Wilf Sedanet

1949 Buick Super Sedanet (56S)

Hi guys and gals,

some of you may remember that I put up a WTB for a '49 Buick Sedanette. I have been searching for this ultimate dream car for about ten years but never found the one that fitted my wishes (some were too clean, some too expensive, some too far gone, some were horrible custom cars that broke my heart). This year I finally found the car I have hoped and dreamed for so long.

Starting this thread still feels a bit premature since the car is not here in The Netherlands yet (it will be shipped this month - there's some delay due to the severe winter on the East Coast of the USA) but since I bought it, it's technically already mine.

So here it goes, my first pictures to share with you.

post-98358-143142415843_thumb.jpg

The car has been repainted some decades ago and that paint is beginning to wear a bit too but my guess is the car is painted Allendale Green originally.

The car has its plus and minor points, I'm prepared for the minor points and pleased with the plus points. When I get it here I'll first repair and change everything I need to get it registered here and after that I'll gradually change and repair the things that need to be addressed to make it a solid, complete working driver. I hope to drive it to Sweden this summer already although I do need to sell my DeSoto to make that happen (gas is not cheap in Europe).

Cheers, Wilfred

post-98358-143142415813_thumb.jpg

post-98358-14314241583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wilf Sedanet
Changed faulty title from sedanette to sedanet (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you, 95Cardinal!

It sure has the looks but as every car nut knows pictures can be a bit deceiving. There is still work to do. But it is a really solid and great start!

Some of the things not working that I will address when it's here are:

- Speedometer is not working. The odometer is so it's probably something in the gauge housing (I heard something about a magnet..?).

- Locks are not working easy / properly. We'll clean all of the linkages and lubricate them, this may be the trick.

- The radio does come on but does not make a sound. This may have a numerous of causes of course (faulty tubes, wiring, speaker, potmeters or whatnot).

- Exhaust gasket is leaking when engine is cold (cracked gasket I was told).

Some things probably needed for registration:

- European front lights (American lights have a flat line, in Europe we have to have a skewed end to light things on the passenger side of the road).

- Rusted out body mounts.

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

Wilco, Great find and a really beautiful model ..Wow! :cool: We keep our eyes on your progress , and for questions just ask .

Maybe usefull for your information is MTH Classic services in Almelo , he is a Cadillac expert but knows a lot of other GM cars too . He repaired my waterpump and friction plate and renewing now the seals of my front shocks , Great guy and saves you shipping costs to the US to sent your cores ...

Paul

Thanks for the kind words and tips, much appreciated. I've a good friend who will help me make the car tip top. He sells high quality car stuff (for the things that need not be period correct, just solid and trustworthy) on his site specialpartz.com and lives around the corner. If MTH can offer restoration parts cheap that would be great. I need an exhaust gasket but rockauto asks insane shipping costs these days (even costs that should be company costs like shipping costs from different warehouses to the distribution center).

Wlfred, congratulations on a great find! As you can see from my avatar, I was infected with the 49BuickSedanette virus, too. When is it supposed to ship to the Netherlands? We'll be looking for lots of pictures once it gets home.

Geoff

BCA 46433

Sure is another Super car! Congrats. Can't wait to see more pictures.

I got some nice stuff from the seller - a box of perfect literature and some new pictures taken in February. Because of the personal notes I blurred the letter and I only uploaded one of the pictures of the car. This picture does the color of the car more right I guess. It seems like the respray somewhere in the seventies or eighties was based upon Allendale green. It has a nice deep green color to it but in direct sunlight it seems to have a bit of yellowish lighter green in it too, maybe a bit metallic? We'll see when it gets here… :)

post-98358-143142417199_thumb.jpg

Car as of February 2014 in its habitat - this will change as of March / April.

post-98358-143142417206_thumb.jpg

Box full of the stuff one really wants - a perfect owners manual (as new - it says it has been printed in '49 but could be a reprint..?) and a work shop manual. The magazine has a nice article especially about the '49 Buick design - great text and pictures! The envelope is empty but seems like an original envelope. What was this envelope for..?

Edited by Wilf DeSoto (see edit history)

Very Nice !! Glad you found one. I will admit I am a bit jealous as I'm realizing how hard it is to find parts for these one year only 49s .. Especially Sedanette specific. Be happy you got a complete one !! Enjoy

I'm very glad indeed although I'm gonna need new bumpers and a grille if I want them neat. The car has been transported to the docks of NY. The big wait begins. I heard there is a big delay because of the cold and harsh winter, so I have no idea when it arrives here.

The 49 Sedannette is unquestionably a beautiful car with great lines. Looking forward to seeing the repairs and ready for the road come summer. Enjoy!

Thanks! Anxiously waiting here. :) I already enrolled for a US car meeting on the Zandvoort racing circuit end April so I hope it does not take too many weeks before I can get it from the shipper. I do have to be prepared to wait about a month because of delays I heard. Let's hope that's just a pessimistic guess. :)

Small update: the container finally shipped on April six and arrived in Rotterdam at April 16. Because of Easter the container was opened this week. The car got through customs and will be delivered to my place next week.

So next week I'll give more updates! :)

It's next week today (monday)! Today the car will be delivered at my garage… A bit unreal but today is the moment I've been waiting for since january…. Wow! Pictures will follow! It's now midnight here so in maybe an hour or twelve I'm wiser about the car :)

Anxiously awaiting your pictures. Hope it's better than you expect.

It's next week today (monday)! Today the car will be delivered at my garage… A bit unreal but today is the moment I've been waiting for since january…. Wow! Pictures will follow! It's now midnight here so in maybe an hour or twelve I'm wiser about the car :)

I had, at one time 2 49 Super Sedanettes... and tons of spare parts.. These are truly one of the most beautiful cars ever built IMO.. I will caution you.. They are a 1 year car only and parts are very hard to find since there is very few parts that interchange from other years... I still have a few parts leftover from my 49 days.. I also have a lot of literature and I mean alot!!

Let me know if you need anything and I can see if I have it in my leftover parts... Great car!! I wish I had totally finished mine...

Congrats

Thank you Kelsey, I hope I don't need much but I do think it would be smart to stock some parts although I don't know which parts yet until I see the car IRL and up close...

Yes! It's here! Alas I had to leave abroad for work. Just finished so here's a picture of me earlier today :) I hope it works, attaching a pic on my iPhone.

post-98358-143142486155_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wilfred What happend to the Buick ??? wheels on the roof :P LOL

wat een mooie auto ! ( what a beautifull car)

Congratulations it looks great is that the same buick / (color) as in your avatar ?

regards Paul

Super Wilf! I'm going to be watching this post for lots of "baby" pictures. I had the same reaction as Paul - the color looked lighter in your avatar, but different cameras produce different hues.

The car looks great - I hope it is everything you were hoping for.

Geoff

SPECTACULAR !!! One of my all time favourites.

Can't wait to see more photos.

The color of the car has been a surprise throughout. It is the same car as in my avatar but it was then standing in the sun. My picture was made on a cloudy day and the car was covered with dust from standing in NY I suppose. When I brushed away the dust I could see the metallic color coat that will give it a lighter color in full sunlight.