Sign in to follow this  
Jukebox Jonesie

GM / Buick Lovers I need HELP

Dear Buick fans or any classic car lover,

I am new to the classic's but knew id own one soon after seeing the special in movies like this boys life and dont tell mom the babysitter is dead. I finally just bought a 1955 Buick special 3 speed on the column with 80k miles on it. Since im in my 20s this older technology on this car is like my grandparents with my ipod, definitely takes reading and just getting under the hood.

After not running for 25yrs I changed the battery, drained all fluids, bought new non detergent oil and an oil canister filter, put lead addictive in the gas & she fired right up.

Issue 1.) Now I can feel the clutch is slipping badly and needs to be replaced. The issue im having is the correct parts and how to do it. I cant find a clutch kit for sale ( I can but not sure what size ) nor do I know the best way to change it. Ive seen pull the motor or some tube and rear end forum.

Issue 2.) Now it wont start. Which I think im going to buy a new starter and solenoid so that takes 2 of the maybes gone. I heard the relay or switch by the carb and manifold can go bad but rare. The motor wont even turn over with a new battery but everything comes on so I think its one of those I listed but any info is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time & help : )

while I'm no buick expert, I think I can help answer your question. it would be much easier to loosen and move toward the rear of the car the rearend/torque tube assembly so that the manual transmission can be remove from the engine, that would be much less time and labor than trying to remove the engine from the car. once you have removed the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing, you might also remove the flywheel to have it checked and perhaps have the flywheel surface. take the the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw out bearing to a napa or heavy duty parts house for getting a new throw out bearing and have the pressure plate and clutch disc rebuilt or replaced. on the carburetor linkage you'll find the starting switch mounted, you should be able to use a jumper wire to bypass the switch and see if the starter will engage and turn the engine over. you may simply have a dirty or loose electrical connection. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

Thanks Pontiac 1953. Ill try the rear solution 1st, I need to change my gas tank too so while im under there this will be the time. I thought about the flywheel like u said. There's a shop here in town that charges 25-30 dollars. I thought that was a pretty good deal for the surfacing. Appreciate the tips, going to try and tackle this now before the heat gets here in the south.

The VERY FIRST thing you need to buy is a 1955 shop manual.......................Bob

Bhigdog is right on. Most of your questions will be answered there.

Do not take the "modern" mechanic route of when something goes wrong, start replacing things until it works.

The most important part of owning any car is DIAGNOSIS. What is really wrong?

The clutch slips - did you try to adjust it?

The engine wont start. Does it crank? Is there electricity to the starter (if it isnt there replacing the starter isnt going to help much).

Buick starting electricals can be a pain to sort out to get working right. The fact that your car did run and suddenly quit suggests it is something other than the starter.

Changing a clutch on a torque tube Buick is a royal pain.

If you have to change it Bobs Automobilia is a good source - they have a web site with lots of Buick parts.

But first, get the msnual

Jukebox, I just did mine on my 54 Special. These are pretty much the same. In fact, I used a 55 transmission to replace the original. You can catch the process here:

http://www.1954buick.com/showthread.php?9041-Diary-of-a-Special-Clutch.....

I purchased my clutch kit from here:

http://www.kanter.com///gallery.aspx?Tg=696006&Mak=Buick&Yr=1955&Dv=1&Dpt=1500&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Prc=

Arrived in about a week. Came complete with improved pressure plate, clutch plate and throw-out bearing. It also had the clutch alignment tool. Fit like a charm. Pulls like a champ.

Please call on me if you have questions!

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I have a mess of Carter stuff and just might have that switch assembly, NOS in the original Carter box. Give me a shout if yours is wonkers and and I'll go diggin to see which ones I have.