Stutz V24

West Peterson

There were a small handful DV-24 engines built by the factory. It's a regular Blackhawk 6 engine with a DOHC head instead of the normal SOHC. The engine in question was in California for decades, and sold a couple years ago. The guy who bought the engine put it in a 1929 Blackhawk roadster that had a regular SOHC 6 before. It's basically just like the head on an 8 cylinder DV-32 Stutz, but built for the 6 cylinder engine.

29-Stutsz-DV-24-Blackhawk-DV-13-US-e01.jpg

29-Stutsz-DV-24-Blackhawk-DV-13-US-01.jpg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

We have known about the DV24 for a good many years. David Braun deserves our gratitude for saving this engine after it was apparently used extensively for racing in California. He had most of what he needed to build it back into an L6 Blackhawk as has now been properly done. (I don't know about body though; and if he had a complete good car to restore it into, his achievement may have matched his intent and his understanding of its significance). As it was, his other great interest was narrow gauge railways; and he told me he was restoring a couple of items of 2ft6"gauge rolling stock at his home; but sadly he must have run out of steam before he reached the DV24 on his timetable. A couple of years ago , a forum participant posted photos of the engine as it was, asking for identification. This raised the possibility that a second engine had survived, but it was a while since I had correspondence with David, and it was in the hands of his executors.

It would be hard to determine whether the engine block is the original without detail examination inside and out. Obviously it is a prototype; but its origin may be a couple of years later than the first handful of prototype DV32s. It would be very interesting to know if it has Stutz steel connecting rods in it.

The initiation of the DV 32 is likely to have been early-mid 1928, because my engine has a late June 1928 casting date, and the word "SPECIAL" cast on the same side, upside down. It is a BB pattern block, with different coreing for the larger 3 3/8"bore. DV30004 is a 1928 engine number, earlier than any known M series car surviving. I shall write more later in explanation, because some recent efforts to write helpful posts have been obliterated by the forum software: Also, qualifying for the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix is about to start, and I shall watch that.

They could well be Excelsior Comp on the Stutz. I went to the Coker website and found many sizes. I would need 700 x 16 which they stock, but the cool side walls are not on the 700's. They are a bit spendy at $300 - $400 each.

Is the Stutz a bit over restores or was the engine compartment that glitzy with chrome?