edhd58

1942 Ford Fordor Revival

Okay, I maybe opening a can of worms, but I going to open it anyway. I have had several people come look at my car to paint it, and if from a real body shop they say they;ll only do top quality work, not any weekend driver quality stuff nad teh price starts around 10K$. I am looking for someone in the Guston,KY area which is near Fort Knox. Any one have any one they know and will recommend??

I believe I read an article in "Rod and Custum" magazine a couple years back, on how to get a really nice paint job using Rust-o-leum rattle cans. Don't laugh! 99% of a nice paint job is in the body and prep work and rubbing and polishing afterwords. I plan on investigating this further and trying it myself.

I believe I read an article in "Rod and Custum" magazine a couple years back, on how to get a really nice paint job using Rust-o-leum rattle cans. Don't laugh! 99% of a nice paint job is in the body and prep work and rubbing and polishing afterwords. I plan on investigating this further and trying it myself.

I bumped into an article online about some guys doing a Falcon in rustoleum... turned out looking good, but it was a crapload of work!

Closer to home... I did a motorcycle tank a few years ago in rustoleum. I prepped and prepped, then prepped more before I shot the paint. Turned out good and really looked like a professional paint job but man did it take forever to dry!

I am going to do a true auto paint job in either acrylic enamel or BC/CC. It definately won't be a rattle can or Rustoleum brush job. I may end up doing it myself but I would prefer a real Body/Paint person do it.

If you are not interested in a show car, then you can paint it yourself. Been there three times, and there are tons of YouTube videos on the subject, but Only YOU can make that decision.

If black or solid color piece painting probably work.

i wish you well,

Dale in Indy

"If black or solid color piece painting probably work." I want it to be a midnight blue body, hood, deck lid and doors and the rest to be a dark charcoal grey. I plan on attending some local shows, only to be proud of what it is and have some fun, not to win any points or money. What I don't want to do is mess it up by letting some idiot that thinks they can spray do a terrible job or pay someone that can spray good too little to do a decent job, or pay more than the car is going to be worth just for the paint job. I maybe am asking to much, but I don't think I am, yet.

Can you post a picture of the color theme you are wanting, would love to see.

If you get referrals, and go look, and talk to those that had their car painted by a person, then you should be ok.

I have heard of some great paint jobs, CHEAP in low rent areas of town, but referrals are a MUST.

Dale in Indy

do it youself. i bought the TIP HVLP system and did a couple of jobs and it works just like they say. in the last 12 yrs i have tons of thophys and get compliments all the tim. BC/CC

I am going to do a true auto paint job in either acrylic enamel or BC/CC. It definately won't be a rattle can or Rustoleum brush job. I may end up doing it myself but I would prefer a real Body/Paint person do it.

I just saw an advertisement on TV from Maaco saying that they will paint your car for $299. It may be something to look into. Probably just single stage, but if you do the prep work it may turn out to be a pretty good deal.

Quality paint and supplies will cost more than that.

Of course talking/looking at thier work isn't against the law.

Dale in Indy

I've seen a quality job done by them about 10 years ago and even that was around $1000.

I hadn't thought about MAACO but it is worth looking at. Worst they can do is price me out of there.

Maaco may be a good option for them to paint it since it looks like you're doing all your own prep work.

Glad to hear you aren't considering the Rustoleum. I stripped enough of that crap back in the day to know that even if you get it looking good, your problems are not over. Find out who is selling automotive paints to body shops locally and talk to them about your options and pricing. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to cash and carry a good quality paint with hardners and sealer for under $500. If you are doing your own bodywork, try to find a friend of a friend that's in the industry to check your work over before you pay someone to shoot it. I had a lot of backyard guys bring in work for me to paint that I wouldn't touch without redoing their work. What you think is good, and what a professional painter thinks is good, may be 2 very different stories.

