1927 Dodge Brothers Senior Six brake question

I was wondering if anyone knew if the brake parts were interchangeable between Dodge Brothers year and model? That being said, I wondered if the brake parts for say a 1928-29 Dodge Brothers Standard would fit on a 1927 Dodge Brothers Senior Six Sedan? Are the parts the same?

Doubtful that there is an interchange on the majority of items but if you were more specific on what parts you were in need of information concerning than I could look within the catalog's.

Cant spend countless hours looking up many individual brake components only to find out they were not the parts you were seeking info for.

Thank you for responding. The brake parts I was wondering about were the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. We just bought a 1927 Dodge Brothers Senior Six sedan and I was curious as to interchangeability of wheel cylinders and master cylinders between year and model.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]238227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]238228[/ATTACH]

The Master Cylinder p/n 212136 fits models 130,131,2249 ,2251. Front wheel cylinders p/n 36635 fits models 130 and 131 The p/n 200508 fits 2249, 2251 2252 and DB models Rear Cylinders p/n 200509 fits all of the previous mentioned models Hope this helps Ron

My 2249 is fitted with a W.E.Co 200525 R H D (200506 L H D) Master Cylinder assembly. The parts book is a bit confusing as the Master Cylinder supply tank 's number is 200929 RHD (200327 LHD ) the actual Master brake Cylinder that is fitted inside the tank is P/N 200362 I believe the M.B.C was changed when Chrysler took over Dodge. 212136 will be that replacement.

Hi there Vintagecarguy I have just realised that you are new to these forums What model Senior 6 do you have and what body style I am restoring A 2249 Series with an Australian Tourer body My car is the same as Gundogs Can you post some pictures? Thanks Ron

Hi Anthony, That may be so too. The information that I posted came from the reproduced 1914 to 33 Dodge Brothers master parts cd and I believe there are some doubts to its correctness Thank you for your input

Hi Ron,

The Master Cylinder p/n 212136 ;if it is similar to the one fitted the 1928/29 Plymouth U ,it would make a good substitute and be much easier to restore.

Hi Ron Lawson, thank you for your help. We just bought the car but it hasn't been delivered yet. Its a 1927 2249 model Senior Six 4 door sedan that's all original. Here's another questions concerning brakes. I've seen on some websites for Dodge Brothers parts that have wheel cylinders for 28 to maybe 1930 but not for '27. Would '28 wheel cylinders work on a '27, or are they completely different?

Vintagecarguy If your Senior is a 1927 It is a 2249 series This model was made from May 27 until Dec 27 From Jan 28 until June 28 it became a 2251 series Both Series are almost identical body wise however there are changes to the engine power out put on the 2251 and the drive train was different Open drive shaft on the 2251 compared to a torque tube setup on the 2249 I have been led to believe that even though the 2249 series were built in '27 both it and the 2251 series are classed as 1928 models I think that is where the confusion is with the parts that are advertised as for a '28 will also fit a car made in '27 I hope that I haven't confused you too much There are many Dodge Brothers owners on this forum that have loads more knowledge than I have and I am sure they are able to help if I have missed something They are ever so helpful Looking forward to seeing your pictures when your car arrives Ron

Not to discourage anyone from posting info but the part numbers given thus far are incorrect for the original equipment parts. Ron is possibly showing some super-ceded part numbers and Gun-dog is just a bit confused concerning import/domestic applications and possibly has some things backwards unless I am misunderstanding his post.

If Ron and Gundog would like to see the mistakes I will post the proper pages showing the errors, if you guys dont care than I will leave it alone and work on getting the initial posters questions answered.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Ron Lawson you've been very helpful. It is a little confusing when they consider the 1927 built car a 1928 model and then when you look for parts you would assume that parts would be almost the same. But I guess its all in the details. I will try and post pictures of the car when it arrives. I will admit though it is a project car.

Vintagecarguy

I am trying to put this together but it takes time sifting thru old books so I will submit the correct part #s as I find them and cross refernce them to other models as time permits.

Info derived from the original first series Senior specific parts book. Info pertains to domestic car production since I am assuming that is what we are dealing with.

Original front wheel cylinders part # 200508

Original rear wheel cylinders part # 200509

Original Brake master cylinder assy part # 200364 or 200362 Master cylinder.....Unfortunately this was supplied by the mentioned W.E company which according to notations within the book were suppliers of export only devices, I see no listing for a domestic master cylinder assy and have looked several times. May be an error or omission of full facts within catalog or may be a mis-interpretation on my part.

Will work on a cross-reference if there is one.

EDIT; I was able to find a preliminary edition First series Senior parts manual in my stash and they are showing the same info concerning master cylinder, no specific domestic master cylinder part # shown, only the export.

EDIT: 1928-29 Standard six of course used mechanical brakes or steel-draulic later in the series along with the light duty trucks so thats out.

