Sign in to follow this  
rocky5517

installing new hood insulation?

About to install new insulation under the hood/ is regular 3-M adhesive ok or do I need high temp adhesive?

thanks

Assume you mean on a first gen? Before you glue anything, try just fitting it in place. When I got mine the vendor said he didn't think it needed glue. I didn't believe him. I was all ready to glue mine in. I just gently pressed it into place without any glue. That was over one year ago. No glue needed. PRL

I just pulled the old factory stuff from '64, it wasn't glued in either. If you get the right stuff, it has the body to hold itself in place. The cheaper stuff will sag.

Everyone who replied made reference to a 1st generation car; what they said might not hold true for your 2nd generation car. You might wait for a couple of replies from other 66- 70 owners.

Ed

Hi Rocky,

I just replaced the ratty and more than likely original hood insulation on my '63 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the original pads were glued in, but not a lot of adhesive was evident. I used Permatex Heavy-duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive (in a large orange spray can). I've used it before on hood pads and never had any problems.

The big center piece won't stay if not glued. even if it doesn't fall out it will sag and scratch up the air cleaner. Originally they used a scant few blobs of some type of heavy bodied sealer/adhesive. At least thats what I've seen present on all the 67s I've had.

When installing new I've used everything from contact cement, black silicone sealer and 3M weatherstrip adhesive and all worked well but when using silcone sealer I had to install holders to keep the insulation in place while it dried. Not a problem with the other two.

. . . same situation on '68/'69s - used a 3M spray adhesive for all pieces, just like you-know-what to a blanket !!

About to install new insulation under the hood/ is regular 3-M adhesive ok or do I need high temp adhesive?

thanks

It's always a good idea to include the year of your car when requesting help. :)

I tucked the small pieces into place and they seem to be tight/ with the large center piece I sprayed some 3M adhesive. Will keep you guys posted, and thanx. And yes, I should have specified a 67.

I used 3M spray adhesive as well when I replaced the under hood insulation on my '68. Absolutely necessary on the large center piece. I sprayed a bit for the smaller pieces as well for good measure. I did that job back around 2008 or 2009, and it has held just fine.

I ordered mine from CARS Inc. in NJ. Part HI635, $33.50 for the 3-piece kit. Just be careful when you install the side pieces - they are not interchangeable.