Concours show advice…..factory KX-dual quad car

emmd61

Hi All,

I have an invitation to show my 64 Riviera factory KX-dual quad car at Pinehurst Concours Show. Any advice on how to get it ready for the show? I have never entered, or been invited, to a show. I would like to detail the engine compartment (rest of car is super clean). Any good resources for engine paints, stickers, factory hoses/clamps, and other items to detail the engine? All advice really appreciated. Hope to make you other Riv owners proud.

Arthur

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi Arthur,

Good to hear that you are making the effort to enter a prestigious event like a concours. Can you post pics of your car so we can examine it closely to see where we think it may need a tweak here or there? A photo or two of the engine compartment, interior, trunk, exhaust, ect. may go a long way to get the advice you are looking for. Just a thought.

Find out if the judges will be scrutinizng authenticity/originality or will they be focusing more on condition, presentation and show detailing. In other words will they deduct if something is gloss black instead of semigloss black or will it be OK as long as it appears excellent?

You basically have 2 months to prepare which isn't much but maybe your car is already 95%.

Concours shows can sometimes be intimidating and normally I would not recommend jumping into one of those without first getting experience having your car judged under a point system like AACA or BCA. It just depends on how the show is run. While the term "Concours" typically means the best of the best,elite, etc, it is sometimes used loosely. Speaking with someone who attended the show last year should offer valuable insight.

Agree we'd love to see some good pics of your KX. Much easier for folks to make suggestions.

Guest northmn

They will look for proper clamps,fan belts,wear, dirt, corrosion, paint, seals, and just about everything you might not think they will be looking for. My suggestion is just do your best and take it their. They will judge it and give you a mark under 100 and gove you a marked sheet showing the areas and items that need work . I took mine to our ACCCC here the first time and received 3rd place. They wanted me to better the car and re-enter it again. After doing a frame off resto I took it back 2 yrs later and received first place. It is an honour if you receive any award from these events.

Depending on the show you may not even open the hood. Some of the high end shows have expert judges for a class. However, think about how hard it is to find experts that would really know what type of chalk mark should be on a particular make & model of car that is in a class called "Post War American Closed". Mostly the shows are beauty contests and you will be judged on exterior/interior fit and finish. Authenticity to a minute level probably not.