Mystery Spindle

Guest liveforliving

Guest liveforliving

Good day to all,

So I'm replacing drum brakes off of my t-bucket. I started by trying to redo the wheel cylinders and brake shoes, but quickly realized the brakes are not off a Ford (The seller must not have known a thing because he said they were 1940 Ford Truck). The shoes measured 10" by 2" which Ford never made. It didn't matter too much to me because the amount of money it cost to repair the drums was too close to buying a kit from speedway for disc brakes. Sadly, the spindle appears to be just as much of a mystery as the drum brake.

Well, I've shown the spindle to all the locals, and no one knows. I'm hoping someone on here can give me an idea of what spindle I have. Extra points if anyone knows what the drums are. See attached pictures!post-99811-143142435471_thumb.jpg

post-99811-143142435386_thumb.jpg

post-99811-143142435418_thumb.jpg

post-99811-143142435445_thumb.jpg

Guest liveforliving

I looked up Lockheed and the brakes used in a 1937 Dodge. It's exciting to see that they're a match with my brakes. Thank you for helping with that! So are the spindles Chyrsler? It does seem to match with Mopar.

So in attempting to convert this to disc, can I use these spindles and does anyone know where to find a good kit for it? I'm worried that I may have to get new spindles. According to the previous owner, the front axle is from a 28-24 Ford and the King Pins are from 63 Econaline Van.

Edited by liveforliving
Correction in spindle (see edit history)

They look like my '41 Plymouth 1/2 ton pickup truck, [ PT125 ] The wheel cylinders on mine are 'odd'. The diameter of the front piston is smaller than the diameter of the rear piston. So there are left side and right side wheel cylinders..

I was unable to find any wheel cylinders labeled for a PT125. But a side by side comparison showed that the dodge wheel cylinders were identical.

As for a disc brake conversion, I would recommend posting on the Dodge/Plymouth/Mopar forums and ask there..

Also, find some Dodge Parts retailers and call them to see if anyone is making conversions.

Good Luck.

GLong

Guest liveforliving

Thanks. I'm looking into now. I've found a site called www.oldmoparts.com. I'm hoping they can provide some help.

The spindles are what still concern me. I'm not sure how critical it is to know exactly what they are in order to do the brake conversion.

I'd say the spindle is the most critical part of doing a disc brake conversion.

The conversion will have new spindles with the correct bearing diameters, correct bearing spacing, correct kingpin diameter, and kingpin length. The new spindle must also have a mounting flange on it for the disc brake caliper to mount on.

Since there are hundreds of brake disc sizes, diameters, lug nut patterns, off sets, etc. And there are probably an equal number of different brake calipers to go with the brake discs. So the hub for the wheel to mount to, and the spindle are the critical design items.

Since there is a pretty big Dodge truck following, I suspect someone makes a spindle/hub/disc/caliper conversion for the Dodge front axle.

GLong