The Whippet-Any information requested

I am looking for any information about the whippet car-have one at my grandfathers farm and just not sure about it. I am asking for any information to help me determine it's value and such<BR>Thank you

My father has a '29 Whippet coupe. Where are you located at first? He will be at the AACA show in Purchase, New York next week with our Plymouth pickup. Otherwise, I can give you further information to contact him. The biggest thing with Whippets are they're not that common, parts are extremely hard to come by, and when you look at them quick, they resemble a Model 'A.' Although they are a rare car, they're not something highly sought after so it's not something that you'll get rich off of. The whippets were more of a lower income vehicle.

The motor, transmission and drivetrain are all intact. I dont know what year the car is but it was a small car and the gas cap is located on the back bumper. The emblem on the front says landover whippet. Can you tell me anything more about it. It may not be worth much but i was just asking for my information as to what i could find out about it, because it i knew my grandfather drove it and he did work in Ohio during the depression, although he is from the south. He has many old vehicles on his farm. He was a master mechanic for John Deere. He also has a studebaker truck, old dodges. mostly all flathead motors, ford flathead v-8's, appreciate any information and Thank you smile.gif" border="0

ex98thdrill thanks for the information, i wont be anywhere around new york but you might mention it to your dad and see what he has to say, i would appreciate it. i live in Tn again thanks

Although I'd like to mention it to my father, I can't. ....I'm at war in a country ending in s-t-a-n. I don't expect to be home until sometime next year. If you e-mail me at ex98thdrill@cs.com, I can give you some information on my father where you can either call or write to him. My dad refuses to get on the internet, and my mom won't open up any e-mails from anyone unless she recognizes the address. I've only talked to my dad twice in the four months that I've been here. The only way I get word to him is through my mother. <P> I can say that our car is a '29 Whippet model 96-A coupe with a ruble seat, my dad and I did a complete frame off restoration on it back about 12 years ago. It has a straight 4-cylinder engine with a 3-speed transmission, with wood spoke wheels. If you look more closely on your car it is Willys-Overland. Willys-Overland was the parent company of Whippet (like DeSoto was to Chrysler). Whippets stopped being built during the depression era (about 1932?). Like I said, our car is a '29, like your car, our gas cap is on the back of the car to the right side just above the back bumper. If you go to the same exact location on the left side opposite from the gas cap, you may have a gas guage off that is measured by a piece of cork inside the tank and wired to the gauge. As the gas level goes up, the cork moves and the gauge reflects the fuel amount. Also on our car, the starter is activated by pulling out on the horn button and the headlights go on by turning the horn button. Depending on the year of your car, things may be different. I've never been around a Whippet with a 6-cylinder, but they did make a 6 cylinder as well. <BR> <BR> Some of the questions I can answer and some of them I can't. What I'd give to be able to go out in our shop and retrieve information and send it back to you, but right now I don't have a choice. Another good source of information is the Willys-Overland Knight Registry (WOKR). I think they have a website, but I don't have it where I'm at. I think it would be safe to say that the value of your car should be fairly close to a model 'A' in equal condition. Although the Whippet is more of a rare car, so are parts, but if you can't get the car to run, what is it worth? At least with the Model 'A' you can pick up a catalog and restore the car. With the Whippet you can't, so I would safely say that it should even out with a model 'A.'<P> Like I said, I know between now and Wednesday he's getting the truck ready for the show in Purchase. I would plan on at least a week before he would get the time to respond to you.

Whippets were made for model years 1927-1931, in Toledo, Ohio. If you could get us a Vehicle Identification Number (located on top right frame near gas tank), we can get you the year and model of the car. This would give you a starting point for finding the value.

I have a 1917 Overland tourer and have found Overland a very simple and trouble free car. What is the body? You also mentioned that your Grandfather has some flat 4 dodge cars. I am at present restoring a 21 car and might be interested if he had any parts for sale wink.gif" border="0