"Why did I see these cars today?"

Guest De Soto Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

Had a rather unusual old car sighting today on my way to work.<P>Around 3:30pm, I was headed up PA Rte 307, heading out of Scranton to I-81.<BR>I had just passed "Chick's Diner" (beautiful old Mountain View unit!) and sitting at the gas station next door, filling up was a pre-1915 Ford Touring car, looking quite lovely.<P>When I turned my head back around to see where I was going, my eyes grew really wide when, right in front of me was a "coffin-nosed" Stanley Steamer touring car (c. 1912?), in gleaming red livery, pulling out onto the road from a side street!<BR>I watched it puff down the hill to the traffic light in my rear-view mirror, and began to wonder what had brought these two cars to my neck of the woods, and on a Thursday too; I didn't recognize either vehicle as "local".<P>I think the Stanley had some sort of sign or banner on the rear of the car...is there some sort of Tour or Rally running through NE PA this weekend?<BR>I took a quick look at the calendar on the website, but couldn't find anything to correspond.<P>Anyway, it was great to see both cars; I don't think I've ever passed a Stanley Steamer out on the open road! grin.gif" border="0 <P>I was a little pleased to be driving my '64 Valiant convertible at the time.<P>If anyone knows to what good fortune I might attribute this brief sighting, I' d sure like to know!

Just an educated guess, based on the fact that a friend had his car trailer in his drive, and he owns a 1912 Stanley. It may be a Friends of Ancient Road Transportation Society (FARTS) tour. This a group of pre 1915 car owners that drive their cars, rarely show them. Find out where they are based and treat yourself to viewing some real fine automobiles.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I'll have to back him up. I've seen the plaque before myself. I found it rather amusing.

Guest De Soto Frank

1937HD45 et al;<P>Thanks for the info & verification.<P>That's really neat to find out that there are groups that enjoy driving their cars, especially Brass Era cars!<P>My greatest joy is seeing old things in use, so it's an extra special treat to see & hear an antique going down the road!<P>I will pursue these leads and learn more about being a "FART".<BR>(Is there such a thing as an apprentice FART?)<BR> wink.gif" border="0 <P>Cheers!

Yes, it was the annual tour sponsored by the North Jersey and Southern Ontario regional groups of the HCCA. We just got back from it a few hours ago and had a wonderful week of touring.

I, too, just got back from that tour. I drove my 1914 Model T to the tour and back with no problems. <P>As far as the "Friends", they are still very active. They are far from using walkers to get around. I am 29 years old and have toured with them many times, including this years Spring tour in Connecticut.

I have heard that Friends of Ancient Road Transportation does not exist anymore. they were very particular as to membership and finally they all died off of old age. If there are any remaining,I would doubt they could get out of their walkers into a car,let alone drive one!!

Guest Mark G

Does this group have a home base and a web site. ?? I think I would just like to be an "OLD" FARTS too . I have been called that why not be a member?