HELP: trouble with 1966 Riviera hideaway lights

Guest Bling86

Guest Bling86

Hi all, I am fairly new to the forum and own a 66 riviera for one year now.

My car's hideaway motor do not operate with the light knob (i.e. on:lowers off:retracts), the motor however lowers/retracts headlights manually through a seperate switch fitted on the dash. So basically i have to switch on the lights and lower them from that seperate switch.

Now i want to get the hideway lights operation back to its original state. Any ideas of the parts i will need getting checked and replaced?

I don't know exactly what your problem is but I think I'd start by getting a wiring diagram for your car and see where it's been altered. Perhaps a relay has been bypassed or some such scenario. Look to see where the separate switch is wired in, what it's taking the place of, and things of that sort. Chances are you'll find it yourself by doing this than hoping someone just happens to have had the same thing go wrong.

Ed

• Like 1

Ed is right. Attempts to help you diagnose an electrical problem when someone has modified factory wiring would likely be a futile effort.

I can tell you most problems associated with an inoperative headlamp motor are related to the main and auxiliary headlamp relays. One on the driver side firewall and one in the right front rad support/fender area. Typcially the one on the firewall will prevent the lamps from opening and the aux relay in the right front will prevent them from closing if not working but really, the problem could be any number of places especially if someone was already working on it unsuccessfully.

The factory shop manual has an awesome color wiring diagram as well as pages specifically for the headlamp wiring. If you don't have a shop manual thats the first thing you should spend money on because you will need for many things besides this.

Your first order of business will be to insure the wiring is restored back to the way it should be without the manual switch that was added. Then from there with a diagram and an electrical tester you can begin tracing it out.

I met a guy once who was very proud of himself because in 4 hours he rewired a 67's headlamp motor circuitry adding switches and relays to the make the motor "work like it should". He didn't bother to get a shop manual with a wiring diagram to figure out why it quit working to begin with. He had no idea the auxiliary relay existed and I didn't have the heart to tell him at that point.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
Guest hiyudon

Recently had the same problem with my car. All it was? I removed the relays, cleaned all connections, made good grounds and it came back to life.

• 3 months later...
Guest Dannys66

Jason, I found this post because I am now on the list of lights dont go down but they go up. I removed the aux on the pass side, took it apart and cleaned it thinking it was the down relay but based on this post i think its the one near drivers side fender. Hope i did not ruin it. There are two near there. Is it the one that is closest to the fender? 66 Riv

post-110186-143143093691_thumb.jpg

Jason, I found this post because I am now on the list of lights dont go down but they go up. I removed the aux on the pass side, took it apart and cleaned it thinking it was the down relay but based on this post i think its the one near drivers side fender. Hope i did not ruin it. There are two near there. Is it the one that is closest to the fender? 66 Riv

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306995[/ATTACH]

Make sure the ignition key is in the "on" position for the lights to close.

Tom Mooney

Yes the relay closest to fender (pretty sure). My car has been apart so long I am going from memory. Its the one with an orange wire w/black stripe, brown wire, black wire w/light blue stripe, etc.

With the headlamp switch on try tapping on the relay. If they still don't go down remove the wiring plug from relay and with a jumper wire from battery apply 12 volt+ to the brown wire. If lights go down, relay is problem. If they still don't go down remove the wiring plug from motor and apply same 12 volt to the terminal on motor the brown wire was connected to.

To test this relay apply 12 volt+ to the relay terminal where the black w/light blue strip wire connects. The case of the relay must be grounded so if unbolted for the test be sure its grounded somewhere. You should be able to hear the relay clicking.

Report back what you found.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

If you mean the relay on the firewall that sends the headlights down/on, those were still available not too long ago because same relay is used in other applications. It was the aux relay on front right rad support that is not available.

Check CARS website and search 63 & Up Riviera then "relay" in search field. They provide pics of pin configurations so maybe you can match one up.

Last one I got was from NAPA but I do not know what the number is. If you have a "good" NAPA store they might be able to match it for you. Maybe someone else will chime in the number.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

If you mean the relay on the firewall that sends the headlights down/on, those were still available not too long ago because same relay is used in other applications. It was the aux relay on front right rad support that is not available.

Check CARS website and search 63 & Up Riviera then "relay" in search field. They provide pics of pin configurations so maybe you can match one up.

Last one I got was from NAPA but I do not know what the number is. If you have a "good" NAPA store they might be able to match it for you. Maybe someone else will chime in the number.

Yeah, thats the part that I need to replace. The front right aux relay is still good.

I could not find a match at NAPA and I think I found one for a 65 Riviera at CARS:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=6726

Still on the hunt.