I may have found the omission within the Senior catalog in that the W.E company part number for the assy would have been a F.C 582 for the master cylinder assy and a FD-388 for the master cylinder itself.

This according to ( assuming I am reading correctly ) the early Victory six parts manual which appears to carry the same master cylinder as your Senior model according to the numbers.

So that is one option and enough for the evening.

Rear wheel cylinders carry same part # as the Victory, front do not have the same part #

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I do not belive I have made any mistakes. The notes on W.E.CO are to do with the product licencing not fitted componets; plainly W.E.Co wanted to retain and control their domestic (U S A) market.

The braking set up and M.B. C diagrams I posted, except for the LHD or RHD versions, are the same for all 2249 Senior's.

When I rebuilt the brakes on my 2249 sedan last year I was able to get the rubber cups from Napa. If you are going to need those I will try to find their part number for you. They are 1 1/4" as I recall. One big problem I had was the cap on the master cylinder tank. The pot metal broke when I tried to get it off. I managed to find a later design that did not have the 3 pot metal lugs to hold the top on. When you get the car, if you need any help or photos just ask. I just finished mine and Ron Lawson is working on his so between us we have been through just about everything and should be able to help. We will also be in Detroit in June for the centennial meet and I will have my car there. One word of warning, every piece of potmetal on my car was bad and disintegrated. This included the brake fluid cap, carburetor, coil bracket, door handles and window cranks, gauge housings, and speedometer casting.

When I rebuilt the brakes on my 2249 sedan last year I was able to get the rubber cups from Napa. If you are going to need those I will try to find their part number for you. They are 1 1/4" as I recall. One big problem I had was the cap on the master cylinder tank. The pot metal broke when I tried to get it off. I managed to find a later design that did not have the 3 pot metal lugs to hold the top on. When you get the car, if you need any help or photos just ask. I just finished mine and Ron Lawson is working on his so between us we have been through just about everything and should be able to help. We will also be in Detroit in June for the centennial meet and I will have my car there. One word of warning, every piece of potmetal on my car was bad and disintegrated. This included the brake fluid cap, carburetor, coil bracket, door handles and window cranks, gauge housings, and speedometer casting.

RWPerry thank you for your offer to help. I'm excited about this car and to know that there are people out there who are willing to help is great. Its also good to know that there are other Dodge Brothers Senior Six Owners out there. By the way, what year and make was the master cylinder you used from?

I am trying to put this together but it takes time sifting thru old books so I will submit the correct part #s as I find them and cross refernce them to other models as time permits.

Info derived from the original first series Senior specific parts book. Info pertains to domestic car production since I am assuming that is what we are dealing with.

Original front wheel cylinders part # 200508

Original rear wheel cylinders part # 200509

Original Brake master cylinder assy part # 200364 or 200362 Master cylinder.....Unfortunately this was supplied by the mentioned W.E company which according to notations within the book were suppliers of export only devices, I see no listing for a domestic master cylinder assy and have looked several times. May be an error or omission of full facts within catalog or may be a mis-interpretation on my part.

Will work on a cross-reference if there is one.

EDIT; I was able to find a preliminary edition First series Senior parts manual in my stash and they are showing the same info concerning master cylinder, no specific domestic master cylinder part # shown, only the export.

EDIT: 1928-29 Standard six of course used mechanical brakes or steel-draulic later in the series along with the light duty trucks so thats out.

I may have found the omission within the Senior catalog in that the W.E company part number for the assy would have been a F.C 582 for the master cylinder assy and a FD-388 for the master cylinder itself.

This according to ( assuming I am reading correctly ) the early Victory six parts manual which appears to carry the same master cylinder as your Senior model according to the numbers.

So that is one option and enough for the evening.

1930, thank you for looking. This shines a some light on the brakes. Thank you again.

Vintagecarguy.

I do not know what year or model the master cylinder cap was that I used. I found it at a swap meet and bought it hoping it would work. The tank it was on looked just like mine so I thought it worth a shot. I do not know what other cars used these master cylinders. I believe they were made by Werner-Lockheed'

One thing you might want to do is buy the Victory Six CD from the Dodge Brothers Club store. There are a lot of things in common between the Victory Six and the Senior Six and I got some useful info from this. I just got done rebuilding the speedometer and the instructions were all on the CD. John Bittence put the CD together so it is very thorough and it has a lot of very helpful info in it

I do not belive I have made any mistakes. The notes on W.E.CO are to do with the product licencing not fitted componets; plainly W.E.Co wanted to retain and control their domestic (U S A) market.

The braking set up and M.B. C diagrams I posted, except for the LHD or RHD versions, are the same for all 2249 Senior's.

See attached, Senior parts catalog

post-48869-143142426463_thumb.jpg