Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

• 3 weeks later...

Took the Skylark out yesterday for a somewhat successful drive. One day back in November I started it up and almost immediately fuel started spewing out the bowl vent. I finally got around to taking the carburetor apart to fix the problem, which I expected to be either an issue with the float needle valve or a float full of gas. I found neither. The float valve and seat were in perfect condition with no signs of damage, dirt, or anything else that might account for what happened. I immersed the float in water and found no issue there either. Float travel is unrestricted and was set correctly. I put it all back together and all's back to normal. I hate mysteries like this one. Things don't fix themselves, so now I'm wondering if and when the problem will recur.

I called yesterday's drive "somewhat" successful because although the fuel thing seems to have gone away I came home to find a leaking radiator. It's leaking from the area of the tank seam just below the inlet hose. Will pick up a replacement sometime before Spring. I have a couple of questions about selecting a new radiator, but I'll post then in the Technical forum where they belong.

54 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

It's leaking from the area of the tank seam just below the inlet hose.

I'd look into repairing yours first.  A seam leak might be a simple repair if the radiator is in otherwise good condition.

• Like 1

Hi all, Sunday was a more mild 73F and overcast day, perfect for a Club run. Today's run was to a small town about 77 miles south west of Sydney established in 1831 some 43 years after the First Fleet fleet comprising of convicts from British ships first arrived in Sydney Cove to establish a penal colony.  We toured an historic house and had a picnic in the beautiful gardens. We also toured the river bank site of a WWI German internment camp. I decided to leave the '36 at home and jumped in as a passenger in our Club Presidents '25 tourer. After a few months of blazing bush (wild) fires across the country, we have recently had flooding rains that have seen the main water catchment that feeds Sydney go from 40% to 80% full in a matter of days. As a result of all this rain the paddock and bush land along the run have gone from drought brown to Irish emerald green almost overnight. We live in a crazy country!! Please enjoy the photos. Cheers Paul 

20200223_085635.jpg

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)

22 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'd look into repairing yours first.  A seam leak might be a simple repair if the radiator is in otherwise good condition.

Good point. I'll check to see if there are any good radiator repair shops left in my neck of the woods. The tank is pretty ratty looking, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not in good physical shape.

On Saturday, I drove my 1937 Century 130 miles round trip on our AACA Chapter's Annual BBQ Tour. We had great BBQ at Sid's BBQ in Beulaville, NC and enjoyed some shopping for baked goods and other sweet items at the Country Barn in Chinquapin, NC before returning to Wilmington. 

DSC_0716.JPG

• Like 5

On Thursday I got my '60 Electra out for the first time since mid-December. We took about a 60 mile ride across the Muckland to Elba.

In 1948, as his "Whistle Stop" Campaign Tour passed through, Harry Truman referred to the onion smell from the local muck fields. He then stated that the town should be renamed "Smelba".

We got the pizza and pop special at the big convenience store in town.

IMG_20191226_130517801.thumb.jpg.ad2d88cfa0b35f1ccb3712bb7440dbbf.jpg

And headed for home. Here is an older picture from the same route. The irrigation ditches were a little higher because of it being spring

012.thumb.JPG.6fe055b4e3d198ee1d1e2431bc002f11.JPG

I have seen them right up tp the deck of the bridge.

Bernie

• Like 5

Had the Skylark out on Saturday and Sunday mostly running errands around town and taking a one hour round trip to my daughter and her husband's place. Weather permitting I plan to take it out every weekend on small shakedown cruises to make sure that she'll be up for the road trip to IN this summer. Sorry, no photos. The Acme parking lot isn't very interesting.

• Haha 1

FINALLY!  The last time I drove my '37 Special was early November of last year. At that time I  a bothersome noise occurred in second. Damn, a transmission problem. A transmission repair would have been a simple repair if I only had the ability that I had sixty years ago when I last repaired one; but today I'm almost 75 and very limited by rheumatoid arthritis, a fused back, and a cancer that has invaded my bones. 

Over the winter I emptied a bottle of SAE 90 into the transmission after I had removed the center front floor and one bolt on the top of the transmission, and let the bottle drain into the bolt hole. That worked fine but then it appeared that the cooling system was leaking; and now I had to charge the battery every time I wanted to start the engine.

Last week I checked the coolant and it had refilled.  I pulled the battery, measured the "cage" and got a perfect fit battery from the local Shell.