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg

Perhaps this? Wow thats a long link...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Actuator-Relay-For-1965-Buick-Riviera-1968-1964-1969-1966-1971-G126KZ/153318045651?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23b277b7d3:g:gvMAAOSwKgZdP2~t&enc=AQAEAAACYBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qV%2Bk53ypqktPk1n%2BmAOszonRTNRpQaN3y%2FJ%2FvQnJo6RcAjWpoT5A5vnE7O4fg%2FhOEgy4lUo469QkzGJdJMPFj95t1TbjRkhyMSTwh0SKGczpP059qpL3gRn8PKhXVF7L0hRecW6Y6RInJaRLcwjmOJqC9MNSNPGhiznmnLUJfJWJT2zpBzGuWpyEM2GiJWAGqCrEYzgrQUAugCOJr5s%2FR6wHM92vMUM3rD3iK3xALzD0oLHMMBQlF7cLsxw4emUk5gf%2FUyGOPaLoLwxeXrpWck5Sps9DGVwWR%2FiV4ngRVCYPXnVuzJId53o6q20ejt5WXoY2nQ61r3zId%2BwGGQI%2FSoWYgj%2FiuPECJR5oDWLUof0X8mjVDAeHr%2BULb6yenQ%2Bb7ZUhoJCAhwIsEyHZkm0Dv21RC%2Bu68HxyszD%2B8p%2F%2FR9KQrB7ec%2BF3UqAlq7UNIOc9E2fRt0%2F%2FqxVv3ZFfp0NazfrVn%2FuLAjdiA85Kiqg%2F%2Bu%2BJXFCjs8crDpYjm1htPrixf1AepmFY9n7z7J5VvA4yxhj6IJ%2BCsZSUE9LiOGyq0ZxfTLsgLu%2BWY2t7wFQCvggAURgzEI%2Fq4fomkT4zDVR9YJH1Uw0NSC3wdxyAJOdUSwM08whH1ASQYF%2FMGwC5qni3VLxINUYctjKg7ZCsKT7JdF9a7emQhfzFEpG79q4S61OiZT2ejGxgxvR56%2FSQaEx7ORjkXQ3tmZrpt0XHOTIjZ%2BG%2B5EBXhfeqAw9NeEvWElr6QIxhPhHOp4StiCVn7S40fjh7xIWeZbBNkxT3HIJeKJB&checksum=1533180456519d629ba10a664483994389981c0ddade&enc=AQAEAAACYBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qV%2Bk53ypqktPk1n%2BmAOszonRTNRpQaN3y%2FJ%2FvQnJo6RcAjWpoT5A5vnE7O4fg%2FhOEgy4lUo469QkzGJdJMPFj95t1TbjRkhyMSTwh0SKGczpP059qpL3gRn8PKhXVF7L0hRecW6Y6RInJaRLcwjmOJqC9MNSNPGhiznmnLUJfJWJT2zpBzGuWpyEM2GiJWAGqCrEYzgrQUAugCOJr5s%2FR6wHM92vMUM3rD3iK3xALzD0oLHMMBQlF7cLsxw4emUk5gf%2FUyGOPaLoLwxeXrpWck5Sps9DGVwWR%2FiV4ngRVCYPXnVuzJId53o6q20ejt5WXoY2nQ61r3zId%2BwGGQI%2FSoWYgj%2FiuPECJR5oDWLUof0X8mjVDAeHr%2BULb6yenQ%2Bb7ZUhoJCAhwIsEyHZkm0Dv21RC%2Bu68HxyszD%2B8p%2F%2FR9KQrB7ec%2BF3UqAlq7UNIOc9E2fRt0%2F%2FqxVv3ZFfp0NazfrVn%2FuLAjdiA85Kiqg%2F%2Bu%2BJXFCjs8crDpYjm1htPrixf1AepmFY9n7z7J5VvA4yxhj6IJ%2BCsZSUE9LiOGyq0ZxfTLsgLu%2BWY2t7wFQCvggAURgzEI%2Fq4fomkT4zDVR9YJH1Uw0NSC3wdxyAJOdUSwM08whH1ASQYF%2FMGwC5qni3VLxINUYctjKg7ZCsKT7JdF9a7emQhfzFEpG79q4S61OiZT2ejGxgxvR56%2FSQaEx7ORjkXQ3tmZrpt0XHOTIjZ%2BG%2B5EBXhfeqAw9NeEvWElr6QIxhPhHOp4StiCVn7S40fjh7xIWeZbBNkxT3HIJeKJB&checksum=1533180456519d629ba10a664483994389981c0ddade

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

Gabe,

Go to Napa or any parts store and ask for a high blower relay for the `65 Riv. If their books (computer) doesnt go back that far Buick probably used the same relay well into the `70`s.

If you cant find one I have NOS Delco...but I will need to compare it to the relay on my `66 to be sure the mounting holes and terminal arrangement is the same. I want to say there is some sort of rubber insulator at one of the terminal locations on the original that makes it unique in appearance but cant recall at the moment.

Tom Mooney

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Gabe,

Go to Napa or any parts store and ask for a high blower relay for the `65 Riv. If their books (computer) doesnt go back that far Buick probably used the same relay well into the `70`s.

If you cant find one I have NOS Delco...but I will need to compare it to the relay on my `66 to be sure the mounting holes and terminal arrangement is the same. I want to say there is some sort of rubber insulator at one of the terminal locations on the original that makes it unique in appearance but cant recall at the moment.

Tom Mooney

Ok, thanks Tom! 

I went back and looked at the parts and have to correct myself in that the picture I was showing was of the Auxillary and the other relay that is on the firewall I am looking for has a distinct circular part on it. I should probably just replace both if I can find em.

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

17 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Ok, thanks Tom! 

I went back and looked at the parts and have to correct myself in that the picture I was showing was of the Auxillary and the other relay that is on the firewall I am looking for has a distinct circular part on it. I should probably just replace both if I can find em.

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

Hi Gabe,

Yes, that is the insulator I was referring to. I expect the aftermarket replacement is wired the same way and should work.

Did you try to disassemble the original and clean the points?

Tom

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, Chimera said:

Yeah, thats the part that I need to replace. The front right aux relay is still good.

I could not find a match at NAPA and I think I found one for a 65 Riviera at CARS:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=6726

Still on the hunt.

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg

The page doesn't exist anymore. Anymore Leeds or part number?

On 11/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, Chimera said:

Ok, thanks Tom! 

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

Do you have a part number?