Sign in to follow this  

1938-1940 Nash need general info

I was just offered a 38 or 40 Nash 4 door that was driven into a garage in 1969 and has been sitting there untouched since then. The car was supposedly parked due to a broken generator bracket.<P>The only description I've gotten so far is:<BR>Three windows on the side of the car.<BR>The rear doors are hinged at the rear.<BR>The rear seat is at the last side window ( like a limo)<BR>Inline engine, they claim it is a 6 cyl but years ago I ground valves on a 36-38 Nash straight 8. Does a 6 exist?<P>From this vague description, please tell me it is a ultra rare car that will fetch millions from the new wave of classic car "investors" tongue.gif" border="0 <BR>Thanks

More info.<BR>The headlights are set in the fenders and are behind glass covers like a ~ 65 and older VW Bug.<BR>The rear of the car pretty much swoops down with a trunk lid that is more like a rear door rather than a "lid"

Sounds like you're describing a '39. The '38 had headlight pods. The '40 had sealed beam headlights. Both the '39 & '40 had a distinctive front styling treatment. There was a tall narrow grille in the center that was flanked on each side by grilles ~ 1 1/2' square.<P> A six cylinder engine was also used those two years. The Old Cars Price Guide shows the 4 door models in #1 condition just barely breaking into the 5 digit price range. If this one has the overdrive option, it could be a respectable tour car. <P> Tom

Harold,<P>Sounds like quite a find, however, don't plan on this Nash funding your retirement.<P>While probably not "rare", being an "orphan car", these aren't seen as often as Big Three cars of similar vintage, which would make it attractive to me... wink.gif" border="0 .<P>Since the car is over sixty years old, it will need some TLC to get it driving again (especially new brakes throughout & tires); but if you don't have to fix a lot of rust and missing parts, it might not be a bad project.<P>A bit of advice if you do wind up with it: since it's been "inside" (presumably warm & dry, and sheltered from the sun) for so many years, if it is left to sit outdoors, it will probably begin to deteriorate rapidly: the rubber has probably shrunken and will allow water to seep in around the windows & cowl, and the sun will quickly go to work on already dry-rotted upholstery and any plactic that might be in the knobs or dash.<BR>If this damage has already occurred during the working life of the vehicle, then it's not so great a concern; but if it was "really nice" when it went inside, keep it sheltered.<P>If the generator bracket was the only reason for it being parked, you might have stumbled on to a "survivor"... clean it up and enjoy it!<P>I always thought that the '39 & '40 Nashes were really nifty looking, particularly the '39 with its square headlights!