Thanks for the info, I have a local auto paint/body supplier in teh area. They have been answering questions for me along the way too. The my idea of good and the body mans idea being two different things is why I want a real body/paint guy to do the work. that difference in ideas is why some of them wont do anything less than show quality -- no room for opinion difference that way they say. I have another guy coming to look at it simetime next week. a neighbor has recommended him, they have a vehicle they are having him paint. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I can perhaps shed some light onto the question of why almost every body shop will resist doing "driver quality" work. Part of this is because experience has taught many body shops that if there is an imperfection the customer almost wants it repaired, and invariably for free. Few people are willing to accept flaws with the understanding that they come with a lower price. The other part is because a body shop's reputation is based largely on the impression others have of their finished work. No body shop wants a sloppily painted car out there with their name on it. This could have the potential for the following conversation: "Who painted this piece of junk?" Body shop XYZ. "Oh really? Body shop XYZ did this? Usually they do better work. I would never have paid for a job like that. You should take it back." The owner will never say "I told him to short cut the work to stay within my budget." Having been around a lot of body shops and a lot of body shop people, I have heard such a scenario played out on a shop floor after a bargain hunter leaves the premises. Believe me, no body shop worth their reputation would not put themselves in such a position. Just my two cents worth.

ericmac, I fully understand the body shops reasoning and have no argument with them. I am not willing to spend, mostly because I can't afford to, what they need for their paint/body work. What happens is I tell them over the phone "it is not a show car, and I dont want a show car paint job". I send them pictures, and they still want to come look at it. When they see it they price it as a concours show car. I fully and completely , rendunduncy I know, understand why they have to price it that way, but why not tell me before they waste their time and mine coming out to look at it. Oh well, no more pro body shops are gonna be looking at it anyway, I have decided to do it myself. I've worked for a cabinet shop for years and can spray finish just fine. Even though this is different, it's still technique and consistency. I can practice and learn that on this.

when i wanted my 63 bonne painted the cost was more than i paid for the car. i bought the Tip HVLP Turbine system .....& did it myself.at shows & cruise ins i have had people ask if i would paint something they were working on i had to refuse because i am working on another one.

I don't understand why there has to be a driver quality and a show quality job. It should be a good job period. Even so called driver quality should be without flaws. Paint jobs are expensive enough regardless what they call it. I won't accept any job that is mismatched, has runs, ripples, specks, over-spray, orange peel, etc. I expect a job to look like it came from the factory, nothing less and I let everyone know that upfront.

Otherwise I might as well paint it myself.

I agree Bleach, I want it to be right, but it seems there are many variations of right. The more I spend on something the fewer imperfections I overlook. And it does seem to be going the route of " Otherwise I might as well paint it myself".

I went to a local car show this wekend, (Elizabethtown,KY) and saw many a car there with paint jobs I know I can do. It brought me back to my original train of thought, I want to enjoy showing it in local events, nothing fancy and never gonna worry about points or whatever. If I spend tens of thousands of dollars on this, will I enjoy showing it or be soooo afraid someone might dmamge it by getting to close that I wind up spending more time worrying than enjoying. The wife told me to just plan on when the time comes to get what I need to do it as right as I can (she's good to me that way, lol). The people that have seen what I have done so far have said I am taking the right steps to make it a good looking car, so maybe I can do a better job than I give myself credit for. We'll see soon enough.

I had a great day today, went to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville.Ky and found a NOS radiator for my car for $150. I think that is a great day.

I was in Louisville Friday tooooooooo. Love that show, I have been to many around the USA, and this site is WONDERFUL.

Enjoyable time, and HAPPY for YOU.

I met some nice folks from Sumerset too.

Dale in Indy

I would like to ask opinions of you all. I just got my motor back from the machine shop. I intend to paint it. Would it look best painted in pieces then asembled, or should I assemble then paint. Also, of you that have painted engines, what paint works best, is durable to gas, oil etc.?? Should I just go with engine paint made for this motor, it is out there?

post-90054-143142727191_thumb.jpg

post-90054-143142727207_thumb.jpg

Edited by edhd58 (see edit history)

Engines were generally painted as whole assemblies, minus the accessories like the generator and distributor. I think the paint was whatever enamel was in use at the time. In your case, probably the old air dry alkyd enamel. No primer was used as far as I know. Just the paint over clean metal. I think the modern spray paints in the appropriate colors are pretty good. A lot of people use them. You don't need "high heat" paint. Joe