Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Today was an beautiful day! Low temps and little to no humidity. Took a long ride to on some really nicely paved and shady roads to Woodstock, CT. Saw a 1987 Riv convertible on my travels. I cannot believe more antique cars were not on the road.  If it as nice tomorrow, I will be on tour again. 

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

• Like 6

We took the '69 Electra to a nearby town to visit a large antique store, just over 20 miles round trip, so just a short drive, not like last year when we drove it to Oklahoma City last year for the National!

I got a set of 1969 Ontario license plates to go with the car for only $20, and in near perfect condition. One is allowed to use YOM plates here, but it is rather costly. You have to send them in to a specific address at the Ministry, pay a nearly $300. (one time) fee for them to validate them, then the license fee is the same as for daily drivers at $120. per year, and there are a lot of driving restrictions in place. So I have passed on doing it, I'll just use these when it's on display somewhere.

Keith

• Like 1

Well, Joyce and I took the 1913 Buick out for a drive today and deliver some parts to the Ford Piquette plant, where the Model T was designed and initial production was started.   To start the day we drove to the GM world headquarters, the Renaissance Center and took a picture of our car in front of the GM building.  

image000003 (7).jpg

image000002 (8).jpg

Our next stop was the Ford Piquette St plant in Detroit to drop off some engine jugs for 1904-1907 Ford letter cars. The jugs are sitting on the running board of our car.

We had a great visit with the curator Steve Shotwell and David Flatt.  If you have not been to the plant, you need to make it one of your to do stops when in Detroit.  It is usually open Wed-Sunday.

image000005 (2).jpg

After Piquette, we drove by the Ford Highland Park plant where the bulk of the Model T's were made in the day.

image000001 (8).jpg

Not to have a total nice day, we got caught in the rain on the way home. 

image000000 (25).jpg

But the real frosting on a great day out, we stopped on the way home to have some late lunch and one of the neighbors in the neighborhood saw us out in the car and told us that her daughter who went to school with two of off spring had just gotten married and wanted to know if we would be willing to drive her and her new husband to their house from ours and we said yes.  It was great, because the bride did not know what her mother had set up and was thrilled to drive up to their house where the reception was being held.  When we drove up, both sides of the street was lined with well wishers.  What fun to know that we helped to make a newly wed couples' day special.

image000002 (6).jpg

image000000 (24).jpg

Just another day in the Detroit area.   PS: We put on about 125 miles for the day.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good story Larry.  My first marriage, we rode from the church home in a 1915 Model T that was my Uncles.

Lots of fun and it was better then the 2nd marriage where we went in a Taurus.

But I am still married to the 2nd wife.  25 years this year. 

Car is still in the family, it has been passed down to my brother.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Took Goldie to what appears to be the last local 'car show' for 2020 at https://heritagehillbrewery.com/. (The big AACA show in Wampsville has been canceled this year.)  Still some weekly cruise-ins going on, but we're losing ~3 minutes of daylight every day now, so those will wrap-up soon.

image.thumb.png.0500c64567ed2b25278d6e104d3320ea.png

image.thumb.png.70512073e0a0ab70d78e2fa5cb1c93f6.png

Some nice cars that I hadn't seen before, including this really well-done '54 custom:

image.thumb.png.32555bdfd3a04185c9021c61f207d714.png

Dual-quad nailhead power (401 or 425?).  Looks like '61 Chrysler taillights...

image.thumb.png.faf9335a66247bcc9200e0b527cc7b8b.png

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Happy use of an antique car Larry and Joyce.  I have visited the Piquette factory museum, time has not looked favourably on that part of downtown Detroit.  I have a friend who often declares you are welcomed and can go anywhere in a brass era car, as you have shown.

BTW, here is my photo when our Buick was invited to a wedding.

I know you will have a great time at the Gilmore Pre War show next month, Bev and I will miss it dearly this year because the US/Canada border remains closed except for essential service.

Thanks again, Gary

DSC_0100.JPG

• Like 5

Well, well, well, from the you're never too old to learn file.  I parked our 1915 McLaughlin C25 touring car and we gave it a thorough wash in preparing to give the paint a polishing.  After we finished and the car was drying in the gentle breeze my Mrs said would like to learn how to drive the car.

