the next 3 months. In September I picked up a 53 Plymouth survivor for 1700 bucks that nobody could get to stop overheating. 51K original miles.  Ran evaporust for 7 weeks and pulled the water distribution tube that was clogged. What came out in flushing was unimaginable. But it was shiny inside. Tube came out like butter.  (Normally a nightmare) Ran a mix of evapo rust and coolant to keep things at 5 degree's and drove all winter like that. Twice a week, 35 miles each way to work and back and it never got warm again till this past week when it hit 97 and I got stuck in traffic. But it didn't overheat.

• Like 2

Got the ‘57 Special with standard manual transmission out today. First order of business was a bath! And then a short drive down by the St. Joseph River that is nearly out of its banks due to all the recent rain!

A1023C45-D66B-453D-BBA9-D1E869A15178.jpeg

ABC65110-4DB3-4AC1-B270-56A76CC35BCB.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Kieth you can run it all summer if you like.  It is still working till it turns as black as coal. I am about to start it in the 39 Chrysler I just picked up for the next 3 months. In September I picked up a 53 Plymouth survivor for 1700 bucks that nobody could get to stop overheating. 51K original miles.  Ran evaporust for 7 weeks and pulled the water distribution tube that was clogged. What came out in flushing was unimaginable. But it was shiny inside. Tube came out like butter.  (Normally a nightmare) Ran a mix of evapo rust and coolant to keep things at 5 degree's and drove all winter like that. Twice a week, 35 miles each way to work and back and it never got warm again till this past week when it hit 97 and I got stuck in traffic. But it didn't overheat.

Thank you for the extra info. It was my wife's birthday this weekend, so I haven't done any car stuff. I'll leave it in for a while yet then.

Keith

• Like 1

It won't hurt staying in as it is not an acid. But it has a freeze point close to water.  The stuff works better when it gets up to temperature.  Won't hurt brass or rubber or copper.  But if you had a leaky freeze plug that rusted shut you'll find it. You will see more scale then you think because once the rust is gone that is holding it to metal it flakes off.  That is why you need to flush everything in every direction possible by removing all the hoses.

• Like 1

Well, we did drive the unrestored 13,xxx mile1937 Roadmaster convertible sedan today, Sunday, May 24th, 2020. The car drove beautifully, although at one point we thought there might be a tire problem - turned out it was just the road, beat up by heavy trucks and causing vibration which disappeared after reaching the next area.

Our local  Lagniappe Chapter of Louisiana Region AACA is based in Houma, about an hour southwest of New Orleans, so we have an almost 60 mile drive just to get to meetings, or today's starting point, an extra 120 miles extra round trip.

The club met at Freddie and Celeste Hebert's auto repair shop, Keep It Rolling Car Care Center and departed at 11:30 sharp, driving through rapidly eroding marshlands being reclaimed by the Gulf of Mexico. We headed toward Cocodrie - as far south as the road leads from Houma to the gulf, and then turned toward Sportsman's Paradise Restaurant, a  long time favorite in Chauvin. There, waiters came to our cars, took our orders, and brought us fresh cooked-to-order Louisiana seafood.

Receiving our food orders, we drove "UP 'DA BAYOU" to the Chauvin Sculpture Garden to sit in the shade, eat our lunches, and to socialize at an appropriate distance with 30 or so club members and guests. This is an exceptional, and very surreal place. Kenny Hill, the artist constructed these dozens of mostly religious concrete representations alongside Bayou Petit Caillou - on land he didn't own and where he didn't have permission to do this work. The area has since been preserved by a local university, as you'll see in the photos and additional links of this EXCEPTIONAL PLACE, My shrimp Po-Boy was excellent while Dale had her dressed Po-Boy with lightly fried fresh caught oysters, in traditional Louisiana manner. Our son Evan and his wife Deb rode with us in the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton while Daughter Charla and her hubby Whitney Richard drove the '88 BMW 528e. 

Buicks were well represented. In addition to our 1937 Roadmaster 80C Phaeton (convertible sedan), club members Ken and Linda Smart drove their beautiful 1964 Buick Wildcat 2-door hardtop, also pictured, below. 

The weather was a perfect mid-80s, sunny, with a modest 13 mph breeze off the Gulf of Mexico to make the day even more pleasant.

