What do you you guys think of this car and the sellers claims?

auburnseeker

Check out this auction on Ebay. Seller claims he was contacted by Barrett Jackson and this car is worth big money. I think he should take their offer? I like the fact that it has survived all these years relatively unscathed. But I think the value he has in mind is "optimistic" at best. Looks like the builder used the Chrysler Thunderbolt as a pattern then revamped it with an Alf Romeo grille.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-Custom-1937-Custom-Ford-Convertible-/181376052290?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a3adaec42&item=181376052290&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

It's easy for an auction company to say "we think your car will bring $$$$$$$.00. Sign it up and watch it sell." Then, the car sells for what it is worth or doesn't meet the reserve (after the seller encounters considerable expense) and the auction company shakes your hand and tells you it wasn't the right car at the right time. All the auction companies do this. Of course, this seller could have made up the auction company's claim too. Either way, the car is what it is and the market will dictate its actual value.

My guess is that a couple of (then new, probably wrecked) Mercurys gave their lives for that body. The side trim looks adapted from a '49 Ford.

I like the fact that it has survived all these years relatively unscathed.

Amen to that! (Although the Alfa-like grille is said in the ad to be a replacement.) I think if the right maker/names are associated with the car it will be worth more than based just on what's in this listing. A lot more information is needed if this guy is to get anything like what he's expecting.

This.

It's easy for an auction company to say "we think your car will bring $$$$$$$.00. Sign it up and watch it sell." Then, the car sells for what it is worth or doesn't meet the reserve (after the seller encounters considerable expense) and the auction company shakes your hand and tells you it wasn't the right car at the right time. All the auction companies do this. Of course, this seller could have made up the auction company's claim too. Either way, the car is what it is and the market will dictate its actual value.

Guest AlCapone

I have experience dealing with Barrett Jackson and I find the story to be very suspect. Why would anyone waste their time with Ebay when the big guys want your car ? I think a potential buyer should pursue the transaction as if there is no validity to the BJ statement. I agree with the rest of you, be cautious at the very least.

Wayne

The quarter panels look like step down Hudson. That's the only part I think I can ID. If the car was really hand crafted it's not a bad job but the front looks like one piece and it's hard to get to the engine. I wish there were more pics but I'm not bidding. I don't see much others bidding either.

Guest prs519

I cannot think of any 3 cylinder engines of proper size for this car. Probably a typo, eh? Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder?

I cannot think of any 3 cylinder engines of proper size for this car. Probably a typo, eh? Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder?

Here you are... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tractor-Motor-Engine-3-Cylinder-Gas-Restored-Warranty-Included-/111235019742?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item19e61fb3de

I like the front since it reminds me of Lancias like in The Godfather, but wow, 4-pics total? Also "high six figures" means close to $1-million, so this guy is off his rocker arms if this is the extent of research and provenance he can supply.

Guest bkazmer
I like the front since it reminds me of Lancias like in The Godfather, but wow, 4-pics total? Also "high six figures" means close to $1-million, so this guy is off his rocker arms if this is the extent of research and provenance he can supply.

If you're referring to the car in Sicily that blows up, that's a postwar Alfa. Don Tommasino's older sedan is a Lancia.

He must have left out a lot of important details when he posted his add on ebay along with all the other pictures. Details like this car belonged to Elvis and was made for Elvis by George Barris. The car was in several movies with Elvis. The car is haunted by Elvis and it drives itself to the fried chicken shack every once in a while.

He must have left out a lot of important details when he posted his add on ebay along with all the other pictures. Details like this car belonged to Elvis and was made for Elvis by George Barris. The car was in several movies with Elvis. The car is haunted by Elvis and it drives itself to the fried chicken shack every once in a while.

I won't believe any car originally belonged to Elvis unless you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that there are genuine peanut butter banana and bacon sandwich stains on the upholstery.:P

I won't believe any car originally belonged to Elvis unless you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that there are genuine peanut butter banana and bacon sandwich stains on the upholstery.:P

I've got a few old cars with stains on the upholstery. They could be peanut butter banana and bacon, but I'll leave it up to the buyer to determine. :)

I'm not about to check them out.

If it's really an early 50's custom, it's not a bad looking rig. I don't see any big price tags getting attached to it, but restored to it's original condition it would be a neat car. I'm a little too far away from Calif. to go looking at it though.

In 1952, GMC made the 450-D 2 1/2 ton truck wanting it powered by the 71 series diesel the 6-71 inline six would not fit in the engine bay. So the Detroit Diesel division made the 3-71 an inline 3 cylinder, based on half of a 6-71 series inline 6.

Yep, the Ford powertrain was the part I was reading too...maybe he'll be back with an even higher price estimate! If he could come up with any supporting literature, old magazine pics or anything, I could see that car going into the $25-50k range. I still think it looks kinda cool.

It's back. Still no more info or photos than previously posted.

I've always thought ebay should require 24 photos to list a car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-2-door-1937-Ford-Custom-Show-Car-/181378755876?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a3b042d24&item=181378755876&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

It obvious he didn't like the bidding so he just upped the starting bid so he wouldn't have to even worry about it. Hopefully the previous bidders will let it go now. Terrible selling practice and I bet he is reported by the previous bidders for doing that.

It's funny. I have bought and sold cars on ebay. But when I have a world class car, I never have to Ebay it or put an ad in Hemmings. They always have a list of people who want them, and a nice private sale is done.

They were using 3 Cylinder Detroit Diesels in Allis Chalmers Crawlers in the late 30's and through the 40's along with other equipment.

I stand corrected, it turns out the Detroit Diesel 3-71 was used in the Allis Chalmers HD-7 at LEAST as far back as WW2.

I do not see any rarity at all. It is not as if it were a concept car special built by Ford for an auto show. Is is only a car that was cobbled together by some garage from old parts. It is like taking a car from any of the custom builders today and saying that it is one of a kind and worth a million dollars. If the people who are bidding on it are legitimate bidders, they seem to be in the process of buying a pig in a poke with regard to the hype the seller is dishing out on this. And it gets even worse since there are so few photos to go by. There are no closeups - and there isn't even a photo of the engine or any of the mechanicals. Warning, Will Robinson!!!