Ford wheel twenties

Guest Voogd

Guest Voogd

L.S.

I am working on a publication about the archaeological stuff found in a filled in canal in Amsterdam (Netherlands). At the moment we're focussing on the automobile finds. One of them is a Ford-wheel. Propably out ot the twenties. Is there someone who knows to what Ford model it belonged. And in what year these type of wheels were produced. AACA-member Sambarn thought it was a '29-'31 Model A wood (artillery-style) wheel. But he of she wasn't quite sure (thanks! Sambarn).

Fanta Voogd - Amsterpost-99521-143142418581_thumb.jpgdam

post-45154-143142418866_thumb.jpgI would have put money on, there were no wood wheeled Model "A"s

I would have gone home, sadder and wiser. Now, I'm just wiser:)

The wheels on this AA don't look like what the OP posted. They seem to be some sort of disc wheel that has rotted away, leaving just a remnant of the wheel

Guest Voogd

I found newspaper articles about an accident on december 8th 1927 exactly at the location where the hub was found (in a canal). Two cabs hit each other badly and a wheel of one of the cars was torn off.

I understood that Ford made special taxicabs.

Could it have been a cab?

Fanta Voogd - Amsterdam

I believe the Ford hubcap is on the wrong side of the hub. Where it is placed in the pic is actually a bearing race. Definitely a '28 AA cap and I suspect the remains of a steel perforated disc wheel or possibly a brake drum. The Ford cap is actually about 3 inches in diameter to give an idea of scale.

Guest Voogd

Thank you all!

I send an e-mail to Mr. Neil Wilson of the AA Fords Club. He was positive that the cap belonged to a a 1928 AA truck (after March 1928). He wasn't sure about the hub. Meanwhile I found another newspaper article about a truck loosing its front wheel (and driving into the canal) at the location where the wheel was found (july 26th 1930). I'm trying to find out more about the accident in the police archives. Thanks again!

Fanta Voogd - Amsterdam