Rechromed Ralley Wheels

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Anyone offer rechromed wheels on a core exchange? Next question anyone know of a recommended plating shop in N. CA or CA/NV?

Thanks,

Clams

Guest clamshells
Clams,

Rally America is in Prather CA does a good job. All you do is send them the cores, they clean them up, chrome them and paint the web for a pretty reasonable price, it sometimes takes a while but the results are very good - www.rallyamerica.com

gord

Thanks gord!

BTW........I have a set of 65 "wires" they are typical driver quality. IDK if they can be restored as the outer ring(s) are all rough. They are other wise in very good to excellent shape.

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

I too had my wheels done by Rally America and was very pleased. Turn around time was about 6 or 7 weeks. They said they do not paint web area gray (for 1965 models) because everyone fusses that it is the wrong color and I requested them to leave them blank that I would them myself. Very pleased with the quality of the job that was done.

post-30851-143142434594_thumb.jpg

Rob used Rally America as well. If I recall correctly, he had an issue with quality of the black painted inserts and I believe RA paid for return shipping from FL to CA and corrected the problem. The full measurement of a vendors service is always revealed when a problem arises.

I wouldn't consider sending wheels anywhere else for replating no matter what. http://forums.aaca.org/f177/rally-america-rechromed-wheels-325496.html

Rechroming these Buick wheels properly takes alot of experience and is a specialty service many plating shops don't want to deal with. So even if you find a shop who says they will do them, ask them how many Buick wheels they have done in the past.

Guest clamshells
I too had my wheels done by Rally America and was very pleased. Turn around time was about 6 or 7 weeks. They said they do not paint web area gray (for 1965 models) because everyone fusses that it is the wrong color and I requested them to leave them blank that I would them myself. Very pleased with the quality of the job that was done.

They look great! My question is what did they look like before?

Guest Rob J

Yes, when I originally received my set back from Rally America, several of them had some issues with paint runs, and one had an issue with the chrome. They paid for the return shipping, fixed them, and sent them back on their dime. They came back beautiful. I would highly recommend them.

BTW, my wheels were a mess before, and they came back better than new. Take a look.

DSCN4120_zps2474ecd2.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest merrillcrosbie

Rob J - Slightly off topic, but where did you find those 2" whitewalls? I am looking for those in 225 70 15 but can't find them anywhere. I can find extra wide 4" WW and 1" WW, but the width you have is what I need. Can you point me?

Guest clamshells
Yes, when I originally received my set back from Rally America, several of them had some issues with paint runs, and one had an issue with the chrome. They paid for the return shipping, fixed them, and sent them back on their dime. They came back beautiful. I would highly recommend them.

BTW, my wheels were a mess before, and they came back better than new. Take a look.

DSCN4120_zps2474ecd2.jpg

Hi Rob, do you by chance have a before pic of the wheels? Mine are correct 65's in as bad of shape I have seen. I'd like to know which of mine are candidates to send in and which are too far gone.

Guest Rob J
Rob J - Slightly off topic, but where did you find those 2" whitewalls? I am looking for those in 225 70 15 but can't find them anywhere. I can find extra wide 4" WW and 1" WW, but the width you have is what I need. Can you point me?

As posted, I got my tires from Diamond Back Classic Tires. They will vulcanize any size whitewall you like.

My wheels were in pretty good shape but someone had posted some before and after pictures of what Rally America had done. The before pictures were pretty ugly. One other thing a lot of chrome shops will not touch wheels. Rally America also checks them to be straight and true before they do anything.

Guest merrillcrosbie

Thanks, yes I have tried both Coker and Diamondback. Coker doesn't make 225 70 15 with the WW I want, it is either 4" super wide 50s vintage WW or the skinny WW from 1990s. Diamondback is a plant on WW, rather than molded in. To be honest, I would really like to find the Tiger Paw Royal Seal tires that originally came on the car with the 2 inch WW with the Royal Seal Crown molded in, but I have searched everywhere looking for those with no good results. Vogue has some with the right WW, but they include a gold rubber bit as well that is not what I am looking for. I really like the WW that Rob J is showing above, but I am having hard time finding it in the size I want. I may have to go to a 75 series. Coker has those. But I would really like to stay with the 70 series so my odometer isn't dorked up.

The difference in the circumference of the 215/75R15 and 225/70R15 tires is negligible. Your stock speedometer is probably off that much anyway. I had 225/70's on one of my '83XX cars and had some rubbing problems on the rear tires with the fender well when the height sensor went south on me. I also liked the looks and the ride of the 215's better. According to the ROA's website, the OE size tire for the '83 was a 205/75R15.

Here's a link to a comparison of the two. It shows that at 70 mph with the 225 tire, the speed with the 215 tire will be 70.8. Something I could live with. Especially since neither of my new cars run exactly the shown mph when compared to the mph shown on my GPS (which is accurate according to some radar I've been through.)

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Plus you'll probably get better mileage with the 215: it doesn't have the rolling resistance of the wider tire and it's just that teensy bit larger in diameter which means fewer revolutions per mile. :)

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest merrillcrosbie

Thanks. Yeah, I have used a tire conversion link extensively as I have been trying to decide what to do on my Riv and my other cars. Actually, the two tire sizes that were available from the factory were 205 75 15 and the 225 70 15. Mine came with the 205 75 15 Tiger Paw Royal Seals originally, and they were just too skinny. They looked too small for the car, and they would squeal like a pig during the smallest turns. The 70s fixed that. But, you are right, it made a difference in gas mileage. It was a dramatic difference too. On road trips with the 75s I would get 22 mpg. The same road trip with the 70s dropped to 18 mpg.

Question though. Why would they calibrate the speedo using bias ply tires? Radials were standard on my Riv, and radials had been used on every car I had bought new since the late 70s. The last car I bought that came from the factory on bias ply tires was a 1972...which I promptly replaced with radials.

I am sorry to hijack this thread.

Question though. Why would they calibrate the speedo using bias ply tires? Radials were standard on my Riv, and radials had been used on every car I had bought new since the late 70s.

I am sorry to hijack this thread.

You must have read this before I edited it. When you referred to the tires on Rob's car, I thought that you too had a first generation car.