Sign in to follow this  
hotrodgirl66

1949 Sport Coupe Sedan

I am selling my 1949 Sport Coupe Sedan. All numbers matching, ready for interior, paint and will need an engine and transmission. Rust free frame and body in excellent condition and was a garage kept Arizona car when i purchased the car from previous owner. Everything else there Chrome, screws, small details like the interior light switch, ash trays, wiring, gauges, all glass clean all original and all still in the car and in great condition! I also garage kept under car cover since I purchased car 3 years ago. Car was originally a 3 Speed manual on the column transmission; all pedals are there and intact. All connecting pieces also. Clean Arizona title. I do have a more photos of seats front and back.. springs intact and some of the rear setting still has the burlap individual spring covers still on each one. i thought that was amazing when i saw what went into making those seats so compfy in 1949. You can email me for those photos if you are a serious buyer at: hotrodgirl66@live.com

Asking $11, 075.00, Cash only, Only serious buyers. Call: 915.694.3773

VIN# 45500343

Odometer: 0054950

post-99976-143142445218_thumb.jpg

post-99976-14314244522_thumb.jpg

post-99976-143142445221_thumb.jpg

post-99976-143142445222_thumb.jpg

post-99976-143142445224_thumb.jpg

post-99976-143142445225_thumb.jpg

Edited by hotrodgirl66 (see edit history)

Worth about ten percent of the asking price I am afraid.

May have brought about half of asking price if it was original and running.

How is it numbers matching if the engine and transmission are gone? That's pretty much the definition of "matching numbers" isn't it? That the original engine and transmission are still in the car?

Worth about ten percent of the asking price I am afraid.

May have brought about half of asking price if it was original and running.

I agree with Jack and Matt......

I do have the original transmission and it works, its just not in the car at this time. The flathead inline 6 engine I never had. I really am not here to debate or argue my post. And maybe this car is special to me and I dont want someone parting out or scraping it... the price is set for a reason and can be adjusted by me depending on the buyer.

This response is not meant to be taken in a negative way toward anyone on this site. I am having a hard enough time even making the decision to sell him in the first place.

Please I ask that there be no more harsh responses.

Sincerely, Carrie

I hate to say this, but our responses were not meant to be harsh. It's a simple reality that a car like that is not worth your asking price. You should go to your local magazine store or online to get a price guide estimate of the car's value. Sorry if you thought we were out of line.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I hate to say this, but our responses were not meant to be harsh. It's a simple reality that a car like that it not worth your asking price. You should go to your local magazine store or online to get a price guide estimate of the car's value. Sorry if you thought we were out of line.

This forum is mostly about information, thus these responses.

But is is not a matching numbers piece, (more info supplied).

The pic in my avatar while is the nicest 52 wagon I have ever seen cannot be represented as matching numbers as it has had the engine replaced at some point with a correct engine with different numbers on it.

The fact is, that it is your car and you can ask what you will for it. But it is not likely that anybody here will be interested at your asking price.

I like these cars and wish you all of the best with it.

Nobody here was trying to be insulting. We understand sentimentality, but a buyer won't pay extra for it and if you're serious about selling you have to separate the emotional investment from the financial side of it. Here's a view of the market (these cars are your direct competition). You will note that they are all running, driving cars, with about half of them offered for less than your car and half of them for only a little bit more. As long as these cars exist, you will continue to own yours. It's that simple.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/62977.html

http://www.uniquemankato.com/1949-Plymouth-Deluxe-Special-Mankato-Minnesota-56001/4598851

http://www.cars-on-line.com/48853.html

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/dodge/wayfarer/1636193.html

http://www.luckymotors.com/web/used/Dodge-WAYFARER-1949-Villa-Park-IL/3726846/

No insult intended, but you've been badly misled if you think there are going to be enough buyers for this car at that price that you'll be able to vet them to find the right caretaker for it. You came here looking for a buyer. Your potential buyers have given you feedback. How you use that information is up to you. We're more than happy to help with advice, but telling us we're being mean when all we're doing is telling you something you don't want to hear isn't fair, either.

Matt, have you ever considered a diplomat position ?

I'm no diplomat (and wouldn't want to be), but sugar-coating things never helps anyone in the long run. Every time I've told a seller what he or she wants to hear, I end up with a car that I can't sell because it's too expensive. Easier to just be direct and let them make their own decisions. Usually they come back after trying it on their own for a few weeks...