I gave her a lesson, mostly the backward gear selection, she started the car, set the spark advance until the engine was purring and drove the touring car slowly into the outbuilding garage next door.  Couldn't be more pleased she shares our hobby.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_3894.JPG

DSC_3895.JPG

DSC_3901.JPG

DSC_3910.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

Well, well, well, ... my Mrs said would like to learn how to drive the car.

I gave her a lesson, mostly the backward gear selection, she started the car, set the spark advance until the engine was purring and drove the touring car slowly into the outbuilding garage next door. 

Stay well, Gary

DSC_3894.JPG

DSC_3910.JPG

Now THAT is so Buickful!  And obviously smart!!!  Congrats MRS!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:06 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Good story Larry.  My first marriage, we rode from the church home in a 1915 Model T that was my Uncles.

Lots of fun and it was better then the 2nd marriage where we went in a Taurus.

But I am still married to the 2nd wife.  25 years this year. 

Car is still in the family, it has been passed down to my brother.

When Joyce and I got married 42 years ago, we had a Corvette as our wedding car. 

We still have the car after all of these years. 

• Like 4

Finally got the 62 Electra out for a run last weekend. Hasn't had a decent run for quite some time, now I need to replace the battery.

Also had my eldest daughter take the 85 Park Avenue for her first test drive today. She will be driving this to a country show with us this weekend. Needed a car that will accommodate a child seat for the grand daughter.

Bevs phone Sept 2020 576.jpg

Bevs phone Sept 2020 578.jpg

Teagan drive 1.JPG

Teagan drive 2.JPG

• Like 9

(eye) had the '41 Buick Roadmaster out for a long drive today.  Thought I'd get gas.  Murphy Gas has just installed a pump in this town for 92 octane Ethanol Free gas.  Yes, when I got there, they were pumped out.  Fortunately the big dog still shows a quarter tank.  While I was cruising out the long straight back road here at  70 mph, getting the water temperature up to 3/4 and sure enough she started starving for gas again, so I turned on the electric fuel pump and she straightened right out and stayed that way....water in the gas I guess.  Before we discovered the coil was the culprit when she was hot, the electric pump wouldn't straighten it out and I couldn't hardly get it back home.  The old guy downtown who sold the only ethanol free gas in the county ( 8 miles away ) may have gotten some water buildup because he sells so little gas to the locals.  I hope so.  I've spent a fortune trying to fix this problem, but it was much worse.  My '39 Special will sometimes do the same thing on his gas.  It basically won't run on Ethanol without vapor locking.  It is hot as Hadees here in Sebring, FL and the old Buicks just won't run on Ethanol.  After the little blip, the big dog picked up and ran 60-70 for a lot of miles until I got back around to Murphy's, and of course, their tank was empty.  But Buick guys, I got her out for a long run with noplace to go today for the first time in almost a month.  Don't ever move to this God-Forsaken place, mark my words...."no place to go".  Dynaflash8, BCA #55

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

sure enough she started starving for gas again, so I turned on the electric fuel pump and she straightened right out

Old rubber car become porous with age. On the suction side of the pump the vacuum can pull some air into the line that will mix with the fuel causing starvation. The rubber may not show the leak when sitting or it could evaporate without a trace. To test one can isolate the line end to end and pull a vacuum on it. Or, when experiencing the symptom, just replace the aged rubber. The electric pump may be compensating for air leakage in rather than pressure loss or vaporization.

How old are the rubber sections of fuel line?

I have seen this cause tiny air bubbles in the gas fuel bowl at higher RPM's.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Old rubber car become porous with age. On the suction side of the pump the vacuum can pull some air into the line that will mix with the fuel causing starvation. The rubber may not show the leak when sitting or it could evaporate without a trace. To test one can isolate the line end to end and pull a vacuum on it. Or, when experiencing the symptom, just replace the aged rubber. The electric pump may be compensating for air leakage in rather than pressure loss or vaporization.

How old are the rubber sections of fuel line?

I have seen this cause tiny air bubbles in the gas fuel bowl at higher RPM's.

