64 in line FUEL FILTER IS fULL OF AIR

TallJohn

I tried to post yesterday but I don't see it in the list of e-mails /posts. Anyway,I started up the 64 and just happen to notice my clear in-line fuel filter had a ton of big air bubbles going through it like an aquarium. The car was running ok as normal. I checked all the line connections and they are good. The only piece of old hose is that from the metal line at the passenger door to the fuel pump. Line looked ok , some minor cracking.Gas tank was re-done 8 months ago and I put a new fuel line there when I put the tank in. Has anyone had similar problems? Normal? My guess is I need to replace that one section of hose ( looks like a bear to do) and maybe drop the tank to triple check my work. Would a vented or non vented gas cap make a difference? Thanks for taking a look John ( # 13594)

Steady stream of bubbles seems to indicate the pump is sucking air from somewhere. As a general practice all rubber fuel hose should be replaced if its old if for no other reason to make sure the hose is compatible with newer fuel additives. This includes any that may be back at the tank not easily accessible. Cap style type shouldn't matter relative to your problem. 2nd gen cars are non-vented caps and from reading other posts am pretty sure 1st gen cars are non-vented also.

You mentioned having a clear fuel filter. Not sure on the style you have but if its one of those glass cylinder filters with chrome ends that were very popular in the late 70s and 80s they are a fire hazard.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)