Rare 1949 Meteor 2dr with aluminum heads

Guest tmarvin49

Guest tmarvin49

I am restoring a 1949 Meteor 2 door coach. These are the Canadian ford with a few twists. It has a stock flathead but the flathead has Aluminum Heads . I have never heard or seen a car with these, but they are marked " Ford Canada" and are not after market. Can anyone help with parts, they are almost impossible to find the good thing is that most of the parts are ford but not all tks in advance

'Back in the day', the hot rodders sought out those aluminum Canadian heads for their flathead Ford powered cars. They looked really nice polished up, and were much cheaper than buying new finned aluminum heads from the aftermarket suppliers. They are around, but like you said, they are not easy to find.

I am restoring a 1949 Meteor 2 door coach. These are the Canadian ford with a few twists. It has a stock flathead but the flathead has Aluminum Heads . I have never heard or seen a car with these, but they are marked " Ford Canada" and are not after market. Can anyone help with parts, they are almost impossible to find the good thing is that most of the parts are ford but not all tks in advance

Hello tmarvin. The Aluminum Heads are factory "Made In Canada" items. I'm not an expert, but did own a '51 Meteor Coupe back in the day! Sold or traded off, unfortunately. They're still out there - what do you need? Likely trim items - these are "Meteor Specific" for the year. Send me a pm & I'll look for a few parts, if you wish? Where are you?

Guest tmarvin49

Wow Willy Like I said I am new to this forum. I put my thread up just because, I did not expect any replys cuz the car is not a 57é55é56 Chev or a sunliner. It is nice to meet people that have seen one of these cars. This car is a one owner . My father bought the car to bring me home from the hospital. ( go figure buys a two door when starting a family) The car only has 23000 on it so the body is rust free. Presently the car is torn a part . The engine is being rebuilt and is just about finished. It hooks to an Overdirve trans. I am debating whether to frame off the car. Presently I am 8 bolts away. If the car was a collector then there would be no question but it is a rare but not a high demand car. I will be sending pic when I get a chance . As to parts I need the upper grill portion . it is a waterfall grill, much like the mercury grill but not interchangeable . side chrome would be nice but they interchange with the ford so no problem. One Question The car is in excellent shape, however has surface rust on the frame and under the floor. I could take the shell attached to the frame in and have the entire unit sandblasted and powder coated or take the body off. any advice is appreciated I will send pic soon

If the Meteor was mine, I'd want to preserve it, best as possible. You could soda blast the floor & frame - not taking it apart or pull it apart? Depends on the amount of rust. I'd rather have the Meteor than a tri-five Chevy. My '64 Beaumont (for sale) is neater than a comparable Chevelle in my opinion. Just sayin'. Others may not agree & that's fine with me.