I have wondered about that line.  When I first got the car in 2017 it was nasty.  I couldn't get the factory one with the metal line attached to it, so the guy used what he said was rubber line for gas and installed it with a radiator clamp. The car goes back to the second mechanic to install a completely new exhaust system soon, and I'll talk to him about that.  He is a much better mechanic than that first of three I have used.  My grandfather told me about some old car he had owned that wouldn't run right and they found a pin-hole in a part of the rubber gas line.  Hey, my Grandfater.....I'm 82 😀 he would be 140 if he were still living.  So that story goes back a long way.

• Like 2

With enough restrictions lifted here in Ontario, there are tours popping up quite quickly. This one was back in our old area, which is 2 hour plus drive from home.

So with a good forecast in the offing, we signed up for it. We met with a whole lot of our old friends, keeping our masks on, and socially distancing as required by the situation.

This was part of the reason I bought the Reatta, as it's quick enough, gets good gas mileage, and my wife likes to drive it too.

So nearly 600 kms from early morn to night, which is about 400 miles. The car ran perfect, and a few other Buicks were on the tour as well. This is a mulit make car club, so anything might show up.

Keith

Tourpic4.jpg

Tourpic2.jpg

• Like 9

John, yes, it sure feels like one here as well! Unless we get what might best be described as a "Native American Summer" in Oct. Sorry, just trying to be politically correct!

Here there are a few tours popping up on very short notice, so hopefully I'll get to drive the Buicks a bit more before it all closes in on us. At least all of them have good heaters, well except for the '16.

Keith

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 6:16 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I have wondered about that line.  When I first got the car in 2017 it was nasty.  I couldn't get the factory one with the metal line attached to it, so the guy used what he said was rubber line for gas and installed it with a radiator clamp. The car goes back to the second mechanic to install a completely new exhaust system soon, and I'll talk to him about that.  He is a much better mechanic than that first of three I have used.  My grandfather told me about some old car he had owned that wouldn't run right and they found a pin-hole in a part of the rubber gas line.  Hey, my Grandfater.....I'm 82 😀 he would be 140 if he were still living.  So that story goes back a long way.

I am working that bug out on 46 Dodge right now. Except I found a pin hole in the metal line and when cutting it out it crumbled. I think ethanol exposes a lot of issues in fuels systems these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

With all due respect to areas under duress, its getting to be like an early Fall here.  The '56 continues to run great and it is quite the smile maker.

20200915_160107.jpg

John,

That is a Bee-Yoo-T-Full car-

Feel free to visit, and to park it here anytime

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had the '41 Roadmaster out in the mid-day heat several days ago.  Ran her hard, seventy some of the time.  Came back up toward home through stop lights and traffic to get some gas and she never missed a beat. Murphy Gas near Walmart is now carrying 92 octane Ethanol-free gas.  That is a delight.  I was paying almost $5 a gallon down in central Sebring and it was the only non-ethanol in the county.  The big black sedan sure get hot inside on a summer day in Florida.  There is absolutely no place to go for nearly 100miles, so here we sit most of the summer....especially this summer.

• Like 3

This has been a good weekend for the Electra, so far, anyway. I had a couple of issues with it that I'd put off, but with a few tours coming up short notice, I thought it would be a good time to get it out, and burn off some of my 6 month old gas and hopefully take it on one or two. So, some test driving yesterday (Fri) 35-40 miles total in two runs, and all was well!

We were planning to go my daughter's place, which is about an hour's drive each way, and mostly highway. So we took it, and it ran lovely, about 125 miles total today. It is so easy to drive, and it just floats along the highway.

The bad part is earlier today restrictions were put in place limiting gatherings to 25 people outside, max, and 10 inside, which might put mean the cancellation of the tours. Which would be really sad.

However, it was nice to have the big girl out and running well.

These pictures were taken at my daughter's place. The mileage shot was taken there, only a few hundred miles this year, last year it was several thousand!