Now I could go for a drive. Rain had long washed the salt off of the roads. The engine started immediately, I put it in gear and raced up the street. Then another street and another. I'm finally back to regularly driving my now trusty '37 with it's powerful 100+ hp. Great driving ahead.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

ROA member Bob Reed and I attending BCA Tarheel Buick Club cruise to Fort Bragg, North Carolina 82nd Airborne Division museum today. 

The BCA's Tarheel Buick Club chapter visited the museum and had lunch at an on base golf course. 

20200314_092324.thumb.jpg.f069656fb506a4f7a723eba498e3000a.jpg

20200314_112116.thumb.jpg.976f66245158a8d686319b22e26ccd1f.jpg

• Like 7

The Aqua Zephyr at Hendricks Stadium, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The fruit trees are in bloom!

Luckily, in this picture, you can't see the fine layer of pollen all over the AZ. 😢

20200314_150510.thumb.jpg.36cb1c3c39d5679ddad6dae01b9746a0.jpg🥵🤭

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I am replacing the rear carpet and had the my 1913 Buick model 31 outside, weather was cool, calm and dry, too nice to pass our first drive of 2020.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2916.JPG

• Like 7

Last Saturday, before the world seems to have gone into panic mode, we held our local AACA Chapter's 48th Annual Spring Show. We had 227 cars registered for the show. Four of the 227 vehicles were 1937 Buicks, including my 1937 Century Sedan, a 1937 Special Coupe, a 1937 McLaughin Buick Coupe, and a Custom Bodied 1937 Roadmaster. 

DSC_0737.JPG

DSC_0736.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20200316_164855.thumb.jpg.85a85602164a7679922e2148332fc06c.jpg20200316_165011.thumb.jpg.7191aa3bd0871aac44519e6867c99272.jpg56's dust off 2020

Hope that link works.  Oiled the distributor's oil reservoirs, topped off the power steering fluid and brake fluid, drained and cleaned the oil bath air cleaner, and then had enough spare time to take a 14 mile jaunt today.  It is down a quart of tranny fluid from leaks over the winter.  Gotta pick some up before the next outing. 

Sure felt GREAT driving it again! 

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Hi John, looking good!  Remind me, did you use the standard springs in the rear, or variable rate?

Thanks Doug.  I used regular style heavy duty shocks in the rear.  I am not that enamored with the look of the back end higher than the front.  I probably should have gone for the variable rate style springs to have avoided that. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:09 PM, MCHinson said:

Last Saturday, before the world seems to have gone into panic mode, we held our local AACA Chapter's 48th Annual Spring Show. We had 227 cars registered for the show. Four of the 227 vehicles were 1937 Buicks, including my 1937 Century Sedan, a 1937 Special Coupe, a 1937 McLaughin Buick Coupe, and a Custom Bodied 1937 Roadmaster. 

DSC_0737.JPG

DSC_0736.JPG

Got to love pre-war!!

• Like 1

It is Friday but I had the '60 Electra, the '94 Impala, and my '64 Riviera out this morning and all have fresh New York State inspection stickers.

Here is Joe, the trusted mechanic applying the sticker.

IMG_20200320_113404999_HDR.thumb.jpg.7c7702557634b58b5aa7b69975f6c5cf.jpg

It was a short outing and back home again and placed in the well lighted back corner of the garage for a long list of items including, but not limited to, a total brake job, new tires, new interior, and fresh paint. Notice the left side of the hood. It has already been #400 sanded.

The paint plan, after considering many approaches is to #400 sand the whole car first. Then go back to areas needing more attention. Most likely the panels will be finished one panel section at a time.

The paint on the car now is 8 coats of lacquer applied in 1980. This will be the last paint job I do on it.

Bernie

Oh, this morning the Riviera had 75,730 miles. It was about 55,000 when I bought it in the Spring of 1978.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

HI all, another lovely autumn/ fall day, 79F and fine here in Australia. With all the current corona virus hysteria I decided to take the Buick out for a drive in the country, at the same time complying with "social distancing" obligations! Hope you are all OK out there despite the lack of toilet paper on the shelves!!. 

278.jpg

• Like 3

On a recent business trip I stayed at a motel near the Australian capital of Canberra. As I was leaving early the following morning I noticed one of the ground keepers at the motel getting equipment from a large shed. I happened to glance in the shed and i was glad that I did!!! The shed had about 8-10 mainly 1920s cars including a Chevy an Oakland, Ford and more but up the back was a Holden bodied 1939 Buick

270.jpg

20200318_075907.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1