Miss Hotrodgirl, people are giving you this

pricing information to help you. They're not

trying to beat you down because they want your

car. The Forum is filled with many honest and

ethical people with considerable antique-car knowledge.

AACA has members from street-sweepers to

straw-hat salesmen to Hollywood billionaires.

One free source of pricing information is nada.com

on the internet.

It's simply that many cars are low-priced and affordable.

In all humility, you should ponder what they say.

My post is not going to change.. you can move on to a new conversation. Thanks for your interest. :)

This thread is doomed.

My post is not going to change.. you can move on to a new conversation. Thanks for your interest. :)

I would suggest that you put the car up for auction on Ebay and add a reserve price (the minimum you will accept for it). That way, you will see what people in real life will bid and you can go from there. If it meets the reserve, you are golden. If it doesn't meet the reserve, lesson learned. You will have MILLIONS of people looking at it on Ebay.

Doncha just luvit when they want to shoot the messenger??

Well, you have to have some sympathy for HotRodGirl66....it's a no win situation. If we make no comment on the for sale post, she'd be complaining that we're a bunch of tightwads that won't step up and pay a fair price. If we discuss what we feel may be a fair price, then we're a bunch of know-nothings or we're all scheming to try to steal the car.

As much as we try to help, we end up making someone mad.

I think the forum should have a rule that there are NO comments whatsoever about a car for sale, it's a one time post, if it doesn't have all the correct information (price, location etc) then it's removed and sent back to poster for revision, then posted, and any enquiries are either PM or email or phone, but not public. Thus any comment or question on the forum for a "for sale" car is blocked after initial post.

Guest BillP

What if somebody came on here offering to sell their (fill in the blank with your favorite fantasy car) for 10% of its street value. By the tone of the notice the average reader could discern that the seller, while innocent, was not aware of the market and was making a naïve and costly mistake.

Would the reader comment or jump on the next plane? Or should the board be banned from comment?

In that case someone would PM them with a caution that their car is worth much more than they're asking. I'm just suggesting that a "for sale" posting is not a good place for a bunch of forum responses that aggravate the seller, one way or the other....

Hey, my dog's still on the porch and not in the hunt, it was just a comment....

Guest BillP

I dunno, Dave. I might PM too but the more I fill in the blank, for a dime on the dollar, my fantasy garage is filling fast!

Well, you have to have some sympathy for HotRodGirl66....it's a no win situation. If we make no comment on the for sale post, she'd be complaining that we're a bunch of tightwads that won't step up and pay a fair price. If we discuss what we feel may be a fair price, then we're a bunch of know-nothings or we're all scheming to try to steal the car.

As much as we try to help, we end up making someone mad.

I think the forum should have a rule that there are NO comments whatsoever about a car for sale, it's a one time post, if it doesn't have all the correct information (price, location etc) then it's removed and sent back to poster for revision, then posted, and any inquiries are either PM or email or phone, but not public. Thus any comment or question on the forum for a "for sale" car is blocked after initial post.

I notice on Ford Barn they don't allow replies of any kind on the "Swap Meet" which is their for sale section. All you can do is PM to inquire about an item. I don't like it as I think people should be able to make a comment, usually to help, but that's their rules.

I personally see no problem with members commenting on the price of a car for sale, especially if the asking price is way out in left field. I believe that it is obvious that the seller is uninformed about the actual value of the car in question. If I were selling an item (anything), and my asking price was way off with the true market value, then I would like to know. Unfortunately, I believe that hotrodgirl66 has a strong emotional attachment to the car, which has nothing to do with the true value. Believe me, I can relate to this. However, the seller must understand the fact that why would a person buy a car in this condition (not even running, and without an engine) when they could buy a nice running car of the same year and model for considerably less, and in much better condition. This doesn't make any sense.

There are other forums that limit post responses to the for sale forums, but they also have super strict posting rules for the ad. Since I have been looking at 49-51 Mopar business coupes for the last year I can tell you that a really really nice, drive on the AACA show field 3 window of the same variety advertised on this thread would only bring a bit more. You can't give away the 4 doors, and the 2 doors can bring anywhere from nothing to 5k depending on condition. A convertible may bring as much as 20k if it is really really nice.