Keith

Electra1.jpg

Electra3.jpg

Electra2Mile.jpg

• Like 9

HI all,

The New South Wales Buick Club had its second official run since February. The day started off rather cold with pretty heavy rain. When we arrived at a Member's property for lunch, the clouds parted and we ended up with hot and sunny lunch on the lawn. Cov19 restrictions limited attendance to 20 people but fun was had by all. All up I had a 160 mile round trip and the '36 purred along without a hitch.  Hope you are all well out there, Cheers, Paul 

20200920_134139.jpg

20200920_120926.jpg

GLW_2113_r.jpg

• Like 9

I lived in Maryland for 32 years, just south of Baltimore in Anne Arundel County.  I couldn't wait to get out of the place with its high taxes and traffic.  After retiring we moved to Virginia, just south of the Potomac River.  There was no car club there, but everyone on the Northern Neck was friendly and not many into street rods.  I started an AACA Region there and we all had a lot of fun (they still do) with almost no traffic or taxes.  It was 20 miles to a hospital, doctors, or Walmart, but that never bothered us.  Then we made a lifelong mistake and followed my parents who moved to Florida 19 years ago (they moved back to the Northern Neck to be near me before passing).  Here there is low taxes, lots of traffic and absolutely no place worth going to on a back road.  The people are not friendly as old car people, and those who have cars build streetrods.  There is no AACA Region, virtually nobody interested in antique or classic cars, only cruise-ins with streetrods.  I hate it here, but at 82 (wife now 81) I can't figure out how to move all my stuff again.  I can't load the car trailer by myself anymore like I did in Virginia.  I don't have any friends like I did in Virginia (or Maryland for that matter) and I'm stuck here.  One mover told me $23K to move us back with them doing all the work.  Another sent a girl here and she said $14,500.  There are some good car clubs in Florida, Miami and Lake City are two, but both are 150-200 miles away.  But all of the others are on the west or east coasts, 80-100 miles away.  Time is moving on now, and we're running out of it.  We haven't even been able to travel to Virginia this summer due to the virus.  If you want to move to Florida to get away from state income tax due a lot of research and pick a place with an active AACA Region.  We moved to this God-Forsaken town because my restoration man from Maryland lived next door, but now he's gone and other than one daughter we have nobody here.  She works for an assisted care facility, is happy with the job, and I guess we may need her knowleldge nd contacts in the next 10-15  years, but that is truly the only pluss.  The other daughter is in Baltimore.  I sure would like to take my Buicks back to Virginia and  rejoin all my old friends there.

• Like 2

Another Sunday. Over to the next county for lunch per the routine.

The angle of the sun is just perfect for pictures of a white car this time of year.

From the mound in the village square:

002.thumb.JPG.d6c8342410a48aed8402f31391605f59.JPG

And my masked wife paying the check in the newly compliant spit guard protected area. A $10 donation to the High School band gets you 10% off for the year. The Saturday morning car guys get the break 'cause I'm sitting there with them.

001.thumb.JPG.7fa2103b67f987252b529eb3fb89ddee.JPG

When I was in my early teens that diner didn't have booths, just tables and a counter. I remember stopping for lunch with my grandfather when I was about 14. We had just loaded his '56 Ford rack job with take-off tires from the junkyard nearby. We were sitting at a table where the man in suspenders was today. The waitress sat down our water, took the order, and walked away. My grandfather leaned away from the table and poured half the glass on his hands to clean up a bit. Now that's casual dining.

Today I ordered a tuna sandwich on whole wheat. They were out of the bread so I had them put it on sour dough. The waitress set that white bread in front of me and I told her it made me remember white bread sandwiches with black fingerprints on them. She said her Dad had those kind of sandwiches too.

• Like 4

Well Joyce and I took the '13 out for another drive today.  We drove from our home in Rochester Hills to the Sloan Museum Golden Oldies car show in Flint today.  When we left this morning it was 42deg F outside.  With warm clothes(winter coats), it was a nice day for a drive. 

image000000 (32).jpg

image000002 (13).jpg

When we got close to home, we stopped at our favorite Sunday stop for a banana split.

image000001 (13).jpg

Here is the total for the day.  Only ended up with a tire with a leak that needs to be fixed before the Gilmore Museum tour in a couple of weeks.

image000003 (11).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4