1916 wood wheel problem.

Guest cardinal905

Guest cardinal905

I am trying to take my 1916 Maxwell wood wheels apart, how do I get the hubs to split ? It looks like there is a split wheel bearing ring captured in there---do I press one side off, I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks for looking Mike.

Guest cardinal905

50 plus views and nobody has a comment or tip ? Perhaps a dumb question but don't want to hurt these parts---there aint many out there.

I don't know the answer which is why I did not chip in before. But I have seen a movie on Youtube, taken in the Ford factory in the Model T days, which shows workers assembling wooden wheels. It might help if you saw how they were put together in the first place. The movie showed the building of a Ford car from start to finish. I don't remember the name but if you search for Model T factory films it should turn up.

That hub isn't like a Ford T at all. This has a Hyatt roller bearing in the hub. The split part is the outer race. You have the parts illustration for reference. You just have to determine how to separate the inner and outer hub castings. I like your attitude........caution. Someone out here has done this before. Just keep asking.

What I usually find is the problem with my camera is my finger print on the lens !

What does the other side of your wheel's hub look like?

Is the brake drum bolted on by the 6 bolts that come through the wood spokes?

I see 4 threaded holes in the ring around the Hyatt bearing race. What are these holes used for? Could you thread a bolt into them and use the bolt to push the inner ring out of the outer ring that has the 6 hub bolts?

Without more and better images, that's about as far as I can guess at an answer..

If you have the bolts out, the hub/ centers should come apart. That is the way that I did for both my car and truck. (1917/1918 Buicks). The hub is probably being held by the wood spoke center area. If you are looking to replace the wood spokes and all, the easy way would be to just cut the old spokes with a saw and it should fall apart.

If you need more info, let me know.

Guest cardinal905

Well after some more head scratching and some scraping I realized that the larger hub was part of the flange on the race side--had thought they were the other way around. We did cut 4 spokes and was able to get them apart. Heated the flange that was on the wheel side and it expanded enough to pry it off.

Guest Restorer Ray

Where in Illinois are you located? I have a restoration shop in Cary Ill and would be happy to look at them if your near. If not we could correspond directly and try to help you out.