What should I do with this 1955 Ford Thunderbird?

Guest jojoma14

Guest jojoma14

Hello,

I have a 1955 Ford Thunderbird that is in the process of being rebuilt. It was my dad’s, who just passed away, and none of us kids live in the area, so we'd like to find a new owner for the car. Any idea what I should do with it at this point? Would anyone buy a car like this either for parts or to continue with the rebuild? Any idea how to best determine a value in its current state?

Thanks a lot for any info you may have.

post-99384-143142404537_thumb.jpg

Edited by jojoma14 (see edit history)

I would suggest you indicate a location. I am sure it has some value, but it would either require a visit or a rather detailed description, or a lot of photos.

I know someone here in CT that does almost nothing but restoring T birds, so if the car is nearby I can get you in contact with him.

John

Thanks for the replies. The car is located in the Detroit, MI area. I visited the shop doing the work. Apparently about $12,000 in parts has been put into it (such as an original hood shipped in from California, new panels, etc.) I was told it would take around $20,000 more to get it to excellent condition.

I'm sure someone would very much like to have it as a project, though as was mentioned it would need someone knowledgeable to go over it in detail to see what it really will need. The amount you have already invested plus the $20 estimate is going to be in the neighborhood of the value when completed for a decent restoration. You would get more if it were a showpiece restoration, but then you would have to invest much more. Either way you go you would likely be getting out of it what you are putting into it.

Best to sell it as is. You will not get anywhere near what you have in it. But the only alternative is to have it finished and if you do that, you will lose even more money.

Worst thing you can do is try to get it finished on the cheap. Any potential buyer for a newly restored Tbird, at a newly restored price, will be unbelievably picky. To get top price it would have to be perfect, and then you might wait a long time for a qualified buyer who has the money.

The repairs on the front fender are not top quality work. Bondo is never applied over paint. It also looks like the rear of the fender is about to get the same treatment.

I would look the car over very carefully if I were buying it, and discount any body work already done as it would have to be completely re-done.

It looks like the filler is over primer and they just left the headlight ring on to get the contour right. The rim is still just painted and you can see where they sanded through the paint on it blocking the fender to match. (they didn't fit the body that well to begin with) Looks like a real body shop by the equipment in the background. It looks like it might have had rust though as the rocker looks to be a replacement that isn't finished.

Sorry for your loss. I agree completely with the advice to sell as is. Take some great pictures, write up every detail, make sure you have a clean title and put it on eBay with a very reasonable reserve.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that T-Birds bring 1/2 the money of a Corvette. They made thousands and thousands and they never got crushed.

My sympathies on the loss of you father. I agree with the other posts. I would definitely sell the car and wouldn't be surprised if you get something in $8K to $9K range. It was born and lived in the rust belt and probably has many rust repairs that can be seen and others that can't in the pictures. If you look on Ebay under completed listings you will see what other cars in the same general condition have sold for. Most cars that aren't running and in about the shape of you dad's car sell for less than $10K. If you have both tops that is a plus and adds about $3K to the value. In fact, if it has a soft top you can take it out of the car and sell it separately. In my opinion, you will not get an "excellent" restoration by handing the shop $20K. That sounds like a down payment on what it would take to do a complete restoration given all that needs to be done to the car.

Good Luck,