Lucas Defroster Accessory

Tsk Tsk, guys! :rolleyes: ! As someone who grew up in a family that drove Austins exclusively for more than 20 years starting in 1946, I feel I have to come to the defence of Lucas electrics. :) Not once in all those years did we have an electrical problem (unless you count a broken fan belt as "electrical"). The cars were reliable to the point of being boring. The car illustrated is a 1952-54 Austin Hereford which used the same engine found in early Austin Healeys. In spite of that, performance was only adequate at best, a top speed of 80 mph being achievable, but one roadtester suggested that it would be adviseable to make sure your life insurance policy was up to date first! ;)

Terry

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I have owned British cars, I worked at two dealerships in the parts department and I also worked at a shop that specialized in Austin Healeys. Some of the Lucas stuff was a little funky, but it really has an undeserved reputation for comprehensive unreliability. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the infamous Clear Hooter crapola that Triumph used. Turn signal stalks that snapped off like uncooked spaghetti, switches that pushed through the instrument panel with the slightest touch and plastic bits that turned to crumbling dust in a year or two.