Cowl Lights

Guest Ronnie Pickral

Guest Ronnie Pickral

I have a 1931 Ford Model A closed cab pickup. I want to install cowl lights. I have purchased them from Mac's, but got no instructions. Can anyone help me determine the correct location and procedure for drilling? Thanks, RP

On a 1930-1931 there is a heavy, stamped steel brace that was used on all the body styles that runs from the floor to the top of the cowl panel on the inside of the cowl (the upholstery would cover this). This brace was furnished with a hole for the cowl light to go through and was used on all models whether or not they had cowl lamps installed at the factory. The cowl light arm extends through the sheetmetal of the cowl , then through a wood block and then the special bolt on the cowl lamp tightens it against the hole in the stamped brace. Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield, Ohio offers a special locating tool (part number: A-13300-X that can be used to find the exact spot on the sheet metal cowl panel to drill through for a few dollars. They also sell the correct wood blocks ( part number A-13318) which you need when installing the cowl lights for another couple of bucks. I am sure the other Model A parts vendors have these as well. Here are photos of both the tool and the blocks as well as an original a closeup of the cowl lamps correctly installed on a 1931. Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

post-31738-14314241053_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142410534_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142410535_thumb.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What a nice reply, and you posted photos as well! Sure would be nice if all replies were as instructive as this. I'd recommend buying one of those tapered multi step drills for a one shot drilling. Place the wood block inside and tape it in place so you don't dimple the sheetmetal. Bob

A step drill would be too long and might damage the tank or something else before it got to the proper increment. I think the hole is 7/8" which is a standard OD size of a 1/2" pipe. If that's the case you can get a punch from any electrician. If you have to use a hole saw make sure you put a piece of protecting plywood inside.

• 1 month later...