Beyond my photos, please explore additional photos of the cars submitted by Whitney Richard:

Fred Duplechin planned and coordinated with Whitney to pull off this event, and has shared pics of the Sculpture Garden:

Car Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hc41i31mhinXRSKXA

Sculpture Gardens pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQzQbpj7huV1CWwx9

I've added a few of my  pics, as well:

Y'all stay safe,

Stay Healthy,

Stay Hydrated,

F106C178-9D0F-4A5A-8E7C-34CCAD7F7E3F.jpeg

3A077B0F-B51F-46DD-B9B7-0AC971FC6E60.jpeg

4E5562F1-7499-4F25-9CCD-16BBA1A5433F.jpeg

1FA2A3D9-E131-4F12-9C75-863535E91983.jpeg

118BEFF4-1437-46FB-ACED-06111EE13C7C.jpeg

4C112410-2B70-4D9E-B246-216BD1E0AB71.jpeg

AD6B8242-1355-4DC7-8610-1BDD6DEA226C.jpeg

850CB70E-1D97-4259-9023-009111FA4A4A.jpeg

0D3FF122-8733-429B-A4D3-6BFF16E92741.jpeg

D9AC675B-EA93-4CEF-AC5C-6F46DA755504.jpeg

D8E26F7D-2823-4DE7-8A24-AEEC3CFF0CC7.jpeg

913C3B85-A209-4643-8036-D4EC4C5E514A.jpeg

D62C4718-55BA-4099-8634-9386DD56F8D7.jpeg

79287ABA-C2FD-4F31-98AE-B0C08E4C77FF.jpeg

8BA14537-195B-4DF4-9452-2229CB2A12C4.jpeg

31FA5E24-F830-40E3-B661-09A24883A27F.jpeg

2C8E2408-5658-47B6-B327-3BDC3266169F.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
Add pics and fix typos (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I took the Skylark out of the garage yesterday for the first time in months. I installed shoulder belts in front, and then took it for a short 22 mile ride up to Warwick, NY and back home via Pine Island. It was a very pleasant ride. Passed by a crowded parking lot near one of the Appalachian trail sections and saw lots of motorcycles, but mine was the only old car in sight.

• Like 3

Followed in @Brian_Heil footsteps. Paid my respects at the Gerald BH Solomon National Cemetery in Saratoga, NY.

20200525_164735.thumb.jpg.e4741e0debe895862dc5d263a31ae8df.jpg

Many thanks to those who gave all!

20200525_164639.thumb.jpg.6840fdbfb3a7b39fb0ed4a72d92a229a.jpg

Note: the pictures are deceptive.  The cemetery was packed with people! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

In our lifetimes we shall meet no greater men then these....

TAPS ACROSS AMERICA - May 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM CST
Marty Roth - (and emotion affected quality of play)
HONORING THOSE FALLEN IN THE DEFENSE OF OUR COUNTRY
ALL GAVE SOME- SOME GAVE ALL
Thankful for my father Albert Roth’s safe return from WWII Pacific Theater while while others were not spared-
Remembering Albert Roth
SeaBees- 6th Special Battalion 1943-1946

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:
TAPS ACROSS AMERICA - May 25, 2020 1 3:00 PM CST
Marty Roth - (and emotion affected quality of play)
HONORING THOSE FALLEN IN THE DEFENSE OF OUR COUNTRY
ALL GAVE SOME- SOME GAVE ALL
Thankful for my father Albert Roth’s safe return from WWII Pacific Theater while while others were not spared-
Remembering Albert Roth
SeaBees- 6th Special Battalion 1943-1946

Thanks Marty!  We had good participation individually from our trumpet section of the local community band.  My interpretation is HERE.

Simple tune that I have never played perfectly...just too much emotion.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Thanks Marty!  We had good participation individually from our trumpet section of the local community band.  My interpretation is HERE.

Simple tune that I have never played perfectly...just too much emotion.

Thank You Old -Tank, and thank you and your trumpet section for your participation.

My grandson also offered his rendition from his home in Natchitoches, Louisiana. Just this month he graduated college, Magna Cum Laude, as a trumpet performance major, and will go on to work toward his Masters in Music at Western Illinois University.

Amazing how such a simple tune, 24 simple notes, evokes such emotion - especially in those of us who choose to offer our rendition, think back to the real meaning behind the memory

By the way, have you ever done the "Echo" TAPS ?

a second horn, off in the distance, with a delayed sound-

Did that for my father's funeral

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With my car still sitting in the garage with her hood up two of my friends came over Sunday for a visit.

I should have spent the time working on the Special but it was good to see them (distantly of course).

485881153_IMG_6976-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.ff98bd600da466d3bc7492bcb211feb4.JPG

• Like 4

Is it the weekend yet on Friday afternoon?  What do I care -- I'm retired -- every day is Saturday now! 😜 Anyhow, went for a spin this afternoon and admired my beautiful city from a hilltop.

Beacon.thumb.jpg.98e2f08af443696393c86c51328a0bfa.jpg

• Like 5