installing new hood insulation?

rocky5517

Assume you mean on a first gen? Before you glue anything, try just fitting it in place. When I got mine the vendor said he didn't think it needed glue. I didn't believe him. I was all ready to glue mine in. I just gently pressed it into place without any glue. That was over one year ago. No glue needed. PRL

Hi Rocky,

I just replaced the ratty and more than likely original hood insulation on my '63 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the original pads were glued in, but not a lot of adhesive was evident. I used Permatex Heavy-duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive (in a large orange spray can). I've used it before on hood pads and never had any problems.

The big center piece won't stay if not glued. even if it doesn't fall out it will sag and scratch up the air cleaner. Originally they used a scant few blobs of some type of heavy bodied sealer/adhesive. At least thats what I've seen present on all the 67s I've had.

When installing new I've used everything from contact cement, black silicone sealer and 3M weatherstrip adhesive and all worked well but when using silcone sealer I had to install holders to keep the insulation in place while it dried. Not a problem with the other two.

Guest dcdpgh

I used 3M spray adhesive as well when I replaced the under hood insulation on my '68. Absolutely necessary on the large center piece. I sprayed a bit for the smaller pieces as well for good measure. I did that job back around 2008 or 2009, and it has held just fine.