Sign in to follow this  
edhd58

It has a green engine

I have a 42 Ford Fordor that I am redoing. I think I read somewhere that this should have a blue engine. Mine has a green engine, which is wrong, me or the motor???

post-90054-14314244064_thumb.jpg

Here is what it is. Just out of the car. Think while its out i'll clean up the engine compartment and make it all nice and pretty, wiring and all.

Ok, it's been in there a long time, purrs like a kitten but smokes, I took it out because the clutch shudders like crazy, so I am going to install all the clutch stuff and maybe do a re-ring while it's out. I was just curious as whether it may be original or not.

post-90054-14314244071_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like now, only it's partially disassembled. Its going back semi original. midnight blue body/hood/trunk lid and charcoal fenders and front end with grey interior. But drive line will original, 6cyl, 3spd, and original drum brakes. its a low budget weekend fun toy.

The clutch shudder is probably caused by a worn/stuffed gearbox mount. I would replace it and the front engine mounts as a starter.

Starting in 1941 Ford deleted the engine torque rods and subsituted a new gearbox mount to take the forward and rearward motion out of the engine, gearbox and diff unit as the transverse spring will not help to do this. Once the mount becomes oil impregnated it cannot do its job and it will allow the whole drive train to shudder back and forth when the clutch is released.

In about 1943 Ford brought out an option of a pair of radius rods to counter this problem in staff cars and these connect from the front cross member to the bellhousing whereas the older cars pre 1940 went from the bellhousing back to the frame.

For a definative answer on the correct color for the engine you should ask your question on the Fordbarn where there are many Ford restorers and you will get the right answer.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

To help solve clutch chatter, in addition to the above advice, DO have the flywheel re-surfaced also.

Got the pressure plate off and like i figured, the clutch disc is toast, old, glazed and cracked and about worn out. the pressure plate has been really hot with blueing and so has the flywheel and one of the pressure plate bolts was loose and in the bottom of the bell housing. Both the throwout bearing and pilot bearing are loose. But back to the original question, I guess green is ok cause its going back in green.

I wondered what happened to your project. It's good to see it back on the forum.

WOW, i'm actually kinda shocked that anyone but me even remembered it existed. I had bought a heater for the garage and found that biggest isn't always better. I bought a torpedo heater that is way to large and fumes you out in a heart beat, I shoulda bought one half the size. Anyway, it's warmer now and i don't mind 40 degrees when i'm working. So far all the fenders, front end, hood and trunk lid are off, sanded to metal, epoxy primed then 2k primed. With the front end off, it's time to pull the motor, redo the clutch and replace the wiring and do a general clean-up of the under hood area and chassis (omg it's covered in 50+ year old hard clay).

post-90054-143142440998_thumb.jpg

It'll be great to see the progress on a Ford project here on the AACA. There haven't been that many recently that I can recall.

Good luck!

Do you think I should start a new thread to post the progress or just keep updating here? I've never done anything anyone but me was interested in so I"m new to it.

Personally I think this would be a good thread for the Our Cars & Restoration Projects section.

Gotcha, i had never looked at all the parts of this site. Thank you for the info. it'll go there for sure.

Please share the new link when you